Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
If you are ever lost while hiking, get stranded with a broken down car, etc and you notice your cell phone is either low on juice or has no signal, here is a tip that very well may save your life.
Change the voicemail on your phone to a message that gives your approximate location, the time, the date, your situation (lost, out of gas, car broken down, injured, etc) and any special instructions such as you are staying with the car, you are walking toward a town, etc…. The best part of this is that even if your cell phone dies or stops working, voicemail still works, so anyone calling your phone looking for you will hear the message and know where to find you or where to send help.

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I always bank on the fact that either the IRS will find me or the guy selling extended warranty on the truck I haven’t owned for 10 years will find me, one of the two seems to know where you are at all times

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
@Tbitty It just shows what lack of knowledge can do when seeing something that seemed to be helpfull. I have very limited tech savy and only posted it as supposedly helpfull advise for the members and if I could delete it I would.

Tbitty

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA
@Tbitty It just shows what lack of knowledge can do when seeing something that seemed to be helpfull. I have very limited tech savy and only posted it as supposedly helpfull advise for the members and if I could delete it I would.
@Von Gruff
Your post was very good idea and definitively well meaning. I just wanted to add additional information to expand the knowledge level of all readers. Absolutely no reason to delete your post, it is a great start to the thread!

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
One of the reasons I have a Garmin InReach Explorer+. The two way SOS feature is available even when the Satellite communications is disabled.

BigSteve57

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
Hunted
USA(GA,MD,MT,PA,TN), Namibia
One of the reasons I have a Garmin InReach Explorer+. The two way SOS feature is available even when the Satellite communications is disabled.
I have an InReach also. I go out prepared all the time. Frankly over-prepared.
If you are ever lost while hiking, get stranded with a broken down car, etc and you notice your cell phone is either low on juice or has no signal, here is a tip that very well may save your life.
Change the voicemail on your phone to a message that gives your approximate location, the time, the date, your situation (lost, out of gas, car broken down, injured, etc) and any special instructions such as you are staying with the car, you are walking toward a town, etc…. The best part of this is that even if your cell phone dies or stops working, voicemail still works, so anyone calling your phone looking for you will hear the message and know where to find you or where to send help.
I don't get it. How does my voicemail get updated with my position without cell/network connectivity?

BigSteve57

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
Hunted
USA(GA,MD,MT,PA,TN), Namibia
We have an InReach. Perhaps we should have two. We go out prepared, in fact over-prepared, ALL THE TIME.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

Latest profile posts

when is my donation due?
trstallone wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
I've Hunted So.Africa, love to try Romania
Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!