Gun cases for flights

A.S.C.

New member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hunted
Italy, Sweden
Hello,

I am trying to figure out what kind of extra costs I could have regarding a trip to South Africa.
When travelling on an airplane with a firearm in Europe it is ok to have only the hard plastic bag they usually give you when you buy the rifle as long as it has some kind of lock. Basically it doesnt give you any safety, the case is not strong and the lock can be easily opened but I have never had any problem travelling in Europe since it is handled as a special baggage. Then I must put the ammunitions in a similar case, for that i use a plastic pistol case with a lock.

Now i wonder if for a trip to Africa i need a different case. I am quit worried because I saw some special cases that cost almost like my rifle...

What is your experience regarding firearm cases?
 
I have an SKB Hard Case that I picked up on E-bay,,there are more quality cases out there I just liked their 1500.00 contents and lifetime build warranty,, the company shipped it from Texas to Minnesota with out any packaging Via UPS and it passed that test
 
TSA regs require a case that cannot easily be opened, either by removing/bypassing locks or by prying it open with a reasonable amount of force. I would stick with an airline approved case. They are not all expensive. The most popular on here are the Pelican IM3300, Pelican 1750 and the Tuffpack, the latter has room for clothes and accessories as well.

This is what the general consensus is:
http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-equipment-gear-optics/433-hard-cases-rifles.html
http://www.africahunting.com/firearms-ammunition-general/7191-hard-case-rifle.html
 
Do you use another pelican case for the ammunitions?
 
Do you use another pelican case for the ammunitions?

I have a pelican rip off for the ammo. basically the same box but 1/2 the price.
 
I use an Explorer case, made in Italy, very similar to Pelican, much better price.

Been to SA a few times without any problems.
 
I just got the im3300 for christmas for my safari in june it is and awesome case, plenty of room for my 2 scoped rifles and a spare scope. it looks to be built like a tank.
 
X3 on the im3300. Im sure mine could fall out of the aircraft, then be run over by one of those mobile airplane stair units, get stuck underneath it and be drug back to the terminal and still be on sight. (of course that would be better treatment than they normally give gun cases but I am just saying) Needless to say they are strong enough to resist the baggage compacter and the baggage-apult for those tight connections, although on my last trip I noticed some minor singing from the baggage cannon.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,572,049
Members
169,485
Latest member
TaniaBufor
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top