Hello and thank you for letting me share with you

Uwe, it was the 404 Jeffery that I was most surprised about. I've been around firearms for most of my 77 years and never heard of a 404 Jeffery until I joined AH five years ago. The caliber is held in high regard by quite a number of experienced hunters from around the world. Personally I prefer it to my single shot 416 Rigby which I also consider to be a very good rifle. Do you handload for your Jeffery, if so would you mind sharing your loading data? I'd like to compare it to the one that many of us use.

Welcome to the forum! There is no shortage of .404 and .375 fans here.
I bought a Somchem Powder reloading manual on one of my trips to Namibia just to have one for reference but those powders are not available in the U.S. Somchem was the only brand of powder that my friends were able to find in Namibia at the time and I believe this is still the case.

Uwe, it was the 404 Jeffery that I was most surprised about. I've been around firearms for most of my 77 years and never heard of a 404 Jeffery until I joined AH five years ago. The caliber is held in high regard by quite a number of experienced hunters from around the world. Personally I prefer it to my single shot 416 Rigby which I also consider to be a very good rifle. Do you handload for your Jeffery, if so would you mind sharing your loading data? I'd like to compare it to the one that many of us use.
Shootist43, you are welcome. I use 350 or 400 gr Peregrine VRG3 bullets for my 404 (and 375). Using our local Somchem powders became increasingly difficult, so swopped over to using Vihtavuori N550 (same powder for all my calibers!). For the 350 gr bullet, I load 85.7 gr N550 which gives me a pressure of 45368 psi and pushes the bullet out at 2496 ft/sec with a muzzle energy just under 5000 ft-lbs. - not much that stands up to that.For the 400 gr VRG 3 I load 81.4 gr N550. Pressure 49812 psi, speed 2380 ft/sec and muzzle energy just over 5000 ft/lbs.

Welcome to AH Uwe - great looking rifles!

Uwe, Your South African Peregrine bullets come highly recommended. I wish they were available in the States, unfortunately they are not. For now I'm using 400 Gr. Swift A Frames pushed by 84 Grains of H4350, for a velocity of 2300 FPS. That load produces MOA or less sized groups in a lot of different rifles owned by various AH members. BTW it groups 400 Gn. Woodleigh(s) equally as well.

Welcome to the forum! There is no shortage of .404 and .375 fans here.
I bought a Somchem Powder reloading manual on one of my trips to Namibia just to have one for reference but those powders are not available in the U.S. Somchem was the only brand of powder that my friends were able to find in Namibia at the time and I believe this is still the case.
Hi Dirtdart, Somchem in the past two years has steadily become a desaster - huge variations between batches and the availability became a serious issue. I switched over to Vithavuorie (at a hefty premium) but I now have stability with my reloads. By now we are able to get most internationally available powders, but all of them come at a much higher cost than Somchem powders. You guys in the US are just so lucky

Uwe, Your South African Peregrine bullets come highly recommended. I wish they were available in the States, unfortunately they are not. For now I'm using 400 Gr. Swift A Frames pushed by 84 Grains of H4350, for a velocity of 2300 FPS. That load produces MOA or less sized groups in a lot of different rifles owned by various AH members. BTW it groups 400 Gn. Woodleigh(s) equally as well.
I use Woodleighs as well, which are excellent bullets as well, but I swear by Peregrine VRG 3s, simply because they travel deadstraight through even the thickest bush, with their flat meplats - really impressive. You seem to be doing well though - don’t change a thing, mate

Hello Uwe Jaspersen,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Also, you have excellent taste in both rifles and calibers, indeed you do.

Cheers,
Paul.
Thank you so much, Paul

G'day Uwe. I'm sure many here would love to hear of your experiences, and see some pics of the game you've taken. (y)

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH and the posting side @Uwe Jaspersen! Great to have you here and we are looking forward to you sharing your stories!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross