H&R Huntsman .58

Ole Bob is leaving us the front stuffers...opting for the rear stuffers...after trusting a bloke that didn't tell him the whole story up front. :E Lol:

Yo ho! Yo ho! A pirate's life for heeee!:ROFLMAO::A Stirring::E Lol::A Outta:

In his defense those large bore BP rifles do roll back a bit and he's got a tender shoulder hence all this .25 and .32-20 talk.

I'm personally not the largest fan of the long lock time especially when you know there's going to be a ride coming.
The huntsman is a break action in line so it goes bang quickly.

i own three .58 caliber muzzle loaders, two are mini ball rifles and the other one is my favorit .58. a tc big boar with a round ball twist, that i bought at a very good price because the original owner restocked it with tc renagrade stock and double set triggers(i added the reciever sight), i shoot .570 dia round balls with 80-90 grs ff and a tight patch. it shoots flatter than a mini ball to 100 yards with more that enough energy to kill deer.

DSCN9988 (3).JPG
DSCN9991 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The huntsman.58 is an extremely accurate rifle with both roundball and Minnie’s. That’s a fine group you have there for sure. And I’m pretty sure your 1:56 is correct if I remember right.
Yes, most all reasonably well made muzzleloaders, old or new, as long as they have a good bore usually hide a significant potential for accuracy that many shooters fail to completely explore. I was one of those shooters from the early days of the muzzleloader revival of the late 60s early 70s.
Over the years I've run full circle with muzzleloading firearms, including the hottest gadgetry of the 777 and three pellet modern inlines. Also along the way experimenting with all forms of projectiles and tricks. Contrasting, a good slow twist rifle is something to behold with a properly loaded patched roundball. After a few years of exploring the nuances of all the "modern" guns, projectiles and all the various substitute powders, I sold all that or traded it down the river.

Now I only have a modern 54 cal Hawken replica with all correct, custom parts, I built back in the early 70- a dedicated patched roundball rifle. I only shoot real BP. My greatest interest and love revolves around good condition, shootable, original muzzleloaders of the Mexican War to Civil War era. But I also shoot and tinker around those edges with some earlier rifles, a couple in original flintlock configuration.

It was during my dedicated historical anachronisms with these original rifle muskets, I discovered the true potential of most of them. With a lot of reading and a lot of trial and error, I learned the secrets for accurate Minie shooting. I also discovered the hunting potential of a soft lead Minie traveling at their original modest velocities loaded over modest charges of real blackpowder. One of the most impressive was a penetration test of a pure lead 69 caliber Minie into the standard, tough media I use for all such testing including premium jacketed high vel bullets out of high powered cartridge rifles. Even though the impact velocity was only 950-1000 fps, that 69 caliber Minie out penetrated most all premium high powered expanding bullets. Simply put (my theory anyway), it didn't waste much on kinetic energy deformation and transfer to the media and used all its momentum for penetration with very little deformation. I shoot three different 69 caliber originals but only have one suitable for Minie shooting- an original M1863 Plymouth rifle. That test had one of the most surprising results of all the muzzleloader media tests I've done. Once I learned the secrets of shooting the Minie, I would not hesitate to use any of my Minie rifles- 54, 58 and 69 calibers for any big game at reasonable ranges here or for any PG in Africa.

And back to Bob's story about his surprise tooth filling removal exercise, absolutely.... they can recoil more than a smidge! :) After all BP is not only pushing a projectile out the muzzle but also pushing a good percentage of its own mass out the muzzle. I've owned (and sold after short relationships) a couple of the 54 cal TC Renegades. I learned their stock ergonomics off the bench don't exactly lend to recoil mitigation :) Load a 420 gr conical over a stout charge of BP, hunker down on a bench and enjoy! I still shiver and shake my head at Selous' account of the double charge shot with his Hollis 4 bore. Those were loaded out of a leather bag of powder by scooping up a handful of BP powder (most estimate the average at about 410 grs), charging the bore by hand then ramming a 1750 gr lead roundball down on top. Selous, in the heat of the moment during an elephant hunt, not realizing his gun was already loaded, had his tracker load another full charge of a handful (400 + gr) of powder followed by a 1750 gr roundball on top. That is a 400 + gr plus charge of BP under at least 3900 grs of 2 balls and powder! At the shot the stock splintered (a stock that was wrapped with rawhide to prevent breakage) leaving a deep wound under his jaw. Splinters of the stock and barrel flipped upward and to the rear while flipping him backwards. He also recounts that he was surprised the barrel didn't burst. ooohhha!

A side note/story about the 58 Huntsman. About 1974 or 5, an acquaintance got one to hunt deer and elk with. He was at that time, an older shooter/reloader crank- kind of like I am now :)
I ran into him at the local shooting range ( borrow pit) one day a couple weeks prior to elk season. He was shooting his H&R 58. At the time I think I was shooting a TC 50 Hawken or possibly my 54 cal replica?? no matter. I noticed when he shot, the report was different and there was no smoke- huh? I asked about his load. He said he was using a small charge of Bullseye. I guess he was just lucky in the first trial with that load the gun didn't blow up. He stayed with it from then on convinced of how good it was. I'm certain the muzzle velocity was very low and no one at the time had a chronograph. I tried, without luck several times over the next couple of years, to explain to him that in order for Bullseye, under a heavy conical, to not blow the gun up, ballistically, it had to be far inferior to real BP and that the very slightest overcharge would turn the gun into a grenade. I moved, having never heard whether or not he ever blew up the gun. The story may be one of.... some people are just dumb lucky and/or a testament to how strong the H&R is :)

i own three .58 caliber muzzle loaders, two are mini ball rifles and the other one is my favorit .58. a tc big boar with a round ball twist, that i bought at a very good price because the original owner restocked it with tc renagrade stock and double set triggers(i added the reciever sight), i shoot .570 dia round balls with 80-90 grs ff and a tight patch. it shoots flatter than a mini ball to 100 yards with more that enough energy to kill deer.

View attachment 458935View attachment 458936
Ha! That really is something! You've got a big boar restocked as a renegade! That's pretty neat! Please post more pictures.

Part of my "passion and education". While each of these original US Military rifles and rifle muskets will shoot a patched roundball very well and do equally well for hunting deer and elk sized game, they were designed to shoot the Minie for continuous fire on the battlefield for many rounds without cleaning while extending the range beyond a basic roundball. See last pic showing 10 shots with no swabbing or cleaning with lubed Minie and 60 gr BP at 50 yards off bench loading as fast as possible with original M 1861. KISS principle seems to work for Minies. Pure lead carefully cast with a drive band OD that approximates land to land (bore) diameter. Crisco lube (or SPG if preferred). Real FF black powder. A charge that +/- equals the caliber.

Top to bottom:
US M '61 58 cal rifle musket, the most commonly issued rifle musket in the Civil War
US M '61 69 cal Plymouth-Navy rifle, used by Union to enforce blockade during Civil War
Us M '41 54 cal Mississippi rifle used during both the Mexican War and Civil war

Hollow base Minies
54 cal approx 420 gr
58 cal approx 445 gr
69 cal approx 710 gr It was this Minie out of the Plymouth rifle that surprised me during penetration tests.

Close up of left side of Plymouth rifle. Note the lash rub mark. A similar rifle is in the US Springfield Armory museum in Mass. showing nearly an identical mark. That mark IMO is nearly an absolute indicator that this rifle was issued to and sailed on a Union blockade ship during the Civil War. They had to lash them into their racks to secure them in rough seas. Additionally, this rifle has an unbelievable history. Apparently after the Civil War it was sold as surplus, ended up in Asia and was found there and brought back by a US soldier late in WW II. I have the original US military "bring back" papers!. How it survived the Civil War, all those years in Asia and retained such good condition with an excellent bore??... I will leave it as a mystery.

M 62, 61, 41 .png

4,58,69 cals.png

M61 Navy.JPG

Mason M1861 target.JPG

Last edited:
A side note/story about the 58 Huntsman. About 1974 or 5, an acquaintance got one to hunt deer and elk with. He was at that time, an older shooter/reloader crank- kind of like I am now :)
I ran into him at the local shooting range ( borrow pit) one day a couple weeks prior to elk season. He was shooting his H&R 58. At the time I think I was shooting a TC 50 Hawken or possibly my 54 cal replica?? no matter. I noticed when he shot, the report was different and there was no smoke- huh? I asked about his load. He said he was using a small charge of Bullseye. I guess he was just lucky in the first trial with that load the gun didn't blow up. He stayed with it from then on convinced of how good it was. I'm certain the muzzle velocity was very low and no one at the time had a chronograph. I tried, without luck several times over the next couple of years, to explain to him that in order for Bullseye, under a heavy conical, to not blow the gun up, ballistically, it had to be far inferior to real BP and that the very slightest overcharge would turn the gun into a grenade. I moved, having never heard whether or not he ever blew up the gun. The story may be one of.... some people are just dumb lucky and/or a testament to how strong the H&R is :)

It is not advertised nor widely known and I (until now) But yes it is safely possible to use very few types of smokeless powders in a black powder firearm.

I don't advocate or recommend the use of smokeless powders in any black powder firearm simply because people like to do stupid things without knowing why or the limitation as to the use of other than black powder or similar black powder substitutes in a black powder only firearm.

A hollow base doesn't work as well ballistically using smokeless powder, whereas a solid base bullet would work and provide good ballistics.

Cartridge black powder guns using smokeless powders at such drastically minimal amounts of powder is totally unsafe because bullets could easily not exit the barrel.

tc big boar with a renagade stock with double triggers added, a very good marrage.

DSCN9987 (3).JPG
DSCN9988 (3).JPG
DSCN9989 (3).JPG
DSCN9990 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way in hell you should use anything but black powder in a back powder rifle. No guess work at all and it’ll freaking kill you no matter what the internet gyros tell you.

Already parted with the huntsman, traded it of to a friend whom wanted it more than I for a 340 savage rebarreled to .25-35 win.
@Skinnersblade
Man you have done some horse trading since I've been on the forum mate. What is it now, number 10.
Bob

@Skinnersblade
Man you have done some horse trading since I've been on the forum mate. What is it now, number 10.
Bob
Probably closer too # 100 than #10 Bob I’ve got a few that will never be parted with and the rest are subject to change without notice. I’m sure the 340 will be around awhile Dad fired it four times last night and layed claim to it.

Probably closer too # 100 than #10 Bob I’ve got a few that will never be parted with and the rest are subject to change without notice. I’m sure the 340 will be around awhile Dad fired it four times last night and layed claim to it.
@Skinnersblade
Good to hear dad is doing well mate. It would be great if you could get him out to have a shot with you.
I will give you a call tomorrow
Bob.

Had one a long time ago in a Win 94. Shot pretty well IIRC. I always suspected Winchester designed it as their high power varmint cartridge for their lever gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.