Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
PHASA, CHASA, North West Hunting Association, Brits Hunting Club
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana, Namibia Zimbabwe
Hanneke's first shot on a guinea-fowl!!

Guinea fowl and francolin are 2 of my favorite African game birds to eat. I remember my life’s first African safari back in Kenya, 1974. Our white hunter, Mr. Cheffings had an extremely talented native chef in his camp.

The chef had made us a wonderful African Potjie by using Guinea fowl which we had hunted on the previous day. Served simply with a crusty loaf of bread and an ice cold can of beer, it was absolutely heavenly. I really wish I had remembered to ask the chef for the recipe. Over the years, I’ve been lucky enough to eat many excellent meals on my African safaris. But nothing will ever even remotely hold a candle to that Guinea fowl Potjie I had in camp in ’74. Not even the finest Kobe beef steak.

Guinea fowl and francolin are 2 of my favorite African game birds to eat. I remember my life’s first African safari back in Kenya, 1974. Our white hunter, Mr. Cheffings had an extremely talented native chef in his camp.

The chef had made us a wonderful African Potjie by using Guinea fowl which we had hunted on the previous day. Served simply with a crusty loaf of bread and an ice cold can of beer, it was absolutely heavenly. I really wish I had remembered to ask the chef for the recipe. Over the years, I’ve been lucky enough to eat many excellent meals on my African safaris. But nothing will ever even remotely hold a candle to that Guinea fowl Potjie I had in camp in ’74. Not even the finest Kobe beef steak.
Thanks for sharing your story! Good memories make life worthwile!

When I was a child we had guinea fowl living in the vlei near our house. I used to hunt them with my pellet airgun. A shot to the head and they were dead. Then I would bring them home for my mother to cook. They are a darker more pink meat when compared to chicken but excellent in a casserole none the less. I had a unique way of hunting them. Guinea fowl are creatures of habit and are easy to pattern. Especially at the end of the day towards sunset. Undisturbed they will sleep in the same roost tree every night. In addition they will dust bathe every evening. One day I discovered that there was a ditch the was dug in a spot that they used to dust bathe. So I would take my pellet gun and lay down in the ditch a couple of hours before sunset. The flock of guinea fowl would then come to dust bathe. I would peek out over the side of the ditch and be able to get a shot about 10 yards. What fun.

Very nicely done!

Nothing more fun than watching a kid kill small game. They are more excited than grown ups are killing large game. They win.

What I noticed from eating a lot of guineas over the years is that two techniques weren't used that would have made them a lot more tender: 1.) A cleaver should cut the nobs off the drumsticks. All the tendons would detach and could be pulled out, making tender leg meat. 2.) Guinea browned and then braised would probably be exquisite, particularly tender and flavorful. I've only had it on the brai piri piri style and the old birds were mighty tough, but the poults were fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thetrooper

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg