Hand Priming Tools

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
What do you use for a hand/manual priming tool?

I have both a Lyman EZ Prime and a Frankford Asrenal priming tool kit. Both of these are an absolute PITA to use, nd makes priming the slowest, most painful step in reloading. I get cocked primers that will not seat, double primers in the plunger channel. The Lyman tray will not let primers slide in the tool... I am at whit's end.

I do have the priming arm for my RCBS RC Supreme. but I never really liked loading the priming arm - too much primer handling.

Can anyone suggest a fully functional and relatively rapid manual priming tool???

B19F2790-FB90-4559-BD2B-7706A2C35E0C.png

This is the one I use...seems to work well. I hand prime all of my reloads with it and never use the press

I too use the Lee auto prime handheld piece and have been using it for over 30 years. I am actually on my second one since a friend liked my first one so well that I gave it to him.

When I am priming brass I'll sit down in front of the TV and start priming moving brass from one box that holds the unprimed brass to the second box that holds the primed brass. I'll then go through the primed brass and check it with my fingers for any that are not seated properly and then run them back through the tool if the primer is sitting too high.

I got rid of those auto priming tubes on my presses a very long time ago. I had no real problems with them but I like the feel that the hand tool gives me as the primer seats and I usually don't have to worry about crushed primers that you get with the tubes using the lever on the press.

I have the Lee and the RCBS. I prefer the Lee. I did not know it was discontinued!

The old Lee Auto prime, someone posted a pic above seems to work really well if you can find one. I had some kind of an RCBS that was a joke. I think I threw it in the trash. I have one of the Lee Auto Primes which I've had forever but lost the shell holders for it. I've orded some online that I think will fit. You can loose a lot of stuff when you move.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 1.16.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 1.16.19 PM.png
    804.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 1.16.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 1.16.22 PM.png
    603.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 1.16.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 1.16.24 PM.png
    460.7 KB · Views: 99
Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

I just called Franfort Arsenal and told them about my problem. They said that sometimes the primer sleeve is not to spec. They are mailing me a new one. Maybe it will work, but my experience so far with this tool and the Lyman is not good. Sometimes it works and I like the 'feel' it provides when priming cases. I'll see it the new primer sleeve fixes the problem.

A cautionary note. Primers are HIGHLY explosive. Many years ago a local pistol smith was reloading with progressive tool that used primer tubes. A primer became jammed and the tube full of primers exploded turning the primer tube into shrapnel. His glasses saved his sight but he was badly injured and his face disfigured for life. For that reason I personally no longer use primer tubes.

A cautionary note. Primers are HIGHLY explosive. Many years ago a local pistol smith was reloading with progressive tool that used primer tubes. A primer became jammed and the tube full of primers exploded turning the primer tube into shrapnel. His glasses saved his sight but he was badly injured and his face disfigured for life. For that reason I personally no longer use primer tubes.
This is why I do not use primer tubes on my loaders. When loading shotgun cartridges I use primer trays.

I will not ever, ever use a progressive press again. I had a whole tray of primers explode on me years back. I still have a small chip in one of my teeth. I was dang lucky. I will stick with my Lee, I can see the direciton of the primmer. With a drop down tube, you can't tell.

Looks like it's still in production?
Read the cautionary note about Federal Large primers and possibility of detonation of the entire tray.

I have two of these, I like being able to feel how well you can seat your primers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 3.31.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 3.31.07 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 3.31.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 3.31.08 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 3.31.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 3.31.10 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
Since I'm not a rattle battle shooter, I've no need for speed nor volume. I use a simple, one-at-a-time hand tool. Found it in the bargain bin junk box in a friend's gun store 25 years ago for $10. Uses the Lee type shellholder. I wash my hands before handling primers to prevent introducing oil or contamination- never a problem. It is not marked but I believe it is an early prototype of the current Sinclair hand priming tool. Built like a tank and offers great feel as the primer is seated and bottoms out.

Sinclair priming tool.JPG

Since I'm not a rattle battle shooter, I've no need for speed nor volume. I use a simple, one-at-a-time hand tool. Found it in the bargain bin junk box in a friend's gun store 25 years ago for $10. Uses the Lee type shellholder. I wash my hands before handling primers to prevent introducing oil or contamination- never a problem. It is not marked but I believe it is an early prototype of the current Sinclair hand priming tool. Built like a tank and offers great feel as the primer is seated and bottoms out.

View attachment 386414

That is a very nice tool. Simple, well finished, and looks like it does the job.

I use a Lee auto prime handheld. They are discontinued, but they are available used, at shows, arms list etc.

View attachment 386405
I like the Lee type. I used to doo a lot of .223 for a friend who is a roo shooter.
Keep an eye out for old ones and collect the spare parts.

There is a new version and 2 kits available.
One a Kit with various common shell holders is best value.
The other, just the tool in a similar box.

There is also a tray type of shell holders available reasonably priced as these are not the press shell holder.

I like to have at least 2 because the small primer and large primer ram are changed out to accommodate.

Having 2 means I can load 100 at a time then leave the primer tray empty. Then I can change the shell holder simply for a different case . If I use 100 at a time it saves half boxes of primers and maybe projectiles. Also there is no confusing rifle/pistol primers or brands for certain loads of it matters.

Many like Lee products and these are one I actually have and recommend.

I also like my lee auto prime hand tool, I am bummed to hear that they are discontinued,

I use the RCBS universal hand primer - no issues but I haven't used anything else to compare to. I like that you don't have to swap out a shell holder for different cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!