Have any of you seen this before?

Not exactly the quality of image but in this and many other tasks, this is sufficient and a lot cheaper than a Hawkeye. Portable, it can also be run off a smartphone charging battery.
I use it to monitor my cleaning regimen and throat erosion.

I sure agree on taking the rifle to a competent gunsmith, but I would not with just looking at the chamber. There may be something else causing the accuracy problem, muzzle crown, cracked stock and since there is something suspicious in the chamber I would check headspace. Once you have eliminated these checks, then move on to scope and mounts, but I am sure you have already thought of these items.

I once had a M-70 Safari .375H&H, it was noted for its deadly accuracy. I used it as a client rifle. One day it totally lost its accuracy after a really close exam I found that at sometime a wasp had started to build a nest at the muzzle and a tiny pit had developed right at the crown recutting the crown brought it back to its original accuracy!

There has been a change in plans. I called Winchester and talked to either a Tech Rep that I asked for, or a Customer Service Rep. As a result the rifle is boxed up and will be going to their Service Facility in Arnold MO. My only concern is that if it comes back fixed, I'll probably never know what was wrong with it. Tarbe, may have hit the nail on the head when he asked about a profile of the case neck. That got me to thinking and I got out my micrometer. Much to my chagrin, I discovered that the first 1/8th inch down from the mouth measured .395" . That is .010" less than it should be. From there back it measured .405" like it should. The "band" that I thought was a depression is an optical illusion. I have the feeling that a chamber is cut and then finished in separate machining operations. In the case of my rifle the finishing pass could have been a little short. that could leave a chamber that would produce fired brass like what I experienced. I'll close the loop on this issue after I get the rifle back from Winchester and take it to the range.

Finger crossed! I sent a new Ruger rifle back for service last fall for an unfinished chamber, it appeared like either the reamer was worn out or it got short stroked cause there was no freebore in it at all. When I first tried to chamber a round the bolt was very hard to close and needed some assistance from a dead blow hammer to open it and after looking at the bullet you could see rifling marks on the bullet right up to the mouth of the case. They determined that it was best just to send me a new rifle and wanted to know if that was ok with me, well duh! The new one shoots great with no issues.

There has been a change in plans. I called Winchester and talked to either a Tech Rep that I asked for, or a Customer Service Rep. As a result the rifle is boxed up and will be going to their Service Facility in Arnold MO. My only concern is that if it comes back fixed, I'll probably never know what was wrong with it. Tarbe, may have hit the nail on the head when he asked about a profile of the case neck. That got me to thinking and I got out my micrometer. Much to my chagrin, I discovered that the first 1/8th inch down from the mouth measured .395" . That is .010" less than it should be. From there back it measured .405" like it should. The "band" that I thought was a depression is an optical illusion. I have the feeling that a chamber is cut and then finished in separate machining operations. In the case of my rifle the finishing pass could have been a little short. that could leave a chamber that would produce fired brass like what I experienced. I'll close the loop on this issue after I get the rifle back from Winchester and take it to the range.
Just a WAG but may be a carbon ring. Will be enlightening as to the determination.

Carbon ring...LOL. More wishful thinking. Chamber neck was improperly cut somehow. It happens. Right move sending it back, but do ask them what it was.

The irritating thing here is that someone else bought that rifle and realized it shot poorly so they sent it to the trash--gunbroker. And now you get stuck with the problem and they hide behind anonymity. You are a good man for actually solving the problem where someone else had perpetuated it.

The irritating thing here is that someone else bought that rifle and realized it shot poorly so they sent it to the trash--gunbroker. And now you get stuck with the problem and they hide behind anonymity. You are a good man for actually solving the problem where someone else had perpetuated it.
I am guilty of this also, sold a couple weatherby’s on gunbroker. Turns out there were people happy to own one! Lol. There was actually nothing wrong with the guns, besides...
I have bought a few guns off GB that were severely underpriced, so I knew there was an “issue” lurking somewhere. Most of the time it was someone that just didn’t know much about guns and decided to cut their loss. Easy fixes are Our gain on some of these deals.

caveat emptor...

Hallelujah, I just received a call from Winchester. The gunsmith that looked at it said there is a problem with the chamber. It wasn't manufactured correctly. They are sending me back a brand new rifle. That kind of service is hard to beat. They asked what I hunted with a 375 H&H, my reply was African game animals. I'm ecstatic.

Hallelujah, I just received a call from Winchester. The gunsmith that looked at it said there is a problem with the chamber. It wasn't manufactured correctly. They are sending me back a brand new rifle. That kind of service is hard to beat. They asked what I hunted with a 375 H&H, my reply was African game animals. I'm ecstatic.
Do you mean its not a carbon ring or a piece of brass stuck in the neck area?? :eek::eek::rolleyes:o_Oo_Oo_O:whistle::whistle::whistle:LOL!!!! Told you that was all wishful thinking.:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D Good that Win is taking care of it though, that's really good CS!

Ahh, good ol' wishful thinkin'. :whistle::oops: Anyway, great to hear you got a brand new rifle for the price of a used one. Hallelujah on that!:D

Looks like the guy who sold it to you lost out for the price of a phone call. Sheesh.

Last edited:
I may have to sell some rifles and replace them with Winchesters! Excellent news!
And obviously you made a very wise decision to talk to the manufacturer! Good move Art!
Of course you are going to share with us how your brand new Winny shoots?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg