Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Only about three months remaining until we fly to Johannesburg and the training continues. Today I had the boys and I shooting the 6.5 from sticks. We were shooting 200 yards to a gong that is 16x18. My oldest shot first and we thought he was missing until the range officer told us he was hitting. There was a lot of mud down range so it didn't clang just sorta thunked :ROFLMAO:
DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG

The younger fellow is shooting his bow very well too and getting good groups at 30 yards. He is going to increase the draw weight to 60lbs as he is drawing it no problem now.

The 6.5 was perfect to get us comfortable shooting off the tripod out 200 yards. We were all hitting no problem. Next time out I am going to have them on the '06 and also get me more trigger time with the 375.

The fun really is in the prep!

Awesome stuff!!!

Can I make a suggestion to both boys?

Bring that left foot back and make it even with the right, or very close. Stability will be greatly improved. The idea is to form a second tripod with the feet being the two back feet and the rifle on the sticks being the third foot of the tripod.

Keep the practice up!!!

Awesome stuff!!!

Bring that left foot back and make it even with the right, or very close. Stability will be greatly improved. The idea is to form a second tripod with the feet being the two back feet and the rifle on the sticks being the third foot of the tripod.

Keep the practice up!!!

Great advice! Thanks. Any advice is always appreciated. We were standing like we do when we shoot trap, just with the gun in the notch. I understand what you are saying.

Great advice! Thanks. Any advice is always appreciated. We were standing like we do when we shoot trap, just with the gun in the notch. I understand what you are saying.

Gladly!

I did the exact same thing and got the correction by a professional instructor at SAAM. The change will feel weird at first, but like anything else will become second nature.

Great advice, I was wondering if their was a right way and a wrong way to to use shooting sticks

Prep is just another fun step in the Safari.

That's great..... I leave in about 6 weeks, and I have not got to prep, except for mentally & physically.... I put in about 15 miles a week on a treadmill, an that's what I think about during the process..... Work & family dominate the rest of my time.

Great advice, I was wondering if their was a right way and a wrong way to to use shooting sticks

IMO, there are several ways that work, but the fundamentals, like stance, are still the same. The differences to me are little things like how you most comfortably hold the sticks and gun etc.... because that makes you even steadier.

For ezample, look back at the two pictures. The first son uses his offhand to hold the sticks, the second son uses that same hand to hold the rifle. I've seen people do it both ways and as long as it makes you steady who cares? I personally hold the sticks because I find it easier to make minor adjustments that way.

That's great..... I leave in about 6 weeks, and I have not got to prep, except for mentally & physically.... I put in about 15 miles a week on a treadmill, an that's what I think about during the process..... Work & family dominate the rest of my time.

Do ten minutes a day of dry fire practice. Heck, do it when you get off the thread mill and you are still breathing hard. Add a realistic element to it! :)

Reactions: BWH

Endurance work is so important. I injured my self and haven't been able to run is a long time. Hoping to get back at it in the next few weeks. It always surprises me how hard it is to climb up a steep Hill! I think they make hills more difficult than when I was a child!

Yep.... I figure if my mind & heart are sharp, then the trigger falls into place.... I hunt year round to some degree.... Dove, duck, geese, deer, exotics, predetors, etc.

Good luck and have fun on the trip Pheroze

Thanks for sharing. Wish you best of luck on your Safari and please keep everyone updated. Nice to see that you wearing those Courtney's in before the hunt

Thanks guys:)

... Nice to see that you wearing those Courtney's in before the hunt

I just need matching pith helmets ;) Our regular boots were all heavier insulated ones so we have to break the new boots in. Regular hikes are on the agenda too!

Awesome stuff!!!

Keep the practice up!!!
I just went to the range for a lunch hour session, Royal27 I can't believe how much my groups tightened up just changing my foot placement now to remember it when I'm excited.

No wonder I had a hard time hitting my gemsbok last year off of the sticks. I had never heard of doing this but it makes sense. The next time I get to the range I'll have to give it a try.

I just went to the range for a lunch hour session, Royal27 I can't believe how much my groups tightened up just changing my foot placement now to remember it when I'm excited.

It makes a HUGE difference!!! It is all about technique, which leads to stability, which leads to better shooting. :)

And here is how you remember when you're excited. Practice your butt off now!!!! At the range and dry fire at home! Then, when you're excited you won't even think about it. My feet just automatically even up on sticks now. Just like I never think about my breathing when focused on an animal, but I know the gun goes off after I've exhaled die to "muscle memory."

No wonder I had a hard time hitting my gemsbok last year off of the sticks. I had never heard of doing this but it makes sense. The next time I get to the range I'll have to give it a try.

Let us know. Bet you it works!!!

Thanks for the tip @Royal27 , I'll test that out this weekend.

Awesome stuff!!!

Keep the practice up!!!

One more suggestion gentlemen.

Try sticks with two legs forward and one leg back and then the other way around. . When I shoot off sticks I press forward slightly, like when prone and shooting with a bi-pod, so two forward and one back to be more stable, for me. So try it both ways and see which is more stable for you.

Reactions: lcq

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!