Hard cast Gas check bullets in the 500 Jeffrey

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have never really messed with loading cast lead bullets, however i saw these on midway and I was curious. With the gas check is there no need to worry about running them too fast? Although my plan would be to run them over a soft load.of varget or something like that just for plinking and whitetail hunting. Can these be used in the Jeffrey?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 8.56.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 8.56.21 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 8.56.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 8.56.22 AM.png
    666.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 8.56.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 8.56.25 AM.png
    712 KB · Views: 38
These are the bullets that I use in my 500bpe. I run the velocity up to 1950fps.
Check your groove size and order accordingly!

With that big ol' flat point, there may be feeding issues in some actions but, it will be a killer diller on soft skin game.

I have never really messed with loading cast lead bullets, however i saw these on midway and I was curious. With the gas check is there no need to worry about running them too fast? Although my plan would be to run them over a soft load.of varget or something like that just for plinking and whitetail hunting. Can these be used in the Jeffrey?
The gas check is there to prevent obturation, for the purpose of being able to push the bullets faster than you otherwise could if there were no gas check.

I am a big fan of hard cast bullets--I shoot a lot of Nitro for Black loads, and those bullets come with the unqualified endorsement of no less than one Ross Seyfried, who often prefers them on game to jacketed bullets traveling the same velocity.

I don't see a single drawback in using them, provided you load your cases correctly. I don't believe I have load data for the .500 Jeffery with cast bullets, but it shouldn't be hard to find. Biggest question would be about fillers, since I imagine you should use a relatively light charge of faster powder.

One thing I meant to mention.

I don't know for certain on 500 Jeff, but I would assume it's the same procedure I use to reload even GC lead bullets for my 45-70. You *really* need to use an expander die, otherwise you'll end up trimming off a bit of lead as you seat the bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeraMadira

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.