Good Gun Deals This Week

They’ve had that for quite a while. It would be interesting to see what the experts say about it. It is the 3 1/4” version so that’s probably the main reason it’s been sitting there. Looks kinda rough too
If I ever get a double rifle I want it to be a .450/400 3 1/4” nitro express. Preferably a hammer gun but it doesn’t have to be.

A guerini or beretta is a modern "through bolted" gun with a hollow void in the stock. Their stocks can be purchased for $600-$1200 and are 98% inletted. 4 hours of shop time to use lantern soot to do final inletting is all that is required. Same for a CZ rifle, I've actually done final fitting for one in the bush with primitive tools by lantern light over the course of a few hours. These are mass produced stocks and mass produced guns.

If it is a hand built gun, for example a vintage 98 mauser sporting rifle, or a garden variety $2000 vintage british 12 bore boxlock shotgun, that was all hand fitting. They are slight in design, using the best possible materials, reliant on good wood integrity for their useful life. If one of those breaks at the wrist or head, a repair is unlikely to be salvagable. Particularly if the stock splinters and you have a hand full of small fragments. Sure it can be glued/pinned/epoxied, then checkering recut to conceal the sh&t-show, then refinished, and pawned off on 95% of buyers, but it won't likely hold.

Why do gun sellers try to convince people that such repairs as above are "Good as new, heck better than ever!" you might ask? Because its a $2000 ruined gun that needs a $5000 new stock. Thus, the gun is worth negative $3000 plus negative $500-$800 for having been restocked. ($2000 original value minus $5000 new stock minus $800 depreciation for being restocked = negative -$3800 loss to the owner)

There is one particular seller on GI and GB located in Kansas that has 100+ guns for sale at a given time. Nearly 100% of the advertised guns have such latent defects and he earns his livelihood acquiring zero-value guns, tarting them up with unstable repairs, and selling them to the masses for 10% under the value they should be if never damaged.
Wow! Sounds scary for the average buyer looking for a decent custom rifle at a fair price but yet doesn't know about JUST the things you've described in this post and potentially many other issues with buying an EXPENSIVE used rifle. I could see where someone without your expertise and knowledge could really get burned with some of these guns? Guess I'll stick with factory firearms with maybe some customized mods to them because I don't know what I don't know when it comes to perusing through used guns.

Wow! Sounds scary for the average buyer looking for a decent custom rifle at a fair price but yet doesn't know about JUST the things you've described in this post and potentially many other issues with buying an EXPENSIVE used rifle. I could see where someone without your expertise and knowledge could really get burned with some of these guns? Guess I'll stick with factory firearms with maybe some customized mods to them because I don't know what I don't know when it comes to perusing through used guns.

Exactly my thoughts. I have been saved many times from getting burned buying a turd, by asking for and receiving expert advice from AH members.

Your theory is to avoid custom rifles to not get burned, but your conclusion is to only buy firearms where you’ll 100% get burned?

Production firearms generally go to zero value over time. Most are pretty junkie from the start. There have been many custom guns sold on this forum for $1000 that would have $6000 replacement costs. There have been $4000 used guns on this forum that have $60,000 replacement costs if ordered bespoke new.

A new production gun is 30% marketing costs and 20% product liability, 30% distribution and retail margin. The actual gun’s raw materials and labor (plus profit) are the remaining 20%. Thus, the quality and value of a new production gun running $1500 is about $300. Compare that to a $300 custom Mauser sporter, they aren’t even in the same league.

Production firearms generally go to zero value over time.

I find the key to production guns is to simply never buy new… let someone else take the depreciation…

As long as the firearm has been well cared for… a 15 year old Winchester 70 will perform just like a brand new one…

Find someone that has something that they just want to be rid of and are willing to let go for a reasonable price… and buy it from an individual… not from a retailer..

I got my win 70 stainless classic 375 H&H for $650… a guy bought it expecting to move to Alaska… shot 10 rounds through it.. never scoped it.. and never moved to AK… it sat in his safe for a decade..

He was happy to move it for a little more than 50% of what I could easily sell the rifle for now..

You’ll never make big money on production guns… but you don’t have to set yourself up for losses either… and can have a safe full of functioning, fully capable firearms, for a fraction of the new/retail cost… leaving more $ in your wallet to invest in whatever it is you please (whether it’s fine custom guns, your 401k, real estate, etc…)…

Attachments

• Belgium Browning High Power Safari bolt action rifle in .458 for sale.pdf
    298.8 KB · Views: 8
Ruger RSM in 375 H&H for $2395

This looks like a crazy good deal!!! You could not buy the parts for this price and being a Pre-64 it’s just crazy! My nephew was in there today holding this rifle and the salesman told him that they would take $5,000 for it!
Any negotiations and specifics on the rifle would need to be found out on your end but looks like an absolute steal!!!

Attachments

• Inventory | William Larkin Moore.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
I have seen those before, they are quite common actually. Called a Schuetzen rifle. They are target rifles for a style of shooting where you are standing up, no support. That explains the amount of drop on the stock and the metal work that allows to grip the shoulder for maximum stability.

Although this is a nice example, much more embellished than usually, they do not often go for a lot of money. They are only good for their single purpose for which they were built, an activity that no longer exists, or as a wall hanger.

Here is another one:

Actually, that activity still lives in the Texas Hill Country. Two big clubs, New Braunfels and Boerne.

Image1712973188.054778.jpg

I have the Howa in the .375 Ruger. Mine is fairly light weight and thus has a significant recoil. Mine is probably 1 1/2 inch gun with 300 gr Swifts in it. I took a couple of buffalo with it and it functioned well.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!