Gunsmith for FN m98 action

ftothfadd

AH enthusiast
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
359
Reaction score
328
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
Hungary, Austria, Tajikistan, North Ossetia, Canada, Alaska
Dear Members,

I have recently purchased a 9.3x62 rifle built on a commercial FN action and a (Hart?!) barrel. The rifle is nice, but I want to make it even better without spending an unreasonable amount of money on it. I would like to have a 3 position (M70 type) safety installed, figure out why the second half of the bolt opening appears unreasonably difficult, and have the rifle cerakoted on gloss black (so I can sleep better if I grab it with my sweaty hands). The problem is that I live in the Minneapolis area and I am not aware of any gunsmiths who routinely does this kind of work. I would like to avoid shipping the rifle if I can. If anyone has any suggestions for an established, reputable gunsmiths in MN who does work on m98 rifles I would be very grateful.
Thank you!
 
Dear Members,

I have recently purchased a 9.3x62 rifle built on a commercial FN action and a (Hart?!) barrel. The rifle is nice, but I want to make it even better without spending an unreasonable amount of money on it. I would like to have a 3 position (M70 type) safety installed, figure out why the second half of the bolt opening appears unreasonably difficult, and have the rifle cerakoted on gloss black (so I can sleep better if I grab it with my sweaty hands). The problem is that I live in the Minneapolis area and I am not aware of any gunsmiths who routinely does this kind of work. I would like to avoid shipping the rifle if I can. If anyone has any suggestions for an established, reputable gunsmiths in MN who does work on m98 rifles I would be very grateful.
Thank you!
I am down to Minneapolis VA Hospital from time to time. I could install a 3-position Model 70 style safety if I'm in the area. Not very difficult if the bolt isn't messed up. I put a Parkwest 3-position safety/shroud in my Czech 98 Mauser 404J build and it did have a bolt messed up by previous bubba-smith owner.
20240420_112851_resized_6.jpg
20251001_192231.jpg


Your bolt opening issue sounds very much like an aftermarket trigger installed incorrectly. A bit of work modifying the cocking piece sear with Dremel grinder can fix it . Timney trigger instructions say to trim the trigger sear as needed but it's much better to trim cocking piece sear. Cocking piece is cheap to replace if something goes wrong, trigger assembly not so much. Do you have a scope mounted on the rifle? Bolt opening issue can also be caused by screw for base extending through the receiver into bolt track. Very common.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,388
Messages
1,574,811
Members
170,177
Latest member
oncloudtilt
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top