Gunwerks Skuhl 375 Ruger

Versatile, plains and big game rifle for Africa?

• Win Model 70 375 H&H

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • Ruger Guide Gun 375 Ruger

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Gunwerks Skuhl 375 Ruger

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other (see my response in comments below)

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
I've got a 416 Rem Mag safari barrel coming soon. But a lighter weight 416 Ruger barrel would be fun. I would load it with a 400gr bullet at 2150 fps and it should work for most anything.
I had 400 Maximus loaded by superior ammo and it came in at 2250 in 20.5” barrel. 370gr safari raptor at 2300.

I haven’t harvested one yet but that looks like buffalo medicine!

Instead of solids I will load first with one safari raptor and follow up with 2 Maximus. I haven’t tried it yet but he loaded them to have similar POI at 50 yards.

I've got a 416 Rem Mag safari barrel coming soon. But a lighter weight 416 Ruger barrel would be fun. I would load it with a 400gr bullet at 2150 fps and it should work for most anything.
I’m a big fan of the 375 Ruger, but the 416 Ruger is about the same as 416 rem mag. Just built off same casing as 375 Ruger is why I went with it. I know it’s shorter but that doesn’t really change anything with my R8.

Just noticed I loaded those backwards in pic above. Oops! They still fit nicely though. Haha

Well, I’ve narrowed it down to a Snowy Mountain Alaskan in 375 H&H with a Defiance Hunter CRF action, 22” barrel, muzzle break and thread protector OR a Blaser R8 Professional with barrels for 375 H&H, 300 win mag, and 223 Rem. Surprisingly, the cost is similar here in Canada. I also looked at custom CRF rifles from Rifle’s Inc and Hill Mountain rifles and considered the workhorse Ruger M77’s and Winchester Model 70.

Am leaning towards the Blaser for ease of travel, shorter overall length with similar length barrel in a bolt action (~3.5 “ for the same length barrel) which is an advantage when using with silencers. Additionally, can buy a L hand bolt for it someday and hand it down to my boys if they continue hunting (6 & 9 yo, but both L eye dominant and L handed shooters). Finally, the resale value of the Blaser is likely better if I end up selling it someday, especially if I sell it as components. Planning on using the 223 barrel for gophers and coyotes to get familiar with the straight pull action.

The Alaskan is very durable and will be stainless and cerakoted so it will be very good in adverse weather and is CRF. For hunting here in Alberta, Canada the Alaskan is likely more weather resistant. Accuracy should be more than adequate in either.

What are your thoughts? I have a few other rifles in the safe I’m going to sell since they are the wrong hand for my kids to defray the cost and am excited to get my first medium bore. I’ve decided I want a synthetic stock, threaded barrel, and don’t want open sights on the barrel.

For those of you with a Blaser R8, what do you recommend for a travel case? The dealer I’m working with, Omar at Precisionoptics.com, carries the Blaser ABS Type C which would hold everything needed for a two rifle battery for travel. Is there another/better option?

Finally, what are your opinions on a 6.5PRC/375 H&H vs. a 300 win mag/375 H&H two gun battery for plains game. I am going to mount a Leopold VX6-HD 2-12 on the 375 rifle so it will be useable for plains game as well as buffalo down the road. I already have a 6.5 PRC/300 PRC switch barrel rifle (which would come with me to Africa if I went with the Snowy Mountain Alaskan) and am trying to reduce/limit the number the number of cartridges I use. Blaser doesn’t offer a 300 PRC barrel, but does have a 6.5 PRC. Since the 375 H&H is a great choice for a one rifle safari taking a second rifle in a smaller cartridge like the 6.5 PRC (similar ballistics and terminal performance to a 270 roughly) seems reasonable and would be great for use on smaller plains game. Of course, a .30 cal magnum is superior to a 6.5 PRC if you are on a one rifle plains game hunt, but that will not be the case. It occurs to me that a 6.5 PRC is a better hunting cartridge for my boys when they step up from .22lr and 6.5 Grendel to a full size rifle.

Original plan for my plains game hunt in September, which has just been booked for Namibia with Kowa’s, was to take my 300 PRC and to hunt springbok, impala, gemsbok, kudu and eland. Then I joined this forum and decided I ’needed’ a 375 and to hunt cape buffalo someday and I would take the 300 PRC and a 375 if I bought it in time. THANKS, guys lol.

If you’ve read this far, you have a serious rifle and Africa hunting problem - just like me…. Thanks for your comments and suggestions, I appreciate them and read and consider them all.

Attachments

• Alaskan - Snowy Mountain Rifles.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • R8 Configurator - Blaser GmbH.pdf
    201.9 KB · Views: 33
Win m70 with Leupold VX3HD 2.5-8 x36 or VX 5hd 2-10 x42 and good QD rings. 300 gr Swift A frames or 300 gr Barnes TSX. You will enjoy it and it wont let you down. Take a Tikka 300wm or 3006 if you not planning on DG. My 2c

Last edited:
Well, I’ve narrowed it down to a Snowy Mountain Alaskan in 375 H&H with a Defiance Hunter CRF action, 22” barrel, muzzle break and thread protector OR a Blaser R8 Professional with barrels for 375 H&H, 300 win mag, and 223 Rem. Surprisingly, the cost is similar here in Canada. I also looked at custom CRF rifles from Rifle’s Inc and Hill Mountain rifles and considered the workhorse Ruger M77’s and Winchester Model 70.

Am leaning towards the Blaser for ease of travel, shorter overall length with similar length barrel in a bolt action (~3.5 “ for the same length barrel) which is an advantage when using with silencers. Additionally, can buy a L hand bolt for it someday and hand it down to my boys if they continue hunting (6 & 9 yo, but both L eye dominant and L handed shooters). Finally, the resale value of the Blaser is likely better if I end up selling it someday, especially if I sell it as components. Planning on using the 223 barrel for gophers and coyotes to get familiar with the straight pull action.

The Alaskan is very durable and will be stainless and cerakoted so it will be very good in adverse weather and is CRF. For hunting here in Alberta, Canada the Alaskan is likely more weather resistant. Accuracy should be more than adequate in either.

What are your thoughts? I have a few other rifles in the safe I’m going to sell since they are the wrong hand for my kids to defray the cost and am excited to get my first medium bore. I’ve decided I want a synthetic stock, threaded barrel, and don’t want open sights on the barrel.

For those of you with a Blaser R8, what do you recommend for a travel case? The dealer I’m working with, Omar at Precisionoptics.com, carries the Blaser ABS Type C which would hold everything needed for a two rifle battery for travel. Is there another/better option?

Finally, what are your opinions on a 6.5PRC/375 H&H vs. a 300 win mag/375 H&H two gun battery for plains game. I am going to mount a Leopold VX6-HD 2-12 on the 375 rifle so it will be useable for plains game as well as buffalo down the road. I already have a 6.5 PRC/300 PRC switch barrel rifle (which would come with me to Africa if I went with the Snowy Mountain Alaskan) and am trying to reduce/limit the number the number of cartridges I use. Blaser doesn’t offer a 300 PRC barrel, but does have a 6.5 PRC. Since the 375 H&H is a great choice for a one rifle safari taking a second rifle in a smaller cartridge like the 6.5 PRC (similar ballistics and terminal performance to a 270 roughly) seems reasonable and would be great for use on smaller plains game. Of course, a .30 cal magnum is superior to a 6.5 PRC if you are on a one rifle plains game hunt, but that will not be the case. It occurs to me that a 6.5 PRC is a better hunting cartridge for my boys when they step up from .22lr and 6.5 Grendel to a full size rifle.

Original plan for my plains game hunt in September, which has just been booked for Namibia with Kowa’s, was to take my 300 PRC and to hunt springbok, impala, gemsbok, kudu and eland. Then I joined this forum and decided I ’needed’ a 375 and to hunt cape buffalo someday and I would take the 300 PRC and a 375 if I bought it in time. THANKS, guys lol.

If you’ve read this far, you have a serious rifle and Africa hunting problem - just like me…. Thanks for your comments and suggestions, I appreciate them and read and consider them all.
You are dead on. Love your choice. What I did!

I like 6.5prc/375 combo. 6.5 great for all plains game up to biggest, and can use 375 for those (eland and such) because it has similar ballistics to a 30/06 out to 250 yards. 6.5 is about all I use now for deer and such at home, and can reach out 5-600 yards if you elk hunt at distance or do a long plains game hunt.

Nitride coating of Blaser holds up as good as any coating I have found on rifle metal. Don’t know what they do but never seen a speck of rust. And I hunt my stuff hard.

I’m now up to 3 stocks and 5 barrels. So infinitely customizable.

Also 375 and 6.5 use same bolt, a little cost savings for you.

Call topdog guns and tell him what you want. Gave me the best deal by a wide margin. Top blaser seller in US I believe.

You do not need safari stock with steel receiver. The regular professional can handle all calibers. I did had the kick stop added in stock for extra weight mainly.

Last edited:

Highly recommend the Blaser R8 in 375H&H, 300WM and (why not) 257WBY. I understand the reasoning behind the 223REM if it's for the price of ammo. Another option would be to get a 22lr kit for practice. If you go with the 257WBY it keeps the MA bolt head (shared by the 375H&H and 300WM) so you don't have to change it out. Not a deal breaker, but it's just one more thing.

As for a travel case, I wouldn't buy the Blaser branded ABS travel case. It's made for travel when YOU are in control of the case...not baggage handlers. Get a Pelican 1700 case (without foam) then buy PE foam separately if you plan on any airline travel. At one time Blaser partnered with Pelican to make cases with foam. If you can find them, they demand a premium price...upwards of $600. Much more economical to make your own.

Plus you can customize it the way you want. Many members have taken a Blaser R8 and double rifle in a Pelican 1700 with no problems. This is one of the Blaser branded Pelican cases with two barrels and enough room for optics.

1705970483989.png

Well, I placed my order today. Went with the Blaser R8 Professional with barrels for 223, 6.5 PRC, and 375 H&H. Thanks for the input, advice, and recommendations on Pelican 1700 cases with custom cut foam. That’s the next thing to get ordered. Have a Leupold VX6 3-18x50 that’ll go on the 6.5 PRC, putting a VX6HD 2-12 on the 375 and those are the two that’ll go to Africa with me this fall.

Looking to run the classic 300 gr TSX through the 375, not sure about the 6.5 PRC yet. Thinking 127 gr LRX or 130 gr CX, but have read good things on this forum about 143 gr ELDX as well. Already have some 6.5 PRC ammo.

My biggest problem is I find myself looking at a 300 PRC barrel from J Sip and Sons and thinking about 416 and nice wood stocked model down the road. I’ve got reservations about the reliability and durability of wood, but do love the look of it. The Blaser bedding system should prevent any shifts in POI with humidity etc. Guess I’ve found my next last rifle purchase…

And how pretty is this - https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/blaser/straight-pull/375/r8-custom-lion-230421143331008 ? Love that engraving.

Well, I placed my order today. Went with the Blaser R8 Professional with barrels for 223, 6.5 PRC, and 375 H&H. Thanks for the input, advice, and recommendations on Pelican 1700 cases with custom cut foam. That’s the next thing to get ordered. Have a Leupold VX6 3-18x50 that’ll go on the 6.5 PRC, putting a VX6HD 2-12 on the 375 and those are the two that’ll go to Africa with me this fall.

Looking to run the classic 300 gr TSX through the 375, not sure about the 6.5 PRC yet. Thinking 127 gr LRX or 130 gr CX, but have read good things on this forum about 143 gr ELDX as well. Already have some 6.5 PRC ammo.

My biggest problem is I find myself looking at a 300 PRC barrel from J Sip and Sons and thinking about 416 and nice wood stocked model down the road. I’ve got reservations about the reliability and durability of wood, but do love the look of it. The Blaser bedding system should prevent any shifts in POI with humidity etc. Guess I’ve found my next last rifle purchase…

And how pretty is this - https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/blaser/straight-pull/375/r8-custom-lion-230421143331008 ? Love that engraving.
Excellent choice.

I did see a wood stocked (lightly used) Blaser R8 500J in the classifieds at a reasonable price. You could sell the 500J barrel and pick up a 416RM to replace it.

BTW - My wife has a wood stocked Blaser Intuition that has been extremely durable. She has no worries about taking it on a hunt as long as proper care is taken when it done. No different than any other wood stocked rifle.

Run a mono metal like the two you mentioned. The Eldx is too soft for PRC velocities on shoulder punching African game. LRX will be plenty accurate much further than you need for Africa. Great combo you got.

My god, it’s AFRICA!!! Do you take a hot blond in a short dress with stiletto heels to McDonalds? Hell no, you take her to fancy steak house…. Do you take an ugly synthetic gun your going to be taking a bunch of pictures with to Africa? Hell no, you take a nicely figured wood stocked gun that fits the part. . OK, rant over, but that’s still my opinion.

IMG_4507.jpeg
IMG_3315.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the biggest things I see is that, as been mentioned before, you’re essentially paying for some features that you don’t really need.
Let me preface this with I am certainly no African hunting expert and there are guys here that have spent more time in an African toilet than I have on the whole continent but…. I have hunted dangerous game twice (Lion and buffalo) and hunted across two countries in Africa. I have also hunted for a living here in the US for many years now.
The gunwerks gun is certainly cool but it’s been designed around a false assumption. Gunwerks certainly builds incredibly accurate rifles and they made their name in the distance game. That’s great and all but Dangerous game is generally measured in feet not yards. Furthermore, rarely if ever in Africa do you have to take truly long range shots at plains game. You can certainly set some up in certain areas if one wanted but as far as needing to shoot past 250 yards is rare occasion in deed.
Another issue is their break. The vast majority of PH’s hate muzzle breaks and I believe they can literally cause a safety issue when hunting DG. In a tough spot if you ring your PH’s bell with that break very very bad things can happen. If you disorient your backup in a charge situation from the concussion off that break it can get deadly real fast.
A side note, the most readily available ammo is only made by Hornady in their DSX and DGS line. I personally have hunted lion and buffalo with that ammunition (as have many others here) and can tell you it is absolute garbage and truly flat dangerous. Myself and a whole lot of other hunters here have experienced catastrophic bullet failure when it counted the most (read my lion hunt report). I understand Hornady has since changed the bullet design a little but I wouldn’t trust that garbage with my life. If you hand load (I do now for my 416 Ruger) you are fine and the Ruger calibers are great. Use a Barnes TSX or a Swift A Frame. If you don’t, Hornady is really your only readily available option.
Some times the new coolest stuff is more of a hindrance than a help. Re-inventing the wheel is not always a good thing and gunwerks is basing their rifle off of a false pretense in that DG hunting IS NOT a distance thing. Furthermore, with a standard CZ or Winchester, Remington, etc….. they all shoot minute of angle out of the box and any of them are much more accurate than the average shooter is capable of shooting and plenty accurate enough to kill PG at any realistic, in the field, hunting situation you will find yourself in while actually hunting.
375 H&H is also readily available across the entire continent and if your rifle makes it but the bag with your ammo gets lost by the airline you are likely screwed or will be using a loner from your PH as the Ruger calibers are very hard to find over there.
I have several DG guns all are in traditional calibers except 1. I have a 416 Ruger I have hunted DG with twice. I love the caliber and the gun ( I took the break off mine and installed a barrel weight) but the Hornady ammo is crap. I now load my own 416 Ruger ammo and it’s great but…. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a CZ in 416 Rigby like my 375 H&H.
On a side note I have killed animals with my CZ 375 H&H out to 350 ish yards at home. It is bone stock and is an absolute tack driver.

My god, it’s AFRICA!!! Do you take a hot blond in a short dress with stiletto heels to McDonalds? Hell no, you take her to fancy steak house…. Do you take an ugly synthetic gun your going to be taking a bunch of pictures with to Africa? Hell no, you take a nicely figured wood stocked gun that fits the part. . OK, rant over, but that’s still my opinion.

Image1706195058.770752.jpg

Image1706195321.551765.jpg

One of the biggest things I see is that, as been mentioned before, you’re essentially paying for some features that you don’t really need.
Let me preface this with I am certainly no African hunting expert and there are guys here that have spent more time in an African toilet than I have on the whole continent but…. I have hunted dangerous game twice (Lion and buffalo) and hunted across two countries in Africa. I have also hunted for a living here in the US for many years now.
The gunwerks gun is certainly cool but it’s been designed around a false assumption. Gunwerks certainly builds incredibly accurate rifles and they made their name in the distance game. That’s great and all but Dangerous game is generally measured in feet not yards. Furthermore, rarely if ever in Africa do you have to take truly long range shots at plains game. You can certainly set some up in certain areas if one wanted but as far as needing to shoot past 250 yards is rare occasion in deed.
Another issue is their break. The vast majority of PH’s hate muzzle breaks and I believe they can literally cause a safety issue when hunting DG. In a tough spot if you ring your PH’s bell with that break very very bad things can happen. If you disorient your backup in a charge situation from the concussion off that break it can get deadly real fast.
A side note, the most readily available ammo is only made by Hornady in their DSX and DGS line. I personally have hunted lion and buffalo with that ammunition (as have many others here) and can tell you it is absolute garbage and truly flat dangerous. Myself and a whole lot of other hunters here have experienced catastrophic bullet failure when it counted the most (read my lion hunt report). I understand Hornady has since changed the bullet design a little but I wouldn’t trust that garbage with my life. If you hand load (I do now for my 416 Ruger) you are fine and the Ruger calibers are great. Use a Barnes TSX or a Swift A Frame. If you don’t, Hornady is really your only readily available option.
Some times the new coolest stuff is more of a hindrance than a help. Re-inventing the wheel is not always a good thing and gunwerks is basing their rifle off of a false pretense in that DG hunting IS NOT a distance thing. Furthermore, with a standard CZ or Winchester, Remington, etc….. they all shoot minute of angle out of the box and any of them are much more accurate than the average shooter is capable of shooting and plenty accurate enough to kill PG at any realistic, in the field, hunting situation you will find yourself in while actually hunting.
375 H&H is also readily available across the entire continent and if your rifle makes it but the bag with your ammo gets lost by the airline you are likely screwed or will be using a loner from your PH as the Ruger calibers are very hard to find over there.
I have several DG guns all are in traditional calibers except 1. I have a 416 Ruger I have hunted DG with twice. I love the caliber and the gun ( I took the break off mine and installed a barrel weight) but the Hornady ammo is crap. I now load my own 416 Ruger ammo and it’s great but…. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a CZ in 416 Rigby like my 375 H&H.
On a side note I have killed animals with my CZ 375 H&H out to 350 ish yards at home. It is bone stock and is an absolute tack driver.
As above, I have purchased a Blaser R8 in 375 H&H and 6.5 PRC. The buy ammo anywhere doesn’t really resonate with me. It’s there, but I’d want to rezero anyway so it’s not a huge comfort to me that ammo is available. Unfortunately, luggage and ammo being delayed is just one of the joys of international travel. Buying/borrowing ammo or borrowing a camp rifle is just something you might have to do. I’d like to hunt with my rifle and ammo, but I’m going to enjoy my trip no matter what.

I have made arrangements with my PH to hunt suppressed with both barrels and the shorter overall length of the R8 was a factor. I went with a 23” threaded barrel. As the Blaser R8 is 3” or so shorter with the same barrel length as a bolt action, an additional 6” for the suppressor will leave me with a rifle that is still only as long as a 26” bolt action.

You did great!

Best ammo I have found for 6.5prc is federal terminal ascent 130gr. It’s premium as it comes but is available off the shelf. I use custom ammo most of the time, but the TA is custom grade imo. It is updated trophy bonded bear claw that reliably opens at high and low velocities, and has a great BC.

Actually, my wife is a police officer and wouldn’t be caught dead in stiletto heels. She’s a wonderful person, capable and attractive and I couldn’t care less that she doesn’t dress like that - in fact I prefer it!

Function over form for me with regards to rifles and durable, synthetic stocks that won’t shift no matter the conditions or break are what I like. I do admire the beauty of wood and engraved rifles, but if I bought one it would be a laminate or one with a bedding block to ensure consistent point of impact.

I thought about a Luxus stock for the R8 - receiver engraved with Cape buffalo and lion - but this was a more practical purchase. I also looked at the Selous and kilombero models which are wood stocked, but much more expensive and heavier which I don’t need in a 375. Will post some pics. Nice to dream about anyway…

R8 Luxus, Kilombero, and Selous.

I do appreciate wood stocks and case hardening. Maybe someday…

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

IMG_6472.jpeg
IMG_6471.jpeg
IMG_6470.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

And the funds in their bank account. LOL

Blaser also made a Jaeger PH model that had a grey receiver and safari magnum (pancake style) stock with a 19mm barrel channel.

One of the members here had one but it's moved on since then. It looked somewhat like this but with the 19mm barrel instead of the 22mm pictured here.
1706209689134.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agenttinah

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….