Greetings from a Canadian Gunsmith!

Welcome to AH !

I always wanted a Ruger No 1 in .458 Lott... .458 Win Mag would do, though...
Mine is a 375, recoil is stiff but manageable. A Lott will loosen your teeth for sure. Rather finish the Martini!

Mine is a 375, recoil is stiff but manageable. A Lott will loosen your teeth for sure. Rather finish the Martini!
Luckily, I'm a pretty big guy(6'3" Stocky Highlander...) I handle Recoil better than most... I've always loved Big Bores... I'd love to own a H&H Double Rifle in .577 Nitro Express, some day... It'll be a long time before I can afford one, though...

Luckily, I'm a pretty big guy(6'3" Stocky Highlander...) I handle Recoil better than most... I've always loved Big Bores... I'd love to own a H&H Double Rifle in .577 Nitro Express, some day... It'll be a long time before I can afford one, though...
DG, what do you feel about an ordinary box lock on powerful doubles? I have had problems with an action opening on firing and since heard of lots of other cases of this. Hence my next double will have a Greener bolt, a Heym in fact. Rigby probably had this problem, hence the development of the rising bite, and I think Westley Richards adopted the doll's head.

Welcome to AH!

DG, what do you feel about an ordinary box lock on powerful doubles? I have had problems with an action opening on firing and since heard of lots of other cases of this. Hence my next double will have a Greener bolt, a Heym in fact. Rigby probably had this problem, hence the development of the rising bite, and I think Westley Richards adopted the doll's head.
Hold that thought... On my way out the door... I'll answer you on that, when I get back... Very good Question, Mate... I look forward to addressing it...

DG Gunsmith, welcome to the AH forum! Looking forward to seeing the results of your project!

Aye, I was born in SE Ontario... But, my Father is a Bluenoser & Ma is a Herring Choker...
Well then you'll understand the NB phrase; 'tits up and headed for Digby"!

The first time I heard it was when we lost a diver at the Port of Saint John. Went too far outside the slack tide window and all they pulled up was a frayed cable. Next stop Digby!

Welcome to AH!

Sorry for the late reply... It is my personal opinion, that a Double in a DG Caliber should have at least 3 points o' Contact in it's locking Mechanism... The Greener is one o' the very best that there is, for this very reason... The Jones Under-Lever is another, especially in conjunction with a Dolls head... Having repaired many Box-Lock Shotguns over the years, I can tell you that they all shoot loose, eventually... I've never encountered a Greener that shot loose... I reckon that this speaks for itself... I'm including a link to an article, that explains this far better than I could... It's a very informative read... It also includes a picture o' one o' J.A. Hunter's personal Doubles(My childhood hero)... Once again, my apologies for the late reply, I've been dreadfully busy... Always a pleasure... I'm always up for talking shop, feel free to message me anytime... https://www.riflemagazine.com/double-gun-bolting-systems

Sorry for the late reply... It is my personal opinion, that a Double in a DG Caliber should have at least 3 points o' Contact in it's locking Mechanism... The Greener is one o' the very best that there is, for this very reason... The Jones Under-Lever is another, especially in conjunction with a Dolls head... Having repaired many Box-Lock Shotguns over the years, I can tell you that they all shoot loose, eventually... I've never encountered a Greener that shot loose... I reckon that this speaks for itself... I'm including a link to an article, that explains this far better than I could... It's a very informative read... It also includes a picture o' one o' J.A. Hunter's personal Doubles(My childhood hero)... Once again, my apologies for the late reply, I've been dreadfully busy... Always a pleasure... I'm always up for talking shop, feel free to message me anytime... https://www.riflemagazine.com/double-gun-bolting-systems
Thank you DG, an informative read. I too am convinced that the Greener bolt is the way to go.

Thank you DG, an informative read. I too am convinced that the Greener bolt is the way to go.
Aye, Heym makes some truly beautiful Rifles... I wouldn't mind an 89B in .577 NE, some day... But, they aren't cheap... Although, as far as Double Rifles go, they are very reasonably priced... I've heard nothing but good things about them

Welcome, it I’ll be interesting to follow your build progress.

I am fascinated by DG but may never get to hunting it due to cost. Things might change but priorities lie elsewhere for now.

I do have a CZ550 in .375H&H as a safari rifle in my collection just in case and it’s fun to shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg