Hanging a zebra rug suggestions...

Daveboone

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
For lack of a floor area large enough (and puppy not perfectly housetrained), we are planning on hanging our zebra rug on the wall. It is backed with a single layer of felt. What suggestions do you have as to how best to do so? It will be going on a painted sheet rock wall.
The rug itself is surprisingly light. Should I put in grommets in it, or would tacks ( I am thinking upholserty type) work? Open to suggestions. Thanks!

Also, I suggest hanging it at an angle, not square like a framed piece of art.

20200508_173525.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can easily sew on D rings to use as hangers if you are so inclined but small finishing nails in the exact spot you want are also very effective

I have hung a lot of steer hides on the wall. I agree with the above comments about hanging at an angle instead of "square". I use small nails and it allows you to start at a point and keep everything tight and smooth as you go around. Makes a lot of holes in the wall but they are small and easily covered if you ever move it.

Here is mine. 2 sheets of 3/8” plywood spliced together, cut to shape with a jigsaw. All edges spraypainted black, then upholstery tacks to fasten the skin. Heavy picture hanging wire attached in 2 places. I only need 1 hole in the wall for a fastener, and can change the angle it hangs at anytime. Was also very nice on the occasion of my recent move to a new house.
Im not sure why it rotated the pic showing the plywood upside down, but you can still see the concept.

50F5457D-F128-4CB9-AC00-A789FD6A0B01.jpeg
84397B53-52CD-4A44-BD32-889A5AB848BE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is mine. 2 sheets of 3/8” plywood spliced together, cut to shape with a jigsaw. All edges spraypainted black, then upholstery tacks to fasten the skin. Heavy picture hanging wire attached in 2 places. I only need 1 hole in the wall for a fastener, and can change the angle it hangs at anytime. Was also very nice on the occasion of my recent move to a new house.
Im not sure why it rotated the pic showing the plywood upside down, but you can still see the concept.
Interesting. How did you splice the plywood?

That's pretty cool, I might try to do something similar. Thanks for sharing!

I believe if you zoom in on the plywood pic, you can see the rows of screws from the top edge going down. I put a few pieces of 1x4, cut down to 2” wide behind it and screwed them from the front. They also made a nice anchor for the picture hanger wire.

I used small nails with big heads.

IMG_4805.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarshaBott

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.