Hello from Colorado

Rhino83

Reaction score
Member of
Safari Club International , Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited
Hello, new to the site and heading to Limpopo Province, SA in July 2024. First time hunting internationally …….any tips/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard! Lots of great travel info and tips on the site!

Hello Rhino83,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Advise ?
Where do we begin ? LoL
From my personal observations and mistakes I’ve made, I will begin with the shooting part.

Get or make a set of shooting sticks that mimic whatever type your PH will be setting up for you each time.
Doesn’t matter if they are 2 legged or 3 legged or even a complicated contraption that secures the forend as well as the butt stock of your rifle, as long as you practice with same at home.
I dislike the latter, complicated ones but I understand that a few PH’s do use them.
Fortunately it’s only a very few, as these are slower to deploy.
Then standing, and your rifle supported by your sticks, practice, practice, practice and then, practice some more.
Once you get comfortable with your sticks, work on firing an accurate shot very quickly after settling onto your sticks.
I have seen more than once or twice, a client taking too many precious seconds aiming and aiming and aiming, as if preparing to shoot at a tiny insect, a mile away.
This usually resulted their antelope, warthog, etc., running away before any shot is fired.
In the past, I have been guilty of this as well.
Practice also recharging your chamber, immediately after the shot, every shot.
Even if your critter drops to the shot, quickly re-charge your chamber anyway.
Then as soon as common sense indicates otherwise, you can unload your rifle.
Us once-a-year hunters, tend to “shoot and stare”, instead of “shoot and reload”.
Make triple sure that whatever hunting shoes you bring are thoroughly broken-in and comfortable to spend all day hiking in.
Avoid light bullets and their typical ultra high velocity.
Those are perfect for shooting ground squirrels at several hundred yards but, can cause bullet violent over-expansion and even bullet fracture, which equates to failures to penetrate adequately in large, thick boned animals.
Simple formula for Africa = use a heavy for caliber bullet, at slow to moderate velocity, for almost all African hunting conditions.
For one example, I would not use less than a 180 grain bullet in any of the .30 calibers.

Of the .30’s, I like among others, the .30-06 for typical Africa hunting conditions (scattered thorn forest and occasional thick riverine bush).
Furthermore, I prefer the 220 grain round nose bullet @ 2400 feet per second, when using a .30-06 in Africa.
For more open conditions, I like the .300 H&H cartridge, with 180 grain spitzer, loaded to about 2800-2850 fps.
I have used both the above in Africa and Alaska alike, with perfect success.

That said, my favorite hunting cartridge of all is the .375 H&H.
Admittedly though, it is not everyone’s cup of tea for non-dangerous game.
If it weren’t for eland, my favorite hunting cartridge would probably be the .300 H&H, the 8x57S Mauser or the .30-06, not in any particular order.
(In case you know anyone who might give a ratsass what some out of style, old rifle grump favors).:ROFLMAO:
Sighting arrangements, I prefer a simple 4x scope and iron sights on my rifle, in case my scope decides to fail.
Or, like the clumsy oaf that I am, I decide to fall down and bash my scope to pieces.
Anyway, avoid the pitfall of having too much scope on your Africa rifle.
Most of your shots, in most Africa conditions will be under 100 yards / meters.
That said, I think it is wise to practice from the sticks, out to 4 or 500 meters, if possible where you shoot.
Again there are exceptions to the closer shooting that’s so common throughout most of Africa but generally speaking, a huge and extra powerful rifle scope is more of a hindrance than a help.

I’ll shut my sandwich grinder now and get back out to working on my honey-do list around here.
NNTR

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Hello Rhino83,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Advise ?
Where do we begin ? LoL
From my personal observations and mistakes I’ve made, I will begin with the shooting part.

Get or make a set of shooting sticks that mimic whatever type your PH will be setting up for you each time.
Doesn’t matter if they are 2 legged or 3 legged or even a complicated contraption that secures the forend as well as the butt stock of your rifle, as long as you practice with same at home.
I dislike the latter, complicated ones but I understand that a few PH’s do use them.
Fortunately it’s only a very few, as these are slower to deploy.
Then standing, and your rifle supported by your sticks, practice, practice, practice and then, practice some more.
Once you get comfortable with your sticks, work on firing an accurate shot very quickly after settling onto your sticks.
I have seen more than once or twice, a client taking too many precious seconds aiming and aiming and aiming, as if preparing to shoot at a tiny insect, a mile away.
This usually resulted their antelope, warthog, etc., running away before any shot is fired.
In the past, I have been guilty of this as well.
Practice also recharging your chamber, immediately after the shot, every shot.
Even if your critter drops to the shot, quickly re-charge your chamber anyway.
Then as soon as common sense indicates otherwise, you can unload your rifle.
Us once-a-year hunters, tend to “shoot and stare”, instead of “shoot and reload”.
Make triple sure that whatever hunting shoes you bring are thoroughly broken-in and comfortable to spend all day hiking in.
Avoid light bullets and their typical ultra high velocity.
Those are perfect for shooting ground squirrels at several hundred yards but, can cause bullet violent over-expansion and even bullet fracture, which equates to failures to penetrate adequately in large, thick boned animals.
Simple formula for Africa = use a heavy for caliber bullet, at slow to moderate velocity, for almost all African hunting conditions.
For one example, I would not use less than a 180 grain bullet in any of the .30 calibers.

Of the .30’s, I like among others, the .30-06 for typical Africa hunting conditions (scattered thorn forest and occasional thick riverine bush).
Furthermore, I prefer the 220 grain round nose bullet @ 2400 feet per second, when using a .30-06 in Africa.
For more open conditions, I like the .300 H&H cartridge, with 180 grain spitzer, loaded to about 2800-2850 fps.
I have used both the above in Africa and Alaska alike, with perfect success.

That said, my favorite hunting cartridge of all is the .375 H&H.
Admittedly though, it is not everyone’s cup of tea for non-dangerous game.
If it weren’t for eland, my favorite hunting cartridge would probably be the .300 H&H, the 8x57S Mauser or the .30-06, not in any particular order.
(In case you know anyone who might give a ratsass what some out of style, old rifle grump favors).:ROFLMAO:
Sighting arrangements, I prefer a simple 4x scope and iron sights on my rifle, in case my scope decides to fail.
Or, like the clumsy oaf that I am, I decide to fall down and bash my scope to pieces.
Anyway, avoid the pitfall of having too much scope on your Africa rifle.
Most of your shots, in most Africa conditions will be under 100 yards / meters.
That said, I think it is wise to practice from the sticks, out to 4 or 500 meters, if possible where you shoot.
Again there are exceptions to the closer shooting that’s so common throughout most of Africa but generally speaking, a huge and extra powerful rifle scope is more of a hindrance than a help.

I’ll shut my sandwich grinder now and get back out to working on my honey-do list around here.
NNTR

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Thank you sir……..already on top of the shooting, sticks (PH uses trigger stick), positions and ranges.

Going for plains game Gemsbok/Nyala and smaller…..rifle/cartridge of choice is Bergara Ridge Wilderness, 7mm rem mag w/ 160gr Nolser TSX

:S Welcome:

Welcome from the Western Slope.

I have been over twice and might get the itch to go over again.

This site will have all the answers to your questions, but if you don't see the answer go ahead and ask.

Welcome from the Western Slope.

I have been over twice and might get the itch to go over again.

This site will have all the answers to your questions, but if you don't see the answer go ahead and ask.

Thanks……will do. Also on west slope (GJ)

Hi again Rhino83,

I know the Bergara rifle is made in Spain and is generally a good rifle, accurate and reliable.
But that’s about all I know about them.
However, I’m not at all familiar with their “Ridge Wilderness” model specifically (or any other individual model they make).
Nonetheless, no doubt it will serve you quite well.

As for the 7mm Remington Magnum, I have used that particular cartridge with perfect success in N. America, including Idaho, Nevada and Alaska, with great satisfaction.
I would not hesitate to use it in Africa, for the other antelopes plus, piggy wiggy, and such.

The quartering toward me shots on eland require, in my opinion a heavy, somewhat larger caliber bullet, at low to moderate velocity, in order to break through and drive all the way into the vitals.
Their shoulder bones are thick and “impact resistant”.
Zebra can also be a challenge for light fast bullets, on the same angle shots.
Zebra, especially Hartmann’s Mountain zebra, are surprisingly and delightfully excellent eating, very comparable to N. American elk.
Blah, blah, blah, whatever. :ROFLMAO:
But eland and zebra not on your list so, you’re all set.

Regarding the Barnes TSX bullet, I have zero experience with it, and I do not generally care for hollow point bullets, with or without a plastic stub in the nose, having experienced erratic performance from hollow point bullets, rifle and handgun bullets both.
However, Barnes monolithic hollow point bullets indeed, do have a very fine reputation on game.
That is for sure and I cannot argue against that.
Also, if I was to use that bullet, I’d want to fire them at high velocity, in order to get reliable expansion from them.
Your caliber choice is perfect for it.

I do very much like the 7mm Magnum for longer shots at game, in open country.
That said, if I was to use today’s Barnes monolithic hollow point bullets, the 7mm Magnum drives them fast enough to cause them to expand … usually … (no bullet is perfect, even the old fashioned, round nose, heavy for caliber, lead core ones that I definitely prefer).
Anyway, I expect that you will have perfect success on Nyala and lesser game, at any range, long or short, due to it’s reputation of not shattering against muscle and bone.
Indeed and again by reputation, they are extra tough and penetrate well.

I look forward to your Hunt Report, upon your triumphant return home.(y)

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH. Just start reading and asking questions.,

Welcome to AH Rhino83!

Good day!! Welcome!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH Rhino. It is easy, just come to Africa and start enjoying it on the plane.

Welcome to AH and the posting side! This forum has a wealth of information from some highly knowledgeable folks, enjoy!

Welcome to AH! Nice to have you on the forum.

Welcome from Wyoming! Lots of good information above.
For me the two key things to do upfront which will make everything else on your trip very enjoyable is 1. Get a good travel agent. We use Travel Express out of Montana. Jennifer does a great job. And 2. We use Rifle. Permits in South Africa to secure our rifle permits.

After you get those two helping you out with your planning the rest of it is enjoyable to plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.