Heading to South Africa (not hunting)

No where near Cape Town- roughly 9 hr drive, but yes it is a very cool place. I had a great time there, although I did hear over and over that what I saw never happens there so maybe I was just really lucky?
Can second the Addo recommendation. I visited in April of last year, and having elephants walk alongside your tiny rental car was an experience.

Quite a long drive from Cape Town, but an easy route most of the way. Just highway driving, and some very pretty scenery.

lol... coming from Ontario winter to SA summer maybe the cold Atlantic surf will be required.

There's always shark cage diving to send an extra shiver up your back;)
I was considering the shark cage, but I didn't like how she started to refer to me as "Chum" It didn't seem like a friendly use of the term.

We flew from Toronto to Addis Ababa on Ethiopian Airlines. I really like their business class because it is relatively inexpensive, but makes that trip much more comfortable. It's not the best in class but you still get to lie down with a degree of privacy. Also, you seem to spend the entire 13 hours or so eating, drinking and sleeping. That doesn't suck at all.

But, there is always a catch. In this case it is this:
Screenshot_20240217_111930_Chrome.jpg

What is weird about that is I was able to find and view other hunting websites, like the Hunting Consortium. So, I do not know what the violation is.

The transfer to the second leg of the journey was interesting. I have done this route before, and there is a controlled chaos evident, but it functions perfectly fine. It just jangles my uptight nerves. This time everyone who had an international transfer had to clear security. It was madness as the security team tried to clear a plane load of frantic folks. In the process a gold necklace I had to remove got lost when I put it in one of those bins. I was through security and off to the side when I told my wife. An employee of the airline somehow picked up through the masses that I had an issue and came over to ask me what was wrong. She told me to go and speak to the women at the xrays screens. When I approached one looked over and handed me my necklace! Unbelievable. I am very impressed to say the least.

I go to Cape Town a couple times a month and will be going this week. If you want to take the cable car to the top at Table Mountain do it early (before the winds pick up) and spend the extra money for the express ride. There are almost no bad bets as ar as food is concerned. Some of my favorites are Belthazar, Karibu, Willoghby's and Baia at the V&A Waterfront. There are tons more. If you haven't done the Cape tour before it is a great way to start the trip and get an idea of the area and see some great sights. It has been hot there recently (over 90 degrees) during the day but the evenings have been pleasant. Wine tasting is great and very inexpensive. I always hire a driver so never an issue with drunk driving. If you go to Franschoek the wine train is fun once but not really a great way to get around in my opinion.

We flew from Toronto to Addis Ababa on Ethiopian Airlines. I really like their business class because it is relatively inexpensive, but makes that trip much more comfortable. It's not the best in class but you still get to lie down with a degree of privacy. Also, you seem to spend the entire 13 hours or so eating, drinking and sleeping. That doesn't suck at all.

But, there is always a catch. In this case it is this:
View attachment 588073

What is weird about that is I was able to find and view other hunting websites, like the Hunting Consortium. So, I do not know what the violation is.

The transfer to the second leg of the journey was interesting. I have done this route before, and there is a controlled chaos evident, but it functions perfectly fine. It just jangles my uptight nerves. This time everyone who had an international transfer had to clear security. It was madness as the security team tried to clear a plane load of frantic folks. In the process a gold necklace I had to remove got lost when I put it in one of those bins. I was through security and off to the side when I told my wife. An employee of the airline somehow picked up through the masses that I had an issue and came over to ask me what was wrong. She told me to go and speak to the women at the xrays screens. When I approached one looked over and handed me my necklace! Unbelievable. I am very impressed to say the least.
I had the same problem on the Qatar wifi in May.....

After an arduous stalk along the waterfront, we finally got our first trophy.
20240218_211021.jpg

This was enjoyed at Karibou. A fantastic restaurant in Cape Town. When we were going there I got turned around, and could not find it. I called the restaurant and a nice young lady volunteered to just walk to where we were to collect my wife and I! Everyone in this town is so very friendly. If you are on safari and want a place to visit before or after, this town is a great. Good restaurants and a vibrant crafts scene.

I met some South Africans that live near where I hunt Turkey’s in California. They take groups over once a year to RSA. He always tells me to go to the largest feather farm in the world near Cape Town. I’m sure everyone who lives there knows about it and can direct you there. He takes his group to Addo and Shamwari game reserve near PE. I’ve been to Addo it’s great. The best place I’ve been to for 2 days isJeffery’s bay . The sea life you I saw from my room at Super Tubes hotel (room $75 night with breakfast )is amazing. Porpoises/ Sealions . Super safe with an unreal salt water tackle shop and a fantastic restaurant. I wrote a report about it when I hunted with Stompiesland safaris. Flights are cheap to Port Elizabeth!!! The Garden Route has a lot to offer!!!! Everyone I hunted with in East Cape (4 hunts)says to take a 3 day drive from PE to Capetown stopping along the way. Here’s your chance!!!

IMG-20240222-WA0010.jpg

Why I go to South Africa

The first time we were in South Africa I went to a park. I did enjoy it. But after being in the country a few times I really wanted to see what else it had to offer. I looked into a fishing charter but for various reasons that didn't come together.

My alterior motive is to figure out if this country would make for a good retirement destination. That's a few years away, though.
Enjoy your time in Cape Town and surroundings.
No doubt it's a beautiful country.
But as far as retiring I would think three times for various reasons...and I'm not saying this lightly, I have family living there.
Be safe and be careful.

Enjoy your time in Cape Town and surroundings.
No doubt it's a beautiful country.
But as far as retiring I would think three times for various reasons...and I'm not saying this lightly, I have family living there.
Be safe and be careful.
I take note. Everyone has cameras and armed security. Even in places like Franschhoek. I am truly praying for a good outcome this May. The country has everything to be successful except for an ethical government. I heard a minister lamenting that the land distribution process has been flawed. People who made claims in 1998 have died waiting. Elders with knowledge are now gone. What a travesty, she says.

Wait, haven't you been in power since 1993.....

Whoops.

On the flip side, two corrupt judges are being removed, four arrested for killing a senior Hawks officer. A strong and free press. Maybe there is hope. There are many struggling to improve life here. The next few years will be very telling.

I take note. Everyone has cameras and armed security. Even in places like Franschhoek. I am truly praying for a good outcome this May. The country has everything to be successful except for an ethical government. I heard a minister lamenting that the land distribution process has been flawed. People who made claims in 1998 have died waiting. Elders with knowledge are now gone. What a travesty, she says.

Wait, haven't you been in power since 1993.....

Whoops.

On the flip side, two corrupt judges are being removed, four arrested for killing a senior Hawks officer. A strong and free press. Maybe there is hope. There are many struggling to improve life here. The next few years will be very telling.
You are in Cape Town where the local government is much different ethnically than Pretoria and things are a little better and safer marginally.
Even load shedding over there is less compared to Johannesburg area where it's 6-10 hours every day and getting worse every passing year.
As far as elections, there's always hope but I doubt anything will change.

If you find yourself travelling before or after a hunt you could consider Knysna. This is a very beautiful small town with some real gems. There is a Gin tasting at Knysna Gin. This Gin is remarkably smooth, probably one of the smoothest I have tried.
20240224_160909.jpg

20240224_155618.jpg

20240224_155603.jpg

How does one say "Notzie Castles". Doesn't sound right when I say it
20240224_162507.jpg

Or, perhaps a trip to The Heads is in order. Just make sure you have a driver, because that smooth gin sneaks up on you!
20240224_152922.jpg
20240224_152906.jpg

If your spouse is done with being in the bush, treat them to Pezula. A beautiful resort up on the mountain.

If you find yourself travelling before or after a hunt you could consider Knysna. This is a very beautiful small town with some real gems. There is a Gin tasting at Knysna Gin. This Gin is remarkably smooth, probably one of the smoothest I have tried.
View attachment 589270
View attachment 589271
View attachment 589272

View attachment 589277

Or, perhaps a trip to The Heads is in order. Just make sure you have a driver, because that smooth gin sneaks up on you!
View attachment 589273View attachment 589275

If your spouse is done with being in the bush, treat them to Pezula. A beautiful resort up on the mountain.
Thanks for posting this. I love trying different Gin and RSA has a lot of good ones.

I am in Plettenberg Bay now. I like this place and it seems to be a great town. It has beautiful beaches. I went for a morning run and encountered several folks walking their dogs, and other runners.

20240226_064932.jpg

20240226_064928.jpg

I may not swim too much though!
20240225_120059.jpg

We had a great dinner last night at the Fat Fish. A cool restaurant built into a cliff. I can recommend it on your travels.

This mill in Plett has a great philosophy on life and liability. And, beautiful woven products to sell. It's a great find.

20240226_102332.jpg

20240226_102418.jpg

View attachment 589277
...The "NOE", think of the sound in Moose while replacing the M with a N, and you can replace the "se" in moose with "t", then yes the last part is as you think. "Noot-zie"

Our final place is The Fernnery. This is a beautiful lodge nestled in the Tsitsikamma forest. After you leave the highway, you drive about 6km on a dirt road to get to it.

The lodge is perched on a cliff overlooking the Indian Ocean. We are in a chalet overlooking a river gorge.

20240228_085611.jpg

20240228_083415.jpg

20240228_201429.jpg

For our last dinner in RSA we had a Braai. The braai was a simple design placed on the porch. The kitchen provided a three course meal, with only the meat to be put on the braai. A couple of bottles of fine South African wine and I had a wonderful evening with my wife.

20240228_185323.jpg

20240228_184228.jpg

We are waiting for our flight. I am sorry to go. My intention with this report was to show the incredible sights and places that are available to you. There are often threads asking if it is safe. South Africa has a very European feel to be honest. I believe that anyone can feel comfortable here, and you will have a great time.

Ethiopia.

I do not think I can type out a report that will do justice to what I just experience. If you fly Ethiopian Airline and have a long layover in Addis, I highly recommend getting a guide. I will try and give a flavour of what I am feeling with some short anecdotes.

It's the only country on the African continent that was not a colony. It traces is monarchy from King Solomon in an unbroken line up to 1974. But, their interaction with the Italians has left an indelible mark on their language and society. Their history will communism left a scar.

The heritage of the place is Jewish, orthodox Christian from Armenia and Muslim. Despite the diversity there is a tremendous amount of good will between the average person.

Very very friendly

Very poor

The wars juxtapose against the very day friendliness in a way I can't understand.

My guide was from outside of the city. I wanted to treat my wife to the restaurant created by Marcus Samuelsson (famous chef). It is on the 47th floor of a modern office tower in a city of short concrete buildings strapped with makeshift wooden scaffolding. I decided to treat my guide.

He had never been that high and it freaked him out. When we were served lunch he left the cutlery and ate with his right hand. He said he missed the injeera.

The waitress in this fancy exclusive restaurant treated him the utmost friendliness and respect.

Ethiopians will strike up a conversation with each other in any setting I witnessed.

The coffee culture is great!!!

Their history has not been taught to any high school student. We stop at the border with an entirely separate empire thriving along side. Because they have no colonial tradition there is not a lot taught about them. When I asked if they played cricket they laughed and said that was a British thing. They take great pride in their athletics.

The tour of the natural history museum will humble you. We are a mere flick of light in a vast time period.

I am not sure I will ever make it back. But, I will never leave either

The women seem to be fascinated with the 'stache
20240301_144737.jpg

Coffee on the street and in the first commercial coffee shop opened in 1954
20240301_123837.jpg

20240301_130429.jpg

20240301_130846.jpg

Some interesting history
20240301_121039.jpg

Lucy
20240301_115914.jpg

Fossils. I believe the warthogs in history were about 1000 lbs

20240301_114931.jpg
20240301_115045.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BradfordK9

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.