Have you ever bid on a rifle and then wonder “Why did I do that?”

Tell me it wasn’t the FN Mauser in .358 Norma Magnum. The rifle that would be a perfect companion to my Remington Model 30 Express in .358 Norma Magnum. I liked that rifle, but hesitated too long.

No it was not. I got the Heym 88 double in .375H&H with spare barrel set in 7x65r

I put a post up with some pictures and description: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/look-what-ah-made-me-buy.65185/

Cheers and good luck with your search for an FN Mauser!

V.

When I email my FFL guy I use a line from Britney Spears, "oops, I did it again". That way he knows I have another gun coming, LOL.

Things you don’t need reminds me of my high school friend who went off to college but mid-semester arrived to get a much needed shot of penicillin. His father was a doctor who fixed him up after cooling off and a stern lecture. My friend came home several weeks later with the same issue. I just thought his dad was made the first time! His dad asked why. He said it was just too good to pass up. Kind of like overbidding on a gun but with different consequences!

Things you don’t need reminds me of my high school friend who went off to college but mid-semester arrived to get a much needed shot of penicillin. His father was a doctor who fixed him up after cooling off and a stern lecture. My friend came home several weeks later with the same issue. I just thought his dad was made the first time! His dad asked why. He said it was just too good to pass up. Kind of like overbidding on a gun but with different consequences!

Sometimes it kinda is worth a penicillin shot.

Tell me it wasn’t the FN Mauser in .358 Norma Magnum. The rifle that would be a perfect companion to my Remington Model 30 Express in .358 Norma Magnum. I liked that rifle, but hesitated too long.
@Lee in Texas
20210220_125903.jpg
My M17 in 35 Whelen AI styled and lightened to model 30S specs.

Well, I have only ever bid on auction on one rifle in my life, with success as you know.
But I must admit it was a bit strange to contemplate the expenditure of such a sum without physically inspecting myself the rifle and having been brought to consider this beauty by AH forum member @rookhawk, who I had never met in real life!
I did my due diligence of course, looking at current prices and estimates for recreating such a rifle new, as well as the budget I could make available. And for the inspection part I used an intermediate to inspect in my stead.

No regrets so far though, as it was a well contemplated decision from my side. I allowed my rational side, without too much looking at the emotional final price tag, which I use daily in my work to make the decision for me. It worked out :)
I remember reading that post. Nice rifle!

I've done it myself. Several times! One really dumb-dumb move was buying a brand new CZ Safari Magnum 375 H&H. Not dumb because I don't want it.....dumb because I live in Canada, the rifle is in the states, and I hadn't looked into what all was involved in getting it to me before I started bidding! I blame all the 'enablers' on AH! Got me convinced that I need a .375! LOL
Anyways, it sits in the states, and my bank account sits empty!

I've done it myself. Several times! One really dumb-dumb move was buying a brand new CZ Safari Magnum 375 H&H. Not dumb because I don't want it.....dumb because I live in Canada, the rifle is in the states, and I hadn't looked into what all was involved in getting it to me before I started bidding! I blame all the 'enablers' on AH! Got me convinced that I need a .375! LOL
Anyways, it sits in the states, and my bank account sits empty!
And now you will learn the virtues of patience AND being economical.

But still, you did need a 373H&H and to get it in a (now discontinued) CZ550 Safari...worth it to be gun poor for a while. Good luck.

And now you will learn the virtues of patience AND being economical.

But still, you did need a 373H&H and to get it in a (now discontinued) CZ550 Safari...worth it to be gun poor for a while. Good luck.
Yes, but it's a huge pain in the a$$ to try to get it out of the US and into Canada!

I was outbid on the Mauser. I think I’m a tiny bit more disappointed that relieved. It sure is pretty. Very good condition. It sold for $230 more than my high bid, but who knows what the winners high bid was.

DE691A81-7A17-4F3F-B00A-D2D5834469B3.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross