Gunsmith recommendations to build a Mauser into 404J

Dennis Erhardt in Helena, MT does excellent work, he has built several for me. A .404 was going to be the next one I commissioned from him, but decided to spend that money on a hunt instead.

This may be a little offbase for this post and I may be dating myself but I'm trying to find a stockmaker who can fit a Monte Carlo rollover comb on one of my rifles. Right now I'm using a velcro cheekpiece but it doesn't fit that well and I can't get a good cheekweld. I would like to find someone within a reasonable distance of northern NV who I can work with and get it fitted to me.

I had one on a rifle waaay back in the 1960s and it made a great improvement in my shooting. They are very comfortable and seem to mitigate a lot of recoil for me. This one will go on my 375HH. Any suggestions welcome.

During the past year, I had a Win Mod 70 converted from 300 RUM to 404 Jeffery. I had Dennis Olson in MT do the work and was very happy with the results and the cost.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/i-joined-the-404-jeffery-club-today.47021/

I can't comment on your specific need for a Mauser vs. my work on a Winchester, but you can contact Dennis and discuss it with him.

Contact info for Dennis Olson. His wife, Glenda, handles most to the email communication.

DENNIS OLSON GUNSMITH
PO BOX 337
PLAINS MT 59859-0337

Physical address for UPS or FedEx deliveries
Dennis Olson
500 First St
Plains , MT 59859

Email: dgolson@montana.com
Phone: (406) 826-3790

Dennis did the metal work on my Lott.
2zxmlol.jpg

42qys.jpg

This rifle was being built for Stu Taylor before he had his unfortunate accident.

Attachments

• 42qys.jpg
    42qys.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 202
  • 2zxmlol.jpg
    2zxmlol.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 177
I’m going to look further at the MRC but I’ve also had two phone conversations with Mr Olson and I’m waiting an itemized email quote to determine by best route. He seems very well spoken of

Ryan Breeding made many fine rifles in .404 and .500 Jeffery in the past 35 years. Maybe you can email him and ask if he is still in business .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross