Ghost Ring sight for small Double Rifle

Hello io mskp,

One of my doubles is a German Stenda Werke in 8x57 cal from about 1913. It has a ghost ring rear site. The site is vertically adjustable via a pivot pin in the site, and windage adjustable via the mounting dovetail. As you can see by the target, it works well with my 65 year old eyes.

stenda2.jpg

stenda3.jpg

stenda4.jpg

stenda5.jpg

stenda6.jpg

stenda96.jpg

stentarg.jpg
What a lovely little rifle. And very nice shooting.

"Doesnt the standing leaf interfere with aiming through the peep?"

Not at all.
When using an aperture rear sight, the eye focuses on the target and front sight.
Since the line of sight is through the V notch in the standing leaf, the leaf is not seen.
Depends on the rear sight. A fine "V" notch can make it almost impossible to quickly acquire the front sight or you will find the eye centers it well above the notch causing the rifle to shoot high.

RedLeg,
Agreed on possible issues on the rear sight.

Fortunately, my express sights were made properly and the rear rib was too. Thus I have the express sights, a low mounted peep sight, and low mounted QD scope.
Given good light and close in game, I prefer the express sights, but have had situations when one of the other sights was needed and did the job.

Visierhilfe.JPG

Visor aid for "elder statesmen" ;) .
The optician has polished a lens, a precision mechanic has set it.
You are clearly faster than with diopter.
IMG_4280.JPG

Have you tried a ghost ring?

the drilling (9,3x72 R ! ) belonged to a friend of mine, as a gunsmith he had (unfortunately passed away ) all possibilities and he did not want to "desecrate" this weapon with aimpoint or other dots.

I have not shot with it, but aim acquisition with it often enough in hands had. No comparison with a diopter. You are much faster with the method.
If you like to shoot open sight, I would recommend @ vette447 from the other thread to think about it.
Would be a sad about the Rigby double if something thick would be on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg