Hello from South Texas

mtomerlin

AH member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
16
Reaction score
4
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
NRA/Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation/SCI/DSC
Hunted
USA/Mexico/Argentina/Tanzania/South Africa
I am new and very excited to have found this forum. I am going to Tanzania in 2012 for my first African safari. Looking forward to learning from others and have an way to deal with excitement for the next year and a half. I am going to the Dallas Safari Club convention on Thursday and can't wait. Right now I am shopping for a dangerous rifle and looking forward to spend time in the gun forum. Happy New Year!
 
Welcome to AH. You will find a lot of valuable information here. I hope you shop for a rifle to hunt dangerous game and not a dangerous rifle. Just kidding.
 
You got me on that one. A dangerous game rifle it is!
 
I am going to Tanzania in 2012 for my first African safari.

Wow, that's like buying a Ferrari for your first vehicle! I'm sure you will have a great hunt. Who is your outfitter and what area will you be hunting?
 
Welcome to AH! I am going to Namibia in Sept. of '11, and had to get a rifle myself. I went with the Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger and added a Nikon Bushmaster scope. The whole package came in under $1400.00 out the door. This is my first Ruger rifle, and so far I love the gun! Hits where I aim, recoil not as bad as some have made it out to be in articles, and an all around good rifle. I chronographed the .375 Ruger recently, and found the Hornady ammo to do real close as advertised, so don't worry about punch. If you watch the outdoor channels safari shows you will see poeple using them in the field in Africa, like Steve Hornady, Craig Boddington, etc. They appear to do just fine on the big 5 in episodes I have seen. I felt that it was the most cost effective option for me and will do what I ask of it, as long as I do my part with placing the shot. You can't go wrong with the caliber .375 as it is the Acme of cartridges. Anyways, good luck and welcome!
 
Welcome to AH! What animals are you interested in hunting in Tanzania? Great destination and good luck on your future hunt.:)
 
Welcome to AH mtomerlin!
 
Welcome to AH mtomerlin!
Feel free to ask away there's a lot to learn here. Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,273
Messages
1,571,264
Members
169,319
Latest member
badootajcroad
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top