Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, and now Tajikistan
In the post listed below

http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-africa/8393-guns-safety-africa.html

There is a great discussion concerning gun safety. In post #17 olebailey talks about carrying his rifle using a sling. So which rifle sling is effective in Africa?

I have to admit that the first thing I noticed about the Winchester .375 is that it is a lot heavier than my Browning A-bolt 30-06. Fatigue makes us all do stupid things.

I used two slings on my recent trip and was very happy with them:

Vero Vellini Double Sling for the heavy Blaser R8 .375 H&H Magunm. Being able to have that rifle supported by both shoulders and having both hands free was a BIG help during the longer hikes. There were also times when I needed both hands free climbing rocks. Amazon.com: Vero Vellini Double Sling, Forest Green/Brown Leather: Sports & Outdoors

Safari Ching Sling for the lighter Browning BBR in 30-06. The interesting thing about this sling is that you can use it as a regular sling or of you pass your arm through as a hybrid military sling. Pictures show that the sling is cupped on the elbow and you can certainly do that. However, if you pass your arm through you can make a very fine hasty sling. SAFARI CHING SLING: Slings for Rifles and Shotguns: Hunting Slings at Galco

Vero Vellini Double Sling for the heavy Blaser R8 .375 H&H Magunm. Being able to have that rifle supported by both shoulders and having both hands free was a BIG help during the longer hikes. There were also times when I needed both hands free climbing rocks. Amazon.com: Vero Vellini Double Sling, Forest Green/Brown Leather: Sports & Outdoors

BigSteve, I like the idea of spreading the weight of the rifle over both shoulders. What was it like to move the rifle from the carry position to the shooting position?

I liked the other sling idea too. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

BigSteve, I like the idea of spreading the weight of the rifle over both shoulders. What was it like to move the rifle from the carry position to the shooting position?

I liked the other sling idea too. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

I was able to get in and out of the sling very quickly. It basically goes on and off like a backpack. With a bit of practice I was able to get into and out of the sling in seconds.

One thing not mentioned is the fact that the sling stretches a bit and has quick detach fittings. The fact that the sling stretches a bit might seem bad but it is not. It helps greatly with the comfort carrying. If you use the quick detach fittings the rifle will literally fall off you. I did not use the QD fittings but they are there in case you need them.

The trip I took was a great opportunity to try some gear under really intense hunting conditions and I would take both slings back in a heartbeat. These slings were cases where I managed to guess right.

The Ching Sling was used in traditional fashion during our hunt. I mentioned its military sling application but I did not use this during the hunt that way. I did use it that way (military sling service rifle style) prior to the hunt on the rifle range and it helped with accuracy just as a military sling would.

BigSteve and Bobpuckett thanks for your ideas!
I can see another problem starting to development. I don't have enough rifles to try with all these slings. :think:

I can see another problem starting to development. I don't have enough rifles to try with all these slings. :think:

:laughing: theres always gunbroker.:thumb:

As with any crisis in in life the thing the experts always say is, to make it through it, you need to have a good support network in place. We're here for ya man.

This is an old thread but still a relevant subject.
I would like recommendations on two particular slings for use on a PG Hunt in S. Africa.
The Boonie Packer Safari sling - this holds the rifle across your chest with the muzzle angled horizontal or angled up.
And the Boonie Packer Safari Tactical sling - very similar but designed for the muzzle to be pointed down when carried in front.

Has anyone used either of these slings?
link: http://www.redi-mag.com/ look in the "hunting" section for these two slings and they have video on both.
Thanks
Charlie (going to Limpopo with Limcroma Safaris this September)

I used the Galco Ching Sling for two years. When shooting it definitely does the job and steadies you.

That being said, I found that it didn't work well as a gun toting device. It always wanted to slip down my shoulder... And even worse, it catches badly on brush when I had my gun in hand. Just too much loose leather when fitted right.... That's my opinion on it anyway.

So now for my .30/06 I just used a good old fashioned one inch nylon sling adjusted so that I can quickly go into a hasty sling. For my .375 H&H I use a Grovtec Neoprene sling. The neoprene has some give and it is wider, helping with the weight. It also doesn't slide and has a thumb loop while carrying. I can do a hasty sling with it too.

At the end of the day for me personally I've given up on "fancy" slings. And will never but another one. Well... That backpack sling does look kinda cool.... ;)

We used "The Claw" sling and I really like it as does my daughter. I do not usually use it for a support when shooting but you can. I like it because I have tried many slings and this one stays on my shoulder better than any of them. It also is comfortable on the shoulder when carrying.

Red Leg,
Are both of these standard type slings primarily designed to carry the rifle on the shoulder?
thanks

Yes, though like most straps, they make a fine hasty sling (forearm wrap technique) for almost any field position.

The best rifle sling I have found is the Master Blaster sticky-back from Texas Hunt Co. http://www.texashuntco.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=67
It has a built in shock-absorber. The greatest part; however, is the sticky material on the back of his sling. It keeps the rifle from sliding off the shoulder. Really fantastic! The best sling I have found by far.

I suppose I am part of a minority on this issue. I have gotten away from using slings altogether. I keep them on my children's firearms, but I personally feel they are more of a pain in the butt than they are worth. A well positioned cradle carry is the way I have been walking the woods the past 10+years. That being said if I were on a long sitatunga hunt, I probably would go with one of the military leather slings.

I suppose I am part of a minority on this issue. I have gotten away from using slings altogether. I keep them on my children's firearms, but I personally feel they are more of a pain in the butt than they are worth. A well positioned cradle carry is the way I have been walking the woods the past 10+years. That being said if I were on a long sitatunga hunt, I probably would go with one of the military leather slings.

I'm with you, mostly. My rifles are slinged, but I spend much more time with the rifle in my hands than on my shoulder. And if the brush is heavy I take the sling off and put it in my pack/pocket. My grandfather always said you couldn't shoot with a rifle slung over your shoulder!!!

For our Africa trip I took the Safari Ching Sling for our 30-06 and the Vero Vellini Double Sling for my Blaser .375 H&H.

I used the Ching sling as a hasty sling once to good effect.

The double sling was great for the long hikes and lowered the fatigue factor which always helps.

So I will report I/we were able to use both slings for their advertised & intended purpose.

All great inputs, thanks.

Does anyone have any experience with the Boonie Packer Safari Slings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg