Hello from Alabama

BKS1

AH member
Joined
Jul 2, 2026
Messages
24
Reaction score
47
Location
South Alabama
When I was little I would stay awake at night reading old issues of Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Guns and Ammo and imagine I was going to Africa to hunt the "big 5" a safari was a lifetime dream. Well life and medical issues, mainly with a flight that long, will prevent me from ever doing it. I retired from law enforcement in 2019 and moved to AL in 2024. Currently work in private security.

I'm here because I found and purchased a Winchester Model 70 Super Classic Express in 458 Winchester Magnum w/ a Leupold 1.5x5 on it. The price was right, the rifle was in nice shape so I bought it and the scope for less than a new Marlin 45/70. I'll dream of hunting Africa but may have to settle for a Water Buffalo in FL. I plan on reloading for it and will probably use it for deer, hogs, and the "Oh Wow" factor.
I'm reading everything I can find on the gun and cartridge and will gladly accept any input for the knowledge base here.
 
It's never to late to hunt Africa. ;)

Besides, you can't let that wonderful new rifle sit alone in the safe. Take it to Africa and do the hunt you've always dreamed of.

Shorter hops are a possibility to get there.

In any case, hang out around here and you find a really great group. We even have dinners and get togetthers.
 
Last edited:
:S Welcome:
 
Welcome welcome welcome
 
....So your fun starts now!
 
Welcome, where in LA are you?
There’s a few other AH’ers from south Alabama, coastal Mississippi and the Florida panhandle here on the site.
If you don’t think you’ll ever make it to Africa I believe you’re on the wrong forum! This is the biggest bunch of enablers out there. Seriously though welcome to the site it’s very informative about all things hunting among other things.
 
My 1300.00 rifle
I live near Dauphin Island and work in Mobile
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5455.jpeg
    IMG_5455.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 79
I live between Magnolia Springs and Bon Secour.
If you’re ever over on this side of the bay look us up. If you need a place to shoot that rifle I have a great place in the backyard for it.
 
Howdy,

If you reload, try some 350 TSX's in your 458 WM. They'll flatten your trajectory at about 2500 fps with a lot less recoil and be more than enough gun for anything you might hunt here in the States.

Mark
 
Welcome, i used to keep my Topaz at the old Sportsman Marina in Orange Beach. I spent a lot of time down there when i lived in the ATL.
 
When I was little I would stay awake at night reading old issues of Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Guns and Ammo and imagine I was going to Africa to hunt the "big 5" a safari was a lifetime dream. Well life and medical issues, mainly with a flight that long, will prevent me from ever doing it. I retired from law enforcement in 2019 and moved to AL in 2024. Currently work in private security.

I'm here because I found and purchased a Winchester Model 70 Super Classic Express in 458 Winchester Magnum w/ a Leupold 1.5x5 on it. The price was right, the rifle was in nice shape so I bought it and the scope for less than a new Marlin 45/70. I'll dream of hunting Africa but may have to settle for a Water Buffalo in FL. I plan on reloading for it and will probably use it for deer, hogs, and the "Oh Wow" factor.
I'm reading everything I can find on the gun and cartridge and will gladly accept any input for the knowledge base here.
Welcome. I just moved from LA to Huntsville. I was wholly unaware of how many folks we had on the coast but the forum (and I bet those folks in LA!) are a tremendous resource.
 
I live between Magnolia Springs and Bon Secour.
If you’re ever over on this side of the bay look us up. If you need a place to shoot that rifle I have a great place in the backyard for it.
I was in Foley for 5 years and moved to Huntsville last month.

My boat is still in Magnolia Springs and is on the river right now with family who are pointing it into the bay for redfish

Glad to know how prevalent we are down that way. I clearly should've posted about my presence so we could've met up.
 
Good day! Welcome from our side too!
 
Welcome to AH BKS1@
 
Never say never!
Until now, you could have looked for an excuse, but since you got the 458, now you have to take it to Africa.
Maybe the two of us will meet somewhere hunting for a daga boy. I wish you good health and good hunting.
Welcome
 
Welcome aboard!
 
G’day from Australia
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,362
Members
169,541
Latest member
ithunmersa1975
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top