Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 33 US states and counting
We know how important your feet are to hunting. I’ve had good results from Kennetrek, Lowa, Courtenay, Russels, etc. I recently got something new to me and wanted to share a bit. While my Russells are still in good shape after 15 years of use (amazing) I was looking for something a little lighter for tracking hunts in Africa. I need some ankle support but wanted lightweight and QUIET.

I found Go Ruck boots and specifically the MACV-1 boots. One of the designers was the guy who helped invent the old Reebok pump athletic shoes. He joined up with some military veterans and they created a very different kind of boot for ruck style exercise and endurance events. It has ankle support but not from heavy material. I was kind of skeptical as the ankles are floppy until you put your foot into it. Then it locks right up when you tighten the laces. The laces are a whole other subject but they work differently too. The boot is comfortable right out of the box and we know how rare that is. The soles are quiet and supportive. Also they feel really light and weigh about 1 pound each. That’s 1/2 the weight of most boots. Best of all, they are just over $100. Sizing was true for me on a 10 1/2.

I just wanted to share an alternative for good boots for what we use them for. Check them out online. I have no connection to the company. Just a happy customer.

They look like nice safari boots. How soft is the rubber in the soles? On my Cameroon hunt I had blades of burnt grass go through my merrell boots and they flexed a lot with the heat causing blisters from being too soft. I was going to buy Courtney but can’t bring myself to spend the money.

I would say the rubber density is medium. It’s not a crepe sole and it’s not car tire density or typical hiking boot density. That was also my biggest question but I feel they are a good compromise.

I love my pair! Light, supportive, but enough toughness to offer protection. Had them about a year now and they are wearing well. They’ll take me to South Africa this June.I‘ll let you knowhow they perform.

I use the MACV-1 for just as you described - a light boot for tracking hunts over generally flat ground. IMHO they have excellent ankle support and a wide toe box. They are very quiet once you've learned to avoid the twigs :) They are not however, the light boot to wear for regular hunting in rocky hills. For that you need more of a lug sole boot than what the MACV-1 offers.

They are not designed for sole replacement once the tread gives out. I get about 900 miles out of a pair of MACV-1. Since I'm putting in about 1,100 miles a year either hunting or preparing to hunt I always have 3 pairs in hand - a worn out pair I just wear around the shack, the current pair for putting in the daily miles, and the newest pair (my going to town pair) waiting it's turn.

Inside the boots I'm wearing thick cotton socks and over those a pair of Darn Tough (DT) thin Merlino wool socks. I have a couple pairs of DT socks with more than 3,000 miles on them and they're still going strong. No complaints :)

My current pair of boots will be with me along with my DTs on my next Buf hunt in a few weeks. By then the boots will have a little over 400 miles on them.

Last edited:
That makes sense. I wouldn’t personally want to use the Rucks for steep rocky hunts. Nice to hear from some long time users. Sounds like I’m on the right track.

Yup, you are.

Sometime back, once Go Ruck figured out just what the heck I was doing with their boots, they sent me a pair and said they had changed the composition of the boot sole and would I please wear them out and let them know how it went.

That's why I now get 900 miles out of the boot, and the lacing has improved. I imagine coming up with a balance between lightweight, quiet, and a reasonable number of miles at an affordable price is not an easy thing to do.

The only thing I don’t like about mine so far is the color (desert khaki-ish). I wanted a darker pair but not black…more brown or olive colored.

Yup. Got both. The desert and the dark brown with black "canvas".

If you use the Danner clear leather treatment on your boots then they'll darken right up nicely.

Ok thanks. I will try that. I see a lot of their sizes are low in stock and they are having a sale.

These boots sound very intriguing!! I have a pair of Crispi Colorado boots and I love them! I hunt in rocky and soft terrain here in SW Arizona and they offer great ankle support! I only had to replace the insoles.

They're a 6" boot and very comfortable once you put a good insole in them. I can wear them all day hunting with no issues

Screenshot_20230305_141233_Photos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use the Danner clear leather treatment on your boots then they'll darken right up nicely.
I’m not finding that online. Is there a different name for it? I have some cans of Huberd’s but that might not work. These boots are suede type material.

Ahh..I see. You have the suede "rough out" leather type. Mine are the smooth leather.
This is what I use:

1678052983856.png

You might check the Danner site and see if they have something for suede leather...

They're a 6" boot and very comfortable once you put a good insole in them. I can wear them all day hunting with no issues

Is that a rubber rand around the bottom?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 8.30.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 8.30.15 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 8.30.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 8.30.17 AM.png
    622 KB · Views: 46
Yup. Got both. The desert and the dark brown with black "canvas".
Have you tried any other of their styles like the Jedburgh? I wondered how they compared to the MACV-1?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TobyYjd041

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.