Giraffe taxidermy and alternatives

kal

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Safari Club International, National Archery in the Schools Program, Chillakoot Bowhunters
Hunted
USA and Canada
I am looking at adding a giraffe to the target list on my upcoming hunt. I'm bowhunting cape buff so seems like a perfect time to do it. I love the look of a giraffe shoulder mount but not thinking it would fit my current home. What are the alternatives to a shoulder mount for a giraffe? If you want to share your mount pictures that's great too lol.

I dont have one, but maybe just a neck mount instead of full shoulder, or should based on the floor instead of wall?

ORG_GiraffeClip_l.jpeg
Giraffe_Taxidermy_Mount_1024x1024__compressed_2000x.jpg

Was kinda thinking about having the skull, and back skin for display. Then tanning the cape for a shoulder mount and waiting till I have a bigger room. I know your can get a good amount of time on a properly stored and tanned hide. Not sure what the clearance would need to be. thinking at least 10' for a floor mount.

I did mine with a turned neck that will be around a tree when I make the base. It is 8' 6" with the bracket that will mount to base. So 10 ft ceiling would work with taller being even better. Mine is the top picture and my goal is the bottom picture when done
Giraffe2.jpg
57-Giraffe-662x1024.jpg

I did mine as a floor mount, however I told my taxidermist the height of the room he was going into and he shaved the base a bit to ensure he fit as he stands floor to ceiling in the room.
gcksKXe.jpg

Attachments

• gcksKXe.jpg
    gcksKXe.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 294
Taxidermist said this was 10’-6”.

84271601-921C-4710-9914-94536EFB113C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great mounts everyone, I do enjoy the floor mounts. Keep the ideas coming.

We're planning on hunting giraffe in June and face similar space issues.

I think we're going to have the skull bronzed, get a couple of rifle bags made, probably a bench or chaise upholstered, shin bone carved with a big 5 scene, and maybe something else depending on what we have left over after all that.

Anyone wall mount one? Id really like to do this over a set of stairs and have it come more eye level on second level.

This mount is dead on eight feet. Your taxidermist can shorten a mount to fit your rooms. This guy is now in my basement man cave that has nine foot ceilings so it fits nicely but would also fit in 8’ ceilings but just barely

65730711-DB37-4EF8-97A4-73C2E4E3378C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an interesting way to get the hight of a giraffe mount down lower;)

Jerome deserves credit for posting the pic on this site.
thumb_IMG_1552_1024.jpg

I am looking at adding a giraffe to the target list on my upcoming hunt. I'm bowhunting cape buff so seems like a perfect time to do it. I love the look of a giraffe shoulder mount but not thinking it would fit my current home. What are the alternatives to a shoulder mount for a giraffe? If you want to share your mount pictures that's great too lol.
I saw a nice head mount in Namibia at a place we were hunting. It was really amazing. The head of a mature bull is huge!
Philip

Then again, if you have high ceilings. :) I saw this one up close. Looked like an erector set inside.

giraffe_full.jpg

Carved shin bone examples:
Bone carvings (4)(1).jpg
Bone carvings (5)(1).jpg
Bone carvings (1)(1).jpg

Anyone have a photo of a giraffe Euro mount?

Anyone have a photo of a giraffe Euro mount?
Not a Euro mount and honestly I do not recall have ever seen a Giraffe Euro mount.

Here is the skull of a big bull.

full

full

full

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg