Gunsmith recommendations to build a Mauser into 404J

Wood_Duck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Looking for stateside smiths to build a 1909 Argentinian Mauser action into .404 Jeffery. Who do you guys recommend? The rifle will be in harms way in the future so feeding is paramount! A couple people I’ve spoke to seemed okay doing the rechambering but seemed less than confident on function due to unfamiliarity with the cartridge. But these were more locals who are use to 30-06/6.5 deer/target rifles.

This is going to be a fun post to watch. I currently own two 404(s) one a CZ, the other a converted 375 H&H Winchester Mod 70. Now that The Montana Rifle Company is offering the 404 Jeffery in several of their rifles, it is probably the least expensive way to go.

J. J. Perodeau is a gunmaker that should be on your list. Probably not the cheapest. Probably not the fastest. Certainly one of the best if he will do it for you.

I should also mention I have access to a Columbian Mauser as well that a friend would be willing to sell. I understand they were designed for a slightly larger cartridge length than some other large rings.

Who to go to will somewhat depend upon what you're after as an end result. Do you want a functional work of art, or merely a functional rifle? Also, how long are you willing to wait? Further, there's stock considerations (what are you looking for and who can provide it). The .404 Jeffrey isn't a difficult conversion, just a lot of questions to think about before commissioning the work.

J. J. Perodeau is a gunmaker that should be on your list. Probably not the cheapest. Probably not the fastest. Certainly one of the best if he will do it for you.
I believe that J.J. in the last couple of years has committed to doubles work only. But it would still be worth it give him a call to confirm this.

Who to go to will somewhat depend upon what you're after as an end result. Do you want a functional work of art, or merely a functional rifle? Also, how long are you willing to wait? Further, there's stock considerations (what are you looking for and who can provide it). The .404 Jeffrey isn't a difficult conversion, just a lot of questions to think about before commissioning the work.

I’m looking for more of a working rifle. It’s primary quarry will be bear but with African plans as well. My vision is a 21” barreled rifle with express sights and possibly a claw mount system for the optic. Blued/fire blued trigger/accents. No engraving, M70 style safety with a drop belly magazine and a fairly basic walnut stock. Definately a function over form with just a touch of class.

Everyone in the Guild has proven their ability (a condition of entry). Some specialize in this or that but I would recommend finding someone near where you live so that you can meet in person and develop a relationship with the maker.

https://www.acgg.org/

As mentioned, it is not a difficult project, technically speaking, so any number of smiths will be able to do a decent job of it, producing something you can carry into the thick stuff with absolute confidence. And, the 1909 Argentine action is about as fine a choice as you can make, with regard to a foundation. So, find someone near enough to meet with in person. You can go over details and have a much more dynamic conversation, you benefiting from the maker's experience and he/she benefiting from gaining a better understanding of your need (and wants). As an added benefit, they can measure you for fit, if they're so inclined, and you can select a blank from their inventory (if they're so stocked).

Not sure if they could (or would) do the action work required for a 404J or not (expand the magazine, open up the front and rear of the action where it mates with the magazine, etc..).. but ER Shaw is pretty affordable and has decent turn around times for at least some of the work you are going to need done..

They will do a "magnum alteration" to a 98 mauser action for about a hundred bucks.. this includes opening up the bolt face for the big bore cartridge case, opening up the rails so that the bigger rounds can be loaded in the magazine and that they will properly feed from it, etc..

They can also do some other common work required on military mausers if youre turning an argentine into a sporter... like reforging the bolt handle so that it will clear an optic, drill and tap for scope mounts, etc.. pretty affordably and quickly..

I had them do some of the work I couldnt do myself when I built my 416 last year.. and was happy with the results overall.. My rifle performs feeds, extracts, and ejects perfectly.. etc..

Shaw isnt where I would send my rifle for anything "pretty" (Im sure you can get better stock work, better bluing, etc elsewhere..).. and Im sure there are other smiths are better suited for specific tasks you might want completed on your 404J that arent all that common on bolt guns here in the US (claw mounts come to mind)..

but if you are mostly concerned with function over form, ER Shaw can certainly build a rifle that will function reliably, shoot accurately, etc.. and will do it more affordably than most others.. and will provide reasonable turn around time to boot..

Another option would be Wayne at American Hunting Rifles who specializes in the CZ550.
CZ550 is very similar to the Mauser 98, although not identical.
I'm sure he's more than capable of taking care of you.

In addition, he also has a CZ550 in 404J for sale on his site.
Except the barrel is a little long for you said you wanted and wood a wee bit fancy.
Having the barrel trimmed down is no big deal, and I'm sure he can restock it if you choose to.
Still a pretty good deal for a "turn key" DG rifle.
http://americanhuntingrifles.com/available-now/

Another option would be Wayne at American Hunting Rifles who specializes in the CZ550.
CZ550 is very similar to the Mauser 98, although not identical.
I'm sure he's more than capable of taking care of you.

In addition, he also has a CZ550 in 404J for sale on his site.
Except the barrel is a little long for you said you wanted and wood a wee bit fancy.
Having the barrel trimmed down is no big deal, and I'm sure he can restock it if you choose to.
Still a pretty good deal for a "turn key" DG rifle.
http://americanhuntingrifles.com/available-now/
Beautiful wood on this rifle!

Wood Duck, given the paucity of gunsmith's names offered up so far, I'm beginning to think that there are not all that many. That could be the result of two or three factors. One, not enough folks have see and answered your question; two, there are not a lot of happy customers out there that have had successful conversions done; three, there are not a lot of gunsmiths willing to do the conversion. Although the Mauser conversion might be more "proper" in your eyes, there are a number of us that have had Winchester Mod 70(s) converted successfully. Again, please take a good look at The Montana Rifle Company's offerings. Their action is a Mauser derivative CRF and that is normally what you want in a DG rifle.

I’m actually planning to call Montana Rifle this afternoon to talk custom options. Prices seem phenomenal if the reliability is there. I’m unfamiliar with them although seeing they offer a .275 Rigby option I’m inclined to as I’d love to have another .275 Rigby rifle in the safe

Please keep us posted re. your discussions with MRC. The new owners have made good on a lot of promises. I suspect you will be very pleased after talking with them.

Wood Duck, given the paucity of gunsmith's names offered up so far, I'm beginning to think that there are not all that many.

The reason that I haven't responded has been that the only gunsmiths that I have dealt with on projects such as this have 1. gone to work for a company; 2. retired; 3.. passed away. Tip Burns of Texas is in category 1; CP Donnelly is in group 3. Presently I am dealing with a young start-up by the name of Mitchell Rolen, Malaga, WA. What little work I have had him do so far is very convincing that he is very skilled and I am taking some additional work to him. He was referred to me by another fellow that is very impressed with him. So it might be worth your time to contact him and see what you think.

Please keep us posted re. your discussions with MRC. The new owners have made good on a lot of promises. I suspect you will be very pleased after talking with them.
I spoke with MRC. Besides fire blue of the trigger and some smaller components the conversation seemed to point in them building my way as long as i don’t mind waiting. And by that would involve me sourcing a front sight, preferred express leaf sight, and barrel band. Given the financial costs it’s extremely tempting and I’m suppose to email a thorough detailed list for an accurate quote on everything. I’m still torn on this being simplistic and meeting needs vs a traditional Mauser base to say it’s really my own

I’m actually planning to call Montana Rifle this afternoon to talk custom options. Prices seem phenomenal if the reliability is there. I’m unfamiliar with them although seeing they offer a .275 Rigby option I’m inclined to as I’d love to have another .275 Rigby rifle in the safe
Hey
Wood Duck
Call me direct- Im one of the owners and the 275 Rigby is my pet!! Also the DGR series is auwsome

Ron
406-756-4867 -209

Wood_Duck, New England Custom Guns (NECG) is a good source of iron sights and Barrel Bands. I have their sights on a Ruger No. 1 in 416 Rigby and my CZ 550 in 404 Jeffery. Although I normally shoot both rifles with QD mounted scopes I can get back to Irons very quickly. Take Ron Petty up on his offer. He is a shooter and has been around the "gun" game for awhile. So far, he has been 100% true to his word.

What about;
# Rusty Macgee
# Stuart Saterlee
# Jim Kobe
# Dwuane Wiebe
# Dennis Earl Smith

I think he might be located in Canada, but Ralph Martini builds exceptional custom rifles and if you are prepared to expedite to Europe Joel Dorleac is an absolute Master.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois