Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Australian Deer Association,
Hunted
RSA, New Zealand.
http://ahuntersreflection.blogspot.com.au

Thoughts, Reflections, Recollections and Hunting Tales.

Reloading my 45-70 withTrail Boss powder

I was looking for a way to practice my field shooting with my 45-70 cheaply and decided to give some Trail Boss powder a go, I have used it quite successfully before in my .222 so I had a good idea of how it performed. First off was to determine a safe starting load which was listed in the ADI loading Manual in the single action section. If you have a cartridge that is not listed in the manual simply email ADI and they will send you the information you need. Trail Boss is a bulk density powder and is shaped like small doughnuts it takes up a lot of case space at a small charge weight, which is perfect for reduced loads.

ADI Trail Boss Powder.

The shape of the powder flakes aids in taking up case volume.

I also had a couple of hundred 350 grain cast projectiles from the Hawksbury River Bullet Company so these would be perfect for practice loads. First off I weighed each projectile and sorted them into 3 different weights, cast projectiles can vary a bit in weight and you need to know what you are loading. Another thing I have found is dont try and push a cast projectile too fast without using gas checks, they dont like it!!. I do not use gas checks so keep my cast projectile velocities to around 1200fps to try and maintain accuracy and minimize lead fouling.

Projectiles sorted into 3 different weight groups.
I was also fortunate enough to come across a guy selling bulk brass at a very reasonable price on a web forum and purchased 100 Starline cases from him. Very little was needed in the way of case preparation with only a couple of cases needing deburing. With the cost of 45-70GOVT brass these days the light loads I will be producing should ensure a very long case life. In fact I still have some brass that is over 20 years old and still usable so this batch of cases should last equally as long.

New Starline Brass Cases.

So with all the ingredients in place I set about loading a batch of light practice loads, now by light I mean in the muzzle blast and recoil sense. My normal hunting load is a 405 grain Woodleigh soft point projectile pushed along at 1900fps and anyone that has fired a 405grn projectile at the top end of a 45-70's velocity range will tell you, it comes back with a fair bit of authority. As one of my friends puts it the recoil is Manly!!! and when shot in a Marlin lever action I put it pretty close to that of a well balanced .458 Winchester. So a session at the range with a box of full power loads can become quite an unpleasant experience and not what is needed when wanting to practice a lot of quick offhand shooting at short range. I am not particularly recoil sensitive but I see no reason to punish yourself at the range, in the field hunting I very rarely notice any recoil at all and do not fire that many shots that it even becomes a factor.

The finished product, a nicely crimped 45-70 round ready to be tested.

Now that I had a batch of Ammunition loaded it was off to the range to see how they performed. First off I fired a couple over the bench to test the accuracy at 50 meters, it was not the most accurate load producing a group measuring 3 inches by 3 inches and landing 1 inch below center but it was acceptable for what I wanted. The pleasant surprise was the almost total lack of recoil, this was going to make longer range sessions a lot of fun. I practice a lot shooting off sticks and this load was great to shoot off sticks and over the bench, offhand it had hardly any felt recoil at all.

My standard 405 grain hunting load on the left and the 350 grain practice load on the right for comparison.
One of my favorite things to practice is shooting Clay Pigeons placed in the ground at 50 meters, I usually place them in groups of 4. I take a purposeful aimed shot at the first one then 3 quick follow up shots at the remainder. I find this is great practice for the actual field conditions encountered when hunting Sambar Deer in Victoria or Pigs in the Western NSW Lignum swamps.

My Rifle set up.
My rifle is a Marlin model 1895 in 45-70govt, I have replaced the factory plastic but cap with a quality Pachmayr recoil pad. I have fitted a picatinny rail and scope mounts and have mounted a 2-7X33 VX-1 Leupold scope on it. Set on 2 power this scope has a massive field of view and is incredible for fast running shots, set at 7 power it is better suited to a single aimed shot out to 150 meters though I have used it out to 200 with about 10 inches of hold over.
My hunting load consists of a 405 grain Woodleigh projectile over a charge of Benchmark 1 for a velocity of around 1900fps.
It is sighted to shoot my hunting load 3 inches high at 100 meters for a 130 meter zero and a 4 inch drop at 160 meters.

My Marlin Model 1895.

The picatinny rail I have fitted is a cut out type that allows the use of the factory iron sights once the scope has been removed, I set it up this way to allow me to remove the scope should it become damaged in the field, while allowing me to continue hunting confident that I can still use the Iron sights. As you can see in the photograph below the cut out allows a perfect view of the iron sights once the scope is removed, I carry a Torx head wrench in my wallet along with my hunting licences for this purpose when in the bush.

Close up of the cut out on the Picitinny rail allowing use of open sights after removing the scope.

In have had this set up for the past 26 years and it has served me well, accounting for many big Boar pigs a few goats and a couple of Sambar Deer. The only thing that ever let me down was a poor quality scope that lost its seal in the rain and fogged up in the middle of a Sambar hunt, fortunately I was able to remove the scope and continue hunting. So that's about it for my 45-70 Trail Boss experiment and needless to say I will be practicing a lot more often for longer sessions now, and if you see me at the range come and have a chat I would be more than happy to let you try it for yourself.

Attachments

• DSC_0854.JPG
    DSC_0854.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC_0849.JPG
    DSC_0849.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 399
  • DSC_0852.JPG
    DSC_0852.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC_0847.JPG
    DSC_0847.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC_0850.JPG
    DSC_0850.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC_0845.JPG
    DSC_0845.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC_0848.JPG
    DSC_0848.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC_0846.JPG
    DSC_0846.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 247
Last edited by a moderator:
Have the Marlin 45-70 myself and I find it to be a wonderful rifle. I intend to take it back to africa someday and see what I can take with it. I must testify that the 325 grain loads I use will cut a deer apart!

CAustin I have had much the same experience with 350 grain hollow points, when I switched to the Woodleighs I found they drilled straight through the Pigs and Goats making far less mess and leaving me with an edible animal.
Which countries allow a lever action or is it just SA that prohibits them?
I think you could pretty much take any animal you wanted in Africa if you were careful and picked your shots, with the exception of Elephant of course, I would certainly like to take mine to Africa. I will be trying out some of the Woodleigh hydrostatically stabilized solids some time in the near future so will be certain to post the results.

image.jpg

Even though it's a lever action I took it to South Africa in 2013. Never needed it as the brush gun because everything gave my son and I open shots with the. Ruger 1.
image.jpg
Our PH. Hennie du Toit had just come up the stairs to my right and said let's go hunt. My wife was snapping the shot with her camera. Haven't tried to take it back since then.
Maybe one of our PH members can tell us about taking this classic lever action into Africa now.

i just love those Marlin Lever Actions! i have one in .44 Rem Mag and am currently shooting 300gr Hornady XTP's through it

For the 45-70, 13 gr of Unique under 405 gr cast bullit from a Lyman mold ( 457193)
For the 44 mag, 10 gr of W231 for a 310 gr cast
It is the ticket for fun !!!!

Don't have a new Marlin or new .45-70 Government chambered rifle. I inherited an original 1886 Winchester from my grandfather and just began to load for it a little over a year ago. I cast my own and make my own PB gas checks out of beer or soda cans I find along the road (recycling and repurposing as I like to call it).

The mold drawing:
46-400M-D1_zpslvezmfiu.png

The mold, bullets, cases, and completed cartridges:
Winchester%201886%20084_zpsquzo493c.jpg

The rifle and cartridges:
Winchester%201886%20089_zpszbszfye6.jpg

Finalised load target with data:
Winchester%201886%2050%20yd%20Target%20III%20001_zpsxa8wwngu.jpg

I usually test all my open sights at 50 yds and then once testing is completed, shoot out to 100 yds and 200 yds (if possible depending on shooting range or area) to see if it will be just as accurate and it is. At some point in the near future I would like to go after a Bison with this.

Attachments

• 46-400M-D1_zpslvezmfiu.png
    46-400M-D1_zpslvezmfiu.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Winchester 1886 50 yd Target III 001_zpsxa8wwngu.jpg
    Winchester 1886 50 yd Target III 001_zpsxa8wwngu.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 609
  • Winchester 1886 084_zpsquzo493c.jpg
    Winchester 1886 084_zpsquzo493c.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 196
  • Winchester 1886 089_zpszbszfye6.jpg
    Winchester 1886 089_zpszbszfye6.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 209

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross