Getting ready for the big hunt

One more suggestion gentlemen.

Try sticks with two legs forward and one leg back and then the other way around. . When I shoot off sticks I press forward slightly, like when prone and shooting with a bi-pod, so two forward and one back to be more stable, for me. So try it both ways and see which is more stable for you.
Got home and tried it out with dry firing. It feels solid but unfamiliar. More practice needed
Thanks

@Pheroze,

I was going to PM you, but I guess you have the feature turned off so I will keep using your boys as a test case. :)

One more thing to look at. Look at the two pictures and tell me who is standing up straight and who isn't. Now, tell me if you hunch over while shooting offhand or not. :)

The sticks being used are too short, or set up too short, for the older son - sticks need to adjust to you and not the other way around, back to stability again.

This is yet another thing I learned at SAAM. I thought I was set up all perfect with sticks I had made, but I had cut them short. The instructor pointed it out and I made new legs before I took them buff hunting.

Ask @gizmo about his son hunching over the same way, and the boy's sister out shooting him when she stood up straight! :A No1:

Pm should work. Hmmmmm I don't think it is turned off. Will definitely raise the sticks.

Only about three months remaining until we fly to Johannesburg and the training continues. Today I had the boys and I shooting the 6.5 from sticks. We were shooting 200 yards to a gong that is 16x18. My oldest shot first and we thought he was missing until the range officer told us he was hitting. There was a lot of mud down range so it didn't clang just sorta thunked :ROFLMAO:View attachment 57550 View attachment 57551

The younger fellow is shooting his bow very well too and getting good groups at 30 yards. He is going to increase the draw weight to 60lbs as he is drawing it no problem now.

The 6.5 was perfect to get us comfortable shooting off the tripod out 200 yards. We were all hitting no problem. Next time out I am going to have them on the '06 and also get me more trigger time with the 375.

The fun really is in the prep!
that is so awesome ya'll are going to do great!

That's great..... I leave in about 6 weeks, and I have not got to prep, except for mentally & physically.... I put in about 15 miles a week on a treadmill, an that's what I think about during the process..... Work & family dominate the rest of my time.
congrats BW I didn't know that. Hey physical prep is every bit as important as mental prep. When the adrenaline hits the better you physical shape is the lower your heart rate will be and better shots you'll make. Good luck!

2 months exactly and I'll be waking up to the waterburg mountains and some serious hiking for reedbuck. we live only about 3.5 hours apart who knows may bump into you some day. Have a great hunt

One more suggestion gentlemen.

Try sticks with two legs forward and one leg back and then the other way around. . When I shoot off sticks I press forward slightly, like when prone and shooting with a bi-pod, so two forward and one back to be more stable, for me. So try it both ways and see which is more stable for you.

my thoughts exactly you have to load the bipod or sticks for stability

The idea of standing more upright is a little odd to me. I am presuming you are not totally upright but just more than Sinclair is in the picture. I get the feeling I will be pushed back on my heels being too upright.

I found if I stand more up right I get less windage MO event then when I'm hunched over. I figured that one out myself.lol

The idea of standing more upright is a little odd to me. I am presuming you are not totally upright but just more than Sinclair is in the picture. I get the feeling I will be pushed back on my heels being too upright.

Yes, exactly. You're right, definitely not standing at attention. Just not hunched over. The younger son looks pretty dang good to me.

You may of course have to lean in a little more with the .375, but not really much I don't think (trying to think if I stand any different with the .375 and I don't think I do. With the Lott I lean forward slightly more, but from the waist and not hunched, foot back a little more).

Practice Practice Practice! Hope you guys have a great hunt!

I've shot the 375 off hand but not on sticks yet. I have this fear of the tripod clattering to the ground with the recoil, drawing unwanted attention to this clown training for Africa :oops::ROFLMAO:.

I was going to do the rest of my practice with the 375 using cheaper interlocks. But, I have decided that I have my hunting load with Woodleigh's so I will just train with that exact load.

I've shot the 375 off hand but not on sticks yet. I have this fear of the tripod clattering to the ground with the recoil, drawing unwanted attention to this clown training for Africa :oops::ROFLMAO:.

I was going to do the rest of my practice with the 375 using cheaper interlocks. But, I have decided that I have my hunting load with Woodleigh's so I will just train with that exact load.

You'll do fine with the .375 on the sticks. No big deal and most guys shooting their little .223 will just think "holy cow, what is that guy shooting???" If you dis knock them over, which I doubt. :A Weights:

I used cheap ammo quite a bit, PRVI actually. It was a little dirtier but very accurate from my rifle.

Always fun to go to the range with the kids. I am thinking about buying a tripod, which one do you have Pheroze?

Always fun to go to the range with the kids. I am thinking about buying a tripod, which one do you have Pheroze?
I bought mine years ago from Cabelas. I actually would prefer the ones that drop out and you don't have to fiddle with them so much. I made a set with three bamboo poles which I really like. I just lashed them together with paracord. Got the instructions from a thread here on AH. Took them moose hunting and they made a great walking stick in the marshy stuff too.

DSC_0086.JPG

Load development completed (y) 375 H&H 270gr Woodleighs over 78gr H4350: 2650 fps and under MOA

I agree with Royal and ALSO LIKE TO PUSH FORWARD INTO THE STICKS.

Preparation continues....we leave on June 22 and Henry of Rifle Permits has confirmed all is in order. I also have my Canadian and Dutch forms in hand :A Banana:However, we are at a low point in the preparation as work has kept me too busy to get to the range. One must remember that for every day one spends on vacation, two days must be alloted to get ahead! :A Bang Head:

But worse news: my youngest son has badly twisted his knee:eek: There is concern that he may have torn a tendon...:( he gets a full checkup tomorrow. But, I have cancelled plans to go turkey hunting this weekend. I am not going to risk more injury to a bad knee trying to get through a field in the pre-dawn dark. He is not a happy camper just now and I am a worried papa!

Hope the sons knee is ok!!!!

As far as not getting to the range. Dry fire practice is great! Do it everyday between now and June. If you have snap caps do reload drills as well.

Hope the sons knee is ok!!!!

Thanks! I sincerely hope so too. He loves hunting and was keen to try and get a turkey with his bow. He can't really walk up and down stairs and the car ride hurts...not good signs. But, if you ask his sister, he just needs to man-up:LOL:

As far as not getting to the range. Dry fire practice is great! Do it everyday between now and June. If you have snap caps do reload drills as well.

Great advice! I have read a lot about dry firing really helping. I have practiced and put AH shot placement pictures on the basement wall. But, recently, I remember that I need to practice just as my head hits the pillow....that reminds me, I should be doing some now!:oops:

Out to the range!!

@nuval.J2711 finally got a chance to practice with his montec broadheads. They seem to be fine but I think he is disturbed by the spread. He is getting nervous I think because we have just over a month until we leave!

I dialled in the hunting load properly to just about 2" high at 100 yards. This should let me shoot flat to 220 yards or thereabouts. Shooting from the sticks went ok and I had about a 6" spread at 200 yards. Going to do lots of dry firing and work on the advice received in this thread!

Now, offhand at 100 yards kinda sucked. No joke. Gotta get lots of practice there and make those groups smaller!

This is getting very exciting in the final countdown to launch. Next review the packing and permethrin everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you