huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
My wife and I made our first trip to Africa this April. After we left we said we would go back in 2020 this time taking our kids with us. This summer we got the idea to go back to Arkansas for a week or so in July kn 2019 so we can get our ski boat out and spend time with family. So when we started looking at plane tickets we realized we coul almost fly back to Africa for the same cost. (Got to love living in Alaska) So I called my good friend who is a PH and has his outfitters license @Boela (my kids call him uncle boela) and started talking about moving my hunt up a year but bring my 2 kids along and making this tip not all hunting is a must. So we are thinking hunting for 4 days maybe 5 at the max then 3 or 4 days relaxing.

So after discussing it we decided April time fram next year we will go! It will be me my wife my 7 year old daughter and my 6 year old son. They will both try to get an impala or blesbuck. Then my son said he wants a warthog and I am thinking springbuck for my daughter or a impala or blesbuck so she can have both. I will be going for waterbuck with red heartebeast and bushbuck on the radar my wife wants a steenbuck or duiker and a warthog. I am thinking about surprising her with another animal but we will see since we only want to hunt for 4 days.

Now am I crazy for taking my kids? They have been on multiple hunts (both on our recent caribou hunt) there is a thread on it in the usa report section. My son was on my moose hunting trip last year and my daughter used to go deer hunting with me when k was stationed in Missouri. They will be shooting either a .222 or a .243 mayb a .250 so the options are there on smaller calibers. Although I will have to help hold the gun since they are full length stocks.

Good idea, your kids are going to really enjoy it.

Now am I crazy for taking my kids?

No you are not crazy! As Marina Lamprecht of Hunters Namibia Safaria is fond of saying, "Take your kids hunting and you'll never have to go hunting for your kids."

Great idea. Try to get the kids shooting off sticks. That way they won't have to support the entire weight of the rifle.

I took my kids this past April, they did just fine, my 14 yo daughter shot a blesbuck, my ten year old boys each shot warthog and either impala or blesbuck and my 5 year old shot a blesbuck. Weekly I get asked when are we going back, no more talk about Disneyland it’s all about getting back to Africa. You won’t regret taking them.

I took my kids this past April, they did just fine, my 14 yo daughter shot a blesbuck, my ten year old boys each shot warthog and either impala or blesbuck and my 5 year old shot a blesbuck. Weekly I get asked when are we going back, no more talk about Disneyland it’s all about getting back to Africa. You won’t regret taking them.

The only thing that worries me is their age. Will they remember it is the question I keep asking myself. That and will they be able to endure the flight over there and long days. I think the excitement from the animals will help them with the long days as long as we are not walking miles upon miles.

I'm thinking "uncle Boela" will go out oh his way to make sure the kids have both a successful and memorable hunt. The bigger the impression and or impact the hunt has on them, the more likely they'll remember it. Of course lots of photos will help keep things fresh in their minds.

I'm thinking "uncle Boela" will go out oh his way to make sure the kids have both a successful and memorable hunt. The bigger the impression and or impact the hunt has on them, the more likely they'll remember it. Of course lots of photos will help keep things fresh in their minds.

There will be lots of pictures. Besides I am debating getting them a shoulder mount. It will be their first "big game" animal. I just hope I dont plant to big of a bug because then my hunting days will be over. lol

Not even a question.
Take them.
Enjoy them enjoying Africa.
You will not regret it. It will be an adventure few kids get to experience and your position will be elevated from 'Dad' to 'Awesome Dad'.

take them--no regrets...
took four with me last summer to RSA---they still talk about the next time they get to go back...

The only thing that worries me is their age. Will they remember it is the question I keep asking myself. That and will they be able to endure the flight over there and long days. I think the excitement from the animals will help them with the long days as long as we are not walking miles upon miles.
I am 65 yrs old and still remember my first hunt at age 6 with my Dad!
GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!

I am also looking forward to seeing you again @huntinlabs. My own son will be a little older by then, so I will ensure that all the kids have a tromendous time together :A Childish:. The plan is to hunt for a few days and then head to Southern Mozambique to enjoy a few days of fun on the beach. We will definitely be visiting Fernando's for some R&R's......:A Surrender:

As for now, lets keep on dreaming, planning and incorporate all the advice given by our fellow AH members....!:A Thumbs Up:

You will have a blast again!

You will all cherish the memories you get for the rest of your lives!

I am also looking forward to seeing you again @huntinlabs. My own son will be a little older by then, so I will ensure that all the kids have a tromendous time together :A Childish:. The plan is to hunt for a few days and then head to Southern Mozambique to enjoy a few days of fun on the beach. We will definitely be visiting Fernando's for some R&R's......:A Surrender:

As for now, lets keep on dreaming, planning and incorporate all the advice given by our fellow AH members....!:A Thumbs Up:

I have no doubt that we will have a blast and you will show us a great time as always!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg