Hello from the Last Frontier

Welcome aboard Sourdough, have you figured out that you are going to fit right in with this august body of hunters, shooters and gun lovers? What caliber rifles do you own, what is your favorite respective caliber for small, medium and large and or dangerous game?
Thanks. So far seems like a great group.

What caliber rifles?
6.5 CM
300 BO
300 Wthby
45-70
50 Flintlock
500 NE Double
20 Bore Flintlock/Percussion Double

Favorite to hunt?

The 6.5 CM is a sweet 1/4 MOA Mountain Rifle but I haven't hunted with it yet, so...
Small Game 300 Wthby.
Medium Game 300 Wthby.
Large Game 300 Wthby.
Dangerous Game 500 NE (I'm assuming here- as it is in transit so I haven't shot it or hunted with it yet. 45-70 otherwise)

welcome sourdough!

like velo dog, i too live in los anchorage. if you end up this direction, you should give me a shout and we can swap lies over adult beverages

welcome sourdough!

like velo dog, i too live in los anchorage. if you end up this direction, you should give me a shout and we can swap lies over adult beverages
I don't drink adult beverages but I can surely swap some lies with you while you do. I was just in Los Anchorage two days ago getting a new Apple Laptop after one of mine STB. I'll let you guys know next time I'm headed that way.

Sourdough what species have you taken with your 300 Weatherby? Do you reload? You've hunted all over the world, I too would like to read about and see photos of your exploits. One of the best things about AH is that we share our experiences and knowledge with others so they can benefit from what others have already done.

@Shootist43 The 300 Weatherby I currently have is actually a wildcat. I've had two of these. Made by a friend of mine. The first gun he called a 30 Super but I ran into some questions with customs somewhere because the ammo box dais 300 Weatherby and they didn't like the idea of me bringing in ammo without a gun for it, which of course I actually had. I finally convinced them but the next one I had him build for me (the one in the picture) he put 300 Weatherby Improved on the barrel and I've never been questioned.

He is currently building me a 300 Weatherby that will not be a wildcat. I don't hand load, he has always loaded my ammo. He will provide hand loads for the new one but I'll be able to shoot factory loads as well. In m current rifle I can shoot factory ammo but it is 1 moa when I do that because I assume its related to the brass fire forming to the chamber the same time it's sending the bullet down range.

First pic is of a wildcat round (150gr) next a factory round (180gr). Second is the current wildcat rifle.

IMG_6090.jpg

IMG_6091.jpg

The animals I've taken with this round are: Coyotes, Pigs, Whitetail Deer, Axis Deer, Fallow Deer, Aoudads, Mouflon Sheep, Bobcats, Elk, Pronghorn, Black Bear, Roe Deer, Muntjac, Red Deer, Common Blesbok, White Blesbok, Cape Bushbuck, Kalahari Gemsbok, Brindled Gnu, Red Hartebeest, Southern Greater Kudu, Mountain Reedbuck, Vaal Rhebok, Common Springbok, Black Springbok, White Springbok, Kalahari Springbok, Steenbok (shot him in the butt so as not to destroy the mount), Cheetah

Last edited:
@Sourdough
Welcome to the AH!

I see also a lot of interesting stories here to be told!
But, can you tell me about your Mexican UFO sighting, it sounds most unusual!?

Sourdough, one of the reasons I asked about the animals you've taken with your 300 Weatherby is that I own one but never shot it. It sits in a safe alongside several 300 Win. Mags and a 308 Norma Mag. The one I have, was made by rechambering a Pre-War Mod 70 from 30-06 to 300 Weatherby Mag. This conversion absolutely ruined the value of an otherwise pristine rifle. Now it is just a shooter. I normally hunt White-tailed deer in the Michigan woods. My go-to rifle for that, is a scoped 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser. One of these days one of my sons or grandkids will hopefully hunt an area where longer distances are encountered, and a 30-cal. magnum be more of a necessity.

@mark-hunter The UFO story is best told with the entirety of that trip story because of how crazy it was (for instance I also got shot at intentionally, bullet striking the ground at my feet). Next rainy day I'll see if I can write that one up.

@Shootist43 I hear what you are saying. As long as that gun shoots MOA or better you'd be fine.

It's been my experience that guns manufactured by Weatherby are hard to make sub-MOA I guess is part because they jump the bullet into the barrel.

I bought a 30-378 thinking it might be able to be made into a sub-MOA gun with a little work and would make a dandy flat shooting gun. My friend did everything he could to the gun. Bullets 2, 3, 4, 5 were flyers, yet sub-MOA. Figured out we were dealing with two problems.

1. The barrel from the factory is too short, all the powder wasn't getting burned.
2. But the really big problem was Weatherby fluted the barrel but didn't stress relieve it so a cold bore shot would go about 1 1/2" away from the next four shots which grouped very well.

Thought about just changing out the barrel but decided to just throw the gun into storage. Maybe someday I'll have my buddy put a longer, non-fluted barrel on it. Smarter thing might be to build a custom rifle off that caliber. Be fun to see how flat and fast it could shoot.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH, hope you enjoy this forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross