Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
I received the knife Von Gruff and I designed. didn't want a long bladed knife but something that was "solid" in the blade and yet not too short or long.
After a fair few emails back and forth we came up with what I wanted. Actually, I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted but I wanted something a different to the ones I had Von Gruff make.

The blade is 1095 steel; the bolster is brass; the wood is Zebrawood; and the model is Harpoon Fighter.

The knife feels absolutely great and balanced. The workmanship is excellent (as expected I might add).

For my son, Craig, I will have another knife made (same specifications) with a hickory handle, for a Christmas present. VG has come up with some suggestions too for the wood.
I haven't decided on the wood yet. How about some suggestions???

IMG_3046.jpg Harpoon Fighter Photo 1.jpg
IMG_3047.jpg Harpoon Fighter 2nd Photo.jpg
IMG_3048.jpg Harpoon Fighter 3rd Photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I received the knife Von Gruff and I designed. didn't want a long bladed knife but something that was "solid" in the blade and yet not too short or long.
After a fair few emails back and forth we came up with what I wanted. Actually, I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted but I wanted something a different to the ones I had Von Gruff make.

The blade is 1095 steel; the bolster is brass; the wood is Zebrawood; and the model is Harpoon Fighter.

The knife feels absolutely great and balanced. The workmanship is excellent (as expected I might add).

For my son, Craig, I will have another knife made (same specifications) with a hickory handle, for a Christmas present. VG has come up with some suggestions too for the wood.

View attachment 401642View attachment 401643View attachment 401644
I really like that. Well done!

There were a few firsts in this one that I enjoyed a great deal working through.
Was the first harpoon blade with a new and more accurate way of doing the fullers which is often the result of some of these chalenges where a different technique or tool makes the difference in the finished product.
Have done lots of flat and rounded front edges to the bolsters but this was the first internal angle to the bolster but it added to the visual , not only for its difference but mainly to enhance the overall "fast" look to the design.
When Ray mentioned the zebrawood I was initially a bit hesitant with my thinking that it may have been a bit plain but Rays intuition was spot on and it really adds to the visual of the finished knife.
A most satisfying build and another of the many I am gratefull to have been trusted with the comission to bring to the table. One of the hard ones to finally put in the shipping package and send off. Thanks Ray for the privelege.
IMG_0610.JPG

There were a few firsts in this one that I enjoyed a great deal working through.
Was the first harpoon blade with a new and more accurate way of doing the fullers which is often the result of some of these chalenges where a different technique or tool makes the difference in the finished product.
Have done lots of flat and rounded front edges to the bolsters but this was the first internal angle to the bolster but it added to the visual , not only for its difference but mainly to enhance the overall "fast" look to the design.
When Ray mentioned the zebrawood I was initially a bit hesitant with my thinking that it may have been a bit plain but Rays intuition was spot on and it really adds to the visual of the finished knife.
A most satisfying build and another of the many I am gratefull to have been trusted with the comission to bring to the table. One of the hard ones to finally put in the shipping package and send off. Thanks Ray for the privelege.
View attachment 401645

And as discussed a black border with probably hickory for my son’s Christmas present

Most impressive
Thank you

I like it.

If I may ask @Dr Ray , what is the intended use for this knife?

@Von Gruff Since I was the fuller rookie do I get a 10% discount if I order a clone?:A Outta:

View attachment 401642View attachment 401643View attachment 401644
"For my son, Craig, I will have another knife made (same specifications) with a hickory handle, for a Christmas present. VG has come up with some suggestions too for the wood.
I haven't decided on the wood yet. How about some suggestions???"

I'll bet a Spalted Buckeye handle would look pretty nice with that blade. :unsure:

I like it.

If I may ask @Dr Ray , what is the intended use for this knife?

@Von Gruff Since I was the fuller rookie do I get a 10% discount if I order a clone?:A Outta:

Yes (usually I just have for display)

Cutting buff and scrub bulls etc

"For my son, Craig, I will have another knife made (same specifications) with a hickory handle, for a Christmas present. VG has come up with some suggestions too for the wood.
I haven't decided on the wood yet. How about some suggestions???"

I'll bet a Spalted Buckeye handle would look pretty nice with that blade. :unsure:
My thought is that might be a bit busy for the design and take away rather than add.

garry's knives have always taken my attention for their simple minimalist good taste and functionality.
this knife if looked at closely would be quite complex to manufacture, yet has been cleverly made to look simple and tasteful.
while it is not a knife i need, it is truly a demonstration of all aspects done well into a package.
pimps make simple things look complex.
artists make complex things look simple.
garry is an artist.
bruce.

View attachment 401645

I really like that. Could you share the dimensions?

The bolster work on this one is marvelous... well done @Von Gruff !

All of the varying angles, the blade geometry, and even the grain of the wood all flow really nicely...

Aesthetically this might be my favorite knife you’ve shown us... very nice!

The bolster work on this one is marvelous... well done @Von Gruff !

All of the varying angles, the blade geometry, and even the grain of the wood all flow really nicely...

Aesthetically this might be my favorite knife you’ve shown us... very nice!

Yes and I’m glad I asked for zebra wood

I really like that. Could you share the dimensions?
just shy of 11 inches over all
4 5/8 point to end of harpoon
5 1/4 point to choil
just shy of 1 1/2 wide at harpoon
2 1/2 in fullers
from .156 1095 HC with light hamon
FC etch and coffee soak.

garry's knives have always taken my attention for their simple minimalist good taste and functionality.
this knife if looked at closely would be quite complex to manufacture, yet has been cleverly made to look simple and tasteful.
while it is not a knife i need, it is truly a demonstration of all aspects done well into a package.
pimps make simple things look complex.
artists make complex things look simple.
garry is an artist.
bruce.

When something that is complex is made simple it shows the professionalism

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg