Headed back to South Africa for another great Safari 2023

I’ve also been told a good suppressor can be bought in SA for $300.
This is true. Completely non-regulated item here, available over the counter. Prices range from $200-450 depending on materials of construction, design etc.

I had the same question on the suppressor. We are going next year and I’d love to take my suppressor but I’ve heard it’s a pain. I’ve also been told a good suppressor can be bought in SA for $300.
It is easy to take your suppressor. When you get your Customs Form 4457 have them annotate the suppressor serial number on it and your good to go.

I had the same question on the suppressor. We are going next year and I’d love to take my suppressor but I’ve heard it’s a pain. I’ve also been told a good suppressor can be bought in SA for $300.
It is easy to take your suppressor. When you get your Customs Form 4457 have them annotate the suppressor serial number on it and your good to go.

How'd it go?? I hope to hunt with Jonathan next year.

Was there an extra step for bringing the suppressor? From what I can tell, it's just a form 1140-0010

I'm looking further but best I can figure out is do the 1140-0010 (5320.20?) form for interstate transport. Once you put the location of the outfitter, send to ATF and they send to state department to fill in the license number and then sent back to you, maybe sent to ATF first. I have a guy that works for a major distributor here and I plan to confirm with him next time I see him.

I'm looking further but best I can figure out is do the 1140-0010 (5320.20?) form for interstate transport. Once you put the location of the outfitter, send to ATF and they send to state department to fill in the license number and then sent back to you, maybe sent to ATF first. I have a guy that works for a major distributor here and I plan to confirm with him next time I see him.

Eager to read a good report and see some pictures. Have been watching beast and bird for awhile as they are in my list of a big game / bird safari and they are one of the considerations. Will be grateful for all the details you can offer

Email from ATF said all I had to do what put it on my 4457. The ATF doesn't track suppressors like they do SBRs. Myself and multiple others just came back from Africa and we all had suppressors. No issues whatsoever. I had my tax stamp and had it annotated on the 4457.

There will be say this isn't the right way and it may not be, but it has worked for 1000s of people with zero issues and according to the ATF is all that is needed.

Email from ATF said all I had to do what put it on my 4457. The ATF doesn't track suppressors like they do SBRs. Myself and multiple others just came back from Africa and we all had suppressors. No issues whatsoever. I had my tax stamp and had it annotated on the 4457.

There will be say this isn't the right way and it may not be, but it has worked for 1000s of people with zero issues and according to the ATF is all that is needed.
That's the correct process, I just did it.

Curious as to what it costs to hire someone to film a hunt?
We are heading back over in August for Cape Buffalo and Crocodile and if reasonable I would like to look into having it filmed.

Curious as to what it costs to hire someone to film a hunt?
We are heading back over in August for Cape Buffalo and Crocodile and if reasonable I would like to look into having it filmed.
It was $250 a day

Update to our trip back to South Africa. We hunted with Jonathan Morris with Beast and Bird Africa who we had meet on a previous trip. We had asked some friends to come along and we had 6 hunters and 3 none hunters in our group. We completed everything on our list as well as the other hunters in the group. One hunter even added 3 more animals while in country and Jonathan was able to accommodate his wished. We took a total of 28 animals and all were great trophies. The largest Kudu in the group was 58 inches and all the trophies were very respectable animals. We had no issues with traveling with our rifles and the suppressor as it was all listed on the 4557 form from Homeland Security. Jonathan truly worked his butt off and brought in another PH to assist. We all enjoyed the lodge, staff, accommodations and the abundance of game. Jonathan is truly a professional and will go above and beyond to make sure you have a very successful hunt and time.

All Trophies.jpg
Hunter Blesbok.jpg
Hunter Impala.jpg
Hunter Zebra.jpg
Impala.jpg
Kathy Black Impala.jpg
Kathy Golden Wildebeest.jpg
Kathy Springbok.jpg
Sable.jpg
White Blesbok.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice trophies and I love the presentation for the group photo.

HH

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a great trip. Did y'all have any other activities while there? I'm hoping to bring a few non-hunters with us over there and open to suggestions.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a great trip. Did y'all have any other activities while there? I'm hoping to bring a few non-hunters with us over there and open to suggestions.
We had 3 non-hunters and they were able to visit the elephant sanctuary, monkey sanctuary, hot air balloon ride and zip line was available as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you