Reaction score
Member of
Sci
Hunted
US
Was wanting some info on where to have it done and a price

head laid flat not mounted

I can’t even find a place that will tan one in the US

I can do it, no sweat. PM me and I’ll get some info on specifics and a price quote to you.

Most of these are head in rugs. I was looking for some of my pics of leather binded edges as well. Anyway, we can do head in, head out, two layer felt with or without ruffled edges, leather binded, full leather backed and binded and all in a ton of different colors. They all have wall hangers sewn in on the opposite side. There is a lot more options in rugs than some realize. We’ve done all kinds of different stuff including a 21 ft reticulated python (one thing I am not really looking forward to do again) giraffe shouldnt be that big of a deal, it’s just going to be a big ass rug.
2007F727-4594-4A56-8F1B-766A30D08A5B.jpeg
CDA00C14-7C6B-4383-A37E-4C90FA264201.jpeg
8B5844D6-79CF-4DB0-968F-43875829DF5C.jpeg
FE5FFEF9-890E-4487-8364-D2F547E8CDB4.jpeg
87747A7F-098F-4D87-A152-71D75CCA656D.jpeg
2007F727-4594-4A56-8F1B-766A30D08A5B.jpeg
CDA00C14-7C6B-4383-A37E-4C90FA264201.jpeg
8B5844D6-79CF-4DB0-968F-43875829DF5C.jpeg
FE5FFEF9-890E-4487-8364-D2F547E8CDB4.jpeg

Lots of places in the US that will tan one- price.... now that's another story.

Remember the cost of getting it shipped to the US as well, that is a big, heavy hide. But someday I’m going to do it, I have the perfect place to put one!

@gizmo that Zebra rug looks awesome

Oh yeah, then name one...you might even help the OP...
I can and will but unless you are a registered taxidermy business, most are not going to deal with a walk in customer. My point was is that lots of places in the US that will do it. I'm not sure why the OP believed there aren't. Any taxidermist with an account can get them tanned.
I use Quality Fur Dressing in Houston for most of my African stuff. They currently list a giraffe cape $2,060, lifesize $6,500 and and full hide at $41 sq ft. Again, those are wholesale prices and not available to the "public" per se. I'm sure The Wildlife Gallery does them as well as any larger tanning operation such as Moyle Mink, YOST, Centralia and others . The backyard guy probably isn't going to tan one :LOL:

More info might be helpful. Does OP have the salted cape in his possession already in the US? Is this a future hunt and just gauging things? Is a salted hide waiting in Africa to be sent back? Although I firmly believe there are better tanning options in the US, this might be one of the very few exceptions that I'd recommend trying to find a reputable tannery in the country or origin to have it tanned before sending it back if that's an option.

Back in 2005 I shot a giraffe in SA and did a full rug with head pressed flat. Looks really cooll but it is too big for my log cabin. Maybe if I move south I can use it as it is quite unique.
Cal

@gizmo
Those look great!
If you can just get the head and the neck in on a giraffe flat rug for a little Loch Ness action…that I gotta see. :A Shades:

Not all tanneries are set up to effectively shave and tan a 1" thick giraffe hide. I know, because I selected the wrong one and they wasted (or sold) it! 'Never saw it again. Anna Sivko in Canesteo NY knows how to deal w/ the thick hides!!

@gizmo
Those look great!
If you can just get the head and the neck in on a giraffe flat rug for a little Loch Ness action…that I gotta see. :A Shades:
Shoot me a giraffe and I'll do it for you :ROFLMAO:

PM sent to the OP on my rug. It's too big for my home.
Cal

This raises a question that Gizmo probably can answer. I want a Zebra rug (headed over next month) but dont like the material being visible outside the hide. Is that what you mean by leather backed? Just want to see the skin so looks like you skinned it and tossed it over the back of the couch

This raises a question that Gizmo probably can answer. I want a Zebra rug (headed over next month) but dont like the material being visible outside the hide. Is that what you mean by leather backed? Just want to see the skin so looks like you skinned it and tossed it over the back of the couch
Then you just want a flat tan with maybe the ears sewed down on the face etc. I wouldn't see a need to have a backing added to that to accomplish what you are wanting.

The leather option is likely a leather edge around the perimeter of the hide. It's usually around 1/2"s wide and folded over the edges to clean them up with a stiffer material then applied to the back, usually a thin automotive type carpet or leather as mentioned. This will help the rug lay flat and cover the leather edging where it folds over.

1649446637510.png

Digging the colors on the bobcat @gizmo ... that looks sharp.

I do recommend seeing the ears down etc… makes it look cleaner.

I see a lot of plain jane colors... that gray and maroon rocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!