Good Gun Deals This Week

FYI ~ Midway USA has the Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44 V-Plex scope almost 50% off. I think it's $219. The scope does weigh 18 ounces (advertised as 16.5) so it is a bit on the heavy side for some folks.

I can't get onto the website to provide the link (work computer)

Ok - here's an interesting rifle, and if I wasn't so constricted by the UK's highly restrictive firearms laws, I'd display a bit more interest in it. There was someone recently looking for a 450/ 400 - the current belle de jour - but here is a Jeffrey double rifle in .450 No. 2.

Ian Nyschens, in Months of the Sun, had a double rifle in this calibre made by Rigby. He describes it thus (p.52): It was a handy stopper. The big brass cases were 3 1/2 inches long with low chamber pressures and, when one considers how all heavy-calibre rifles pound one's shoulders, this rifle for comfort and effect was the best for me. He subsequently lost it in a boating accident (p.221).

Pierre van der Walt, in African Dangerous Game Cartridges, says: One of the great elephant hunters of our time, the late Ian Nyschens, always insisted to me that the .450 No. 2 was the best .458" calibre nitro express cartridge. I am inclined to agree. (p.321)

Actually, with the bullet added to the end of the cartridge, the whole affair comes in at 4.3". I believe that I am right in saying that this is the longest length of any big game cartridge, which is handy for Germans, who like boasting about such things - Ja, I haf der grosser cartridge! - and Frenchmen, who are deficient in the willy department. The rest of us can just pose with these monstrous cartridges like Stewart Grainger and bask in the admiration of our womenfolk. If we are lucky, we can bask in the admiration of other people's womenfolk as well.

You will see that the engraving looks like it has been done by someone with cataracts and who was using their feet instead of their hands, and the rifle has seen better days. It looks like the vendor has made an effort to polish up the woodwork, and much of the blacking has worn away. On the other hand the screws are all timed and look not to be stripped or scuffed. It comes with its original case. One needs to get a proper condition report before going much further - the condition of the bores and the tightness of the action are important - but it looks an interesting option to me at an estimate of £3 - 5,000, plus Mr. Holt's outrageous and larcenous 30% commission.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...sp?salelot=A0322+++1257+&refno=178387&image=0

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 7.07.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 7.07.58 PM.png
    900 KB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 7.08.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 7.08.00 PM.png
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 7.08.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 7.08.02 PM.png
    540.3 KB · Views: 107
Ok - here's an interesting rifle, and if I wasn't so constricted by the UK's highly restrictive firearms laws, I'd display a bit more interest in it. There was someone recently looking for a 450/ 400 - the current belle de jour - but here is a Jeffrey double rifle in .450 No. 2.

Ian Nyschens, in Months of the Sun, had a double rifle in this calibre made by Rigby. He describes it thus (p.52): It was a handy stopper. The big brass cases were 3 1/2 inches long with low chamber pressures and, when one considers how all heavy-calibre rifles pound one's shoulders, this rifle for comfort and effect was the best for me. He subsequently lost it in a boating accident (p.221).

Pierre van der Walt, in African Dangerous Game Cartridges, says: One of the great elephant hunters of our time, the late Ian Nyschens, always insisted to me that the .450 No. 2 was the best .458" calibre nitro express cartridge. I am inclined to agree. (p.321)

Actually, with the bullet added to the end of the cartridge, the whole affair comes in at 4.3". I believe that I am right in saying that this is the longest length of any big game cartridge, which is handy for Germans, who like boasting about such things - Ja, I haf der grosser cartridge! - and Frenchmen, who are deficient in the willy department. The rest of us can just pose with these monstrous cartridges like Stewart Grainger and bask in the admiration of our womenfolk. If we are lucky, we can bask in the admiration of other people's womenfolk as well.

You will see that the engraving looks like it has been done by someone with cataracts and who was using their feet instead of their hands, and the rifle has seen better days. It looks like the vendor has made an effort to polish up the woodwork, and much of the blacking has worn away. On the other hand the screws are all timed and look not to be stripped or scuffed. It comes with its original case. One needs to get a proper condition report before going much further - the condition of the bores and the tightness of the action are important - but it looks an interesting option to me at an estimate of £3 - 5,000, plus Mr. Holt's outrageous and larcenous 30% commission.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...sp?salelot=A0322+++1257+&refno=178387&image=0
I personally like that style of engraving! On vintage rifles anyway

this is the longest length of any big game cartridge, which is handy for Germans, who like boasting about such things - Ja, I haf der grosser cartridge! - and Frenchmen, who are deficient in the willy department. The rest of us can just pose with these monstrous cartridges like Stewart Grainger and bask in the admiration of our womenfolk. If we are lucky, we can bask in the admiration of other people's womenfolk as well.
This made me laugh! Thanks!
Btw, what do you think about the Fraser in .303 ?

Well, there's no great mystery - the barrels must be checked for pitting and throat erosion. Holts have such a huge throughput of weapons that they know what they are doing and able to provide a realistic valuation; one can rely on them be competent. Oddly enough, the only time that I know of when they did mess up was when they misidentified a rifle to Cyril Adams as (from memory) being a 577 when it was, in fact, a 577/450. He did not mind, but he had, of course, a perfect right to return the rifle and get his money back.

I am not sure that I have much more to say about their double-barrelled Fraser .303. The previous owner seems to have spent a small fortune re-barrelling and re-stocking it. It is worth checking who did the re-barrelling. It's an ejector, which adds to the desirability. If you are in the market for a double-barrelled .303, I should take a closer look. The rifle has depreciated to such an extent that, other than the disgraceful commission, it will retain its value and you won't lose money on it. I doubt that many people in the UK have a use for such a rifle, and it is just possible that you might be able to pick it up at its reserve price. For use on driven boar/ mouflon?

I was going to post this last night (when the top bid was still three digits), but I forgot. And really, there's a lot of time left on the auction, so who knows where this one will end up.

1955 Winchester Model 70 Super Grade - 300 H&H

Classic rifle in a classic caliber. Figured some here would be interested. Curious to see where the price will be in 13 days; probably won't be much of a deal when the dust settles. But perhaps those who are much more knowledgeable on this forum would have some insight.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.35.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.35.40 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.35.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.35.43 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.35.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.35.46 AM.png
    608.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.35.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 8.35.48 AM.png
    923.1 KB · Views: 77
Can’t wait for your rifle report, @krish. I suspect there may be more hidden improvements to the zkk rifle you bought than what was seen or advertised. Once somebody goes through the trouble to put a Winchester style 3-pos safety on a ZKK there is no telling what other things they did that could have cost thousands. Glass bed? Recoil reducer? Polished rails and raceways? Pillar bed?

You got a great rifle, we just haven’t played the bonus round yet.
Brought the rifle home. It is glass bedded. Has 2 cross bolts. No pillers. Looks decent. No scratches on the action or barrel. Wood has little imperfections. Cant tell how it shoots till weather warms up. Triger is little different than CZ. THE TIGER actuator is attached to the bottom metal and the assembly is with the action.
16457133637012549370422123252137.jpg
16457134551183212758457468692217.jpg

Krish

Last edited:
I stumbled on this “good gun deal” this week. It’s been for sale for awhile as I remember seeing it once before but didn’t appreciate the deal at that time. I think you might get them to come down on the price.

It’s a top of the line Dakota African in 458 Lott. The African model has several desirable features. Mercury recoil reducer in forend. Dual crossbolts. Ebony forend tip. Quarter rib.

You might ask, what the heck is such a great deal about a like-new Dakota African for $8250? Well, lets say you get it for $7500. It has easily a $1500 Swaro DG scope on it, and it has $1000 EAW Pivot mounts installed. So the gun is really as-new for $5000 when you think about the fact you’re getting optics and mounts with it and they are the very best of their kind.

Wait, it gets better. Most Dakotas are 13-5/8” Length of Pull which is abysmally short in this day and age. This custom rifle is a full 15” LOP!!!!

Yep, I think its a great deal. Probably the best deal going on a large bore dakota right now.

Retailed by Griffin & Howe

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.30.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.30.38 PM.png
    957.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.30.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.30.40 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
I stumbled on this “good gun deal” this week. It’s been for sale for awhile as I remember seeing it once before but didn’t appreciate the deal at that time. I think you might get them to come down on the price.

It’s a top of the line Dakota African in 458 Lott. The African model has several desirable features. Mercury recoil reducer in forend. Dual crossbolts. Ebony forend tip. Quarter rib.

You might ask, what the heck is such a great deal about a like-new Dakota African for $8250? Well, lets say you get it for $7500. It has easily a $1500 Swaro DG scope on it, and it has $1000 EAW Pivot mounts installed. So the gun is really as-new for $5000 when you think about the fact you’re getting optics and mounts with it and they are the very best of their kind.

Wait, it gets better. Most Dakotas are 13-5/8” Length of Pull which is abysmally short in this day and age. This custom rifle is a full 15” LOP!!!!

Yep, I think its a great deal. Probably the best deal going on a large bore dakota right now.

Retailed by Griffin & Howe

What’s the odds these days of @krish buying that gun? I’ll put $20 on him within 48 hours at 2:1 odds. :)

I was going to post this last night (when the top bid was still three digits), but I forgot. And really, there's a lot of time left on the auction, so who knows where this one will end up.

1955 Winchester Model 70 Super Grade - 300 H&H

Classic rifle in a classic caliber. Figured some here would be interested. Curious to see where the price will be in 13 days; probably won't be much of a deal when the dust settles. But perhaps those who are much more knowledgeable on this forum would have some insight.

Following up on this rifle: As expected, things escalated. There's one hour left in the auction and it's up to $3,500+. It stayed at $1,800 for about a week before a flurry of bids in the last two days. Where will it end up at? $4K? $5K? With how the last 15 mins on Gunbroker, nothing ever surprises me.

Still time for someone to step in and scoop it up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.24.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.24.11 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.24.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.24.12 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.24.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.24.14 PM.png
    610.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.24.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.24.16 PM.png
    821.3 KB · Views: 67
There is a very nice Browning Safari grade 458WM listed on GI right now for $1599. Its a 1965 gun so no salt wood issues and a true long extractor CRF Belgian FN mauser. These are truly well made, double cross bolted and double recoil lugged as well. Appears to be in nice shape with nice wood as well.

There is a very nice Browning Safari grade 458WM listed on GI right now for $1599. Its a 1965 gun so no salt wood issues and a true long extractor CRF Belgian FN mauser. These are truly well made, double cross bolted and double recoil lugged as well. Appears to be in nice shape with nice wood as well.

Not so expensive nor collectible that it would be a travesty to bore it out to 458 Lott either.

Save your $20.00
Just bought a ASqure 470 capstick. Thought that is the last but picked up couple off Ruger #1 458 Lotts. That is it for the rest of th he year.

@krish is it safe to say you own like 50+ big bore rifles? Or are you a ceaseless trader?

Save your $20.00
Just bought a ASqure 470 capstick. Thought that is the last but picked up couple off Ruger #1 458 Lotts. That is it for the rest of th he year.

Everyone screenshot @krish ‘s post above. Whats the over/under on when he breaks his pledge and falls back off the no-rifle-purchase wagon again? :)

@krish is it safe to say you own like 50+ big bore rifles? Or are you a ceaseless trader?

I swear we’ve all watched him buy at least 5 on AH in the past 90 days. I want to pay admission to play with his Gun collection.

Save your $20.00
Sounds like something I’d tell my wife!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross