Getting broadheads through Amsterdam

From KLM website...wasn't pumping creek water out my ass. Clearly states, not in your HAND BAGGAGE

Prohibited items
Firearms
In your hand baggage,
you may not bring any guns, firearms or other devices that are capable (or appear to be capable) of being used to cause serious injury by discharging a projectile. This includes, but is not limited to:
  • Firearms of all types, such as pistols, revolvers, rifles, and shotguns
  • Toy guns, replicas, and imitation firearms that can be mistaken for real weapons
  • Firearm components (except telescopic viewing equipment and viewfinders)
  • Air pistols, air rifles, pellet guns, and BB guns (ball bearing guns)
  • Signal flare pistols and starting pistols
  • Bows, cross bows and arrows
  • Harpoon guns and spear guns
  • Slingshots and catapults
You may bring firearms and ammunition for shooting and hunting purposes as check-in baggage, but only if you have all the required permits and licenses, under certain strict conditions, and after reserving for transportation.

Didn't say you were, and in any case, I was responding to Brickburn. The "safety" crap we have to deal with...nauseating.

From KLM website...wasn't pumping creek water out my ass. :) Clearly states, not in your HAND BAGGAGE. And again, referring to a short layover, not exiting the airport with the equipment.

Prohibited items
Firearms
In your hand baggage,
you may not bring any guns, firearms or other devices that are capable (or appear to be capable) of being used to cause serious injury by discharging a projectile. This includes, but is not limited to:
  • Toy guns, replicas, and imitation firearms that can be mistaken for real weapons
You may bring firearms and ammunition for shooting and hunting purposes as check-in baggage, but only if you have all the required permits and licenses, under certain strict conditions, and after reserving for transportation.
In the Netherlands, hand baggage doesn’t mean carry-on. It means anything other than commercial air cargo. Ask if there is a permit like there is for rifles and ammo. I flew through Amsterdam in 2017 on my way to Tanzania and only had a short layover inside the airport. I was required to get a permit to do so.

Then that is a messed up country if they can't type up the correct wording and definition. First section clearly states HAND BAGGAGE and down below clearly states CHECK-IN baggage, nothing about cargo. But hey, want to do I know? (n)

Prohibited items

Firearms
In your hand baggage, you may not bring any guns, firearms or other devices that are capable (or appear to be capable) of being used to cause serious injury by discharging a projectile. This includes, but is not limited to:

Then that is a messed up country if they can't type up the correct wording and definition. First section clearly states HAND BAGGAGE and down below clearly states CHECK-IN baggage, nothing about cargo. But hey, want to do I know? (n)

Prohibited items

Firearms
In your hand baggage, you may not bring any guns, firearms or other devices that are capable (or appear to be capable) of being used to cause serious injury by discharging a projectile. This includes, but is not limited to:
I stand corrected but as you see, permits and licenses are still required for checked baggage even for connections. Had to put a copy of Netherlands permit inside my gun case and also a copy heavily taped to the outside. What a country!

Chances are you can avoid going through Amsterdam. If not you can get plenty of good broadheads in South Africa. A quick look online at http://archersedge.co.za/
shows both your preferred Rage broadheads and mine, Slick Trick. Honestly both will work, but Rage is gaining a nasty habit of failures while Slick Trick and others don't. There are other shops too, do a little web searching. Have your outfitter pick up a what's needed or if passing by drop in. Good to go.

I agree on rages having you many failures, they are devastating IF they open, but I'm not using any equipment with an IF on any game for ethical reasons especially african game.

Grim reapers have treated me (and my wife and several friends) extremely well, and I will be taking their hybrid model to africa. All the cut of mechanicals without the risk. No tuning needed and fly great. Highly recommend them

Please do not confuse any Airlines baggage requirements with the laws of the land; Dutch Customs (Tax and Customs Administration)

I understand the difference. Here in Texas we have the Penal Code, which I am well familiar with, and has nothing to do with an airlines policies on baggage. The penal code starts outside the airport as far as having a weapon on you or on your person, such as luggage. But I don't enforce those laws until they are on my property, which is off of airport property, and I don't enforce the airline 'in house' rules on their property. Yes, TSA here in the states is the enforcer at airports, as well as the in house airport police, but same difference.
If someone is inside of an airport with weapons, then yes, they will be dealt with as per the laws of the land. But checked bags are not in your 'possession' in most places. Maybe the Netherlands disagree?
I was merely stating that those rules with the link I copied may not apply to checked luggage. And while the law will always supersede the house rules of an airline, the airlines, especially the airlines of that country such as KLM is to the Netherlands would be negligent to write house rules that conflict with the local laws. That would lead to a possible situation where the accused could plead an affirmative defense, using the airlines policy as a defense. Obviously the law is the top document, but I don't see any lawyer allowing an airline to write a rule that contradicts the local/state/national laws. Those rules written by an airlines have to be, or you'd think they'd be, looked over and scrutinized at the highest levels before being approved.
My original post, which included that link someone else provided, refers to what appears to be a type of penal code, possibly that of the Netherlands. Which leads me to believe that rules/laws quoted there refer to a person that is out and about in the country, such as a visitor or resident. Not a person passing through the airport with a layover, never leaving the airport, and having checked bags never in ones possession while at the airport?
But it wouldn't be the first, nor last time, that I have been proven wrong and I certainly am not trying to provoke a fight over the matter. Was merely suggesting that maybe that link was as described above and not pertaining to checked luggage and layovers where the luggage is never in your possession.

And I guess I need to be more clear in my posts, even though I made my comments in regards to archery equipment and made those lines in BOLD print. I don't fly with firearms. Nothing against firearms, I have plenty, but if I'm going to Africa, it's with my bows.

Again, no hard feelings on my end, I was merely bringing up the link and what I 'assumed' it was and how it might not be applicable to archery equipment in checked bags for a layover in Amsterdam while flying with KLM.

Happy New Year to All!

My post was a cautionary note, nothing personal.
This discussion can create some clarity I hope.

I prefer not to have to mount any legal defence at home or in foreign lands. :)

It is somewhat atypical to what we assume the rules are when we are "transiting" and "not entering the country" within an airport. The Dutch apparently don't like sharp things so much the Customs office website is warning us not to bring them along at all, never mind thinking about importing them.

The very first line in the linked section: Weapons, ammunition and dummy weapons and explosives reads:
"Do not bring any weapons, ammunition and explosives with you on your trip," ...

Examples of weapons and ammunition are:
......... thrust and stabbing weapons

Examples of ......thrust and stabbing weapons:
  • arrows and arrow heads used to shoot with a bow and that have cutting edges that could injure someone

It will be bad enough when the Customs officers confiscates your expensive property without notice. Then the possibility of being detained for some period of time while they determine whether to charge you.
All the while, I get to wonder about missing my connecting flight, losing hunting days, wondering where I am going to get new broad heads (or start rifle hunting safari), added stress and PIA and possible financial costs to say "KLM website said.." is not worth it.

My solution with my bow and arrows with pointy sharp blades: Fly through London or Frankfurt. Avoid the Netherlands.

Happy New Year and Happy Hunting.

I understand the difference. Here in Texas we have the Penal Code, which I am well familiar with, and has nothing to do with an airlines policies on baggage. The penal code starts outside the airport as far as having a weapon on you or on your person, such as luggage. But I don't enforce those laws until they are on my property, which is off of airport property, and I don't enforce the airline 'in house' rules on their property. Yes, TSA here in the states is the enforcer at airports, as well as the in house airport police, but same difference.
If someone is inside of an airport with weapons, then yes, they will be dealt with as per the laws of the land. But checked bags are not in your 'possession' in most places. Maybe the Netherlands disagree?
I was merely stating that those rules with the link I copied may not apply to checked luggage. And while the law will always supersede the house rules of an airline, the airlines, especially the airlines of that country such as KLM is to the Netherlands would be negligent to write house rules that conflict with the local laws. That would lead to a possible situation where the accused could plead an affirmative defense, using the airlines policy as a defense. Obviously the law is the top document, but I don't see any lawyer allowing an airline to write a rule that contradicts the local/state/national laws. Those rules written by an airlines have to be, or you'd think they'd be, looked over and scrutinized at the highest levels before being approved.
My original post, which included that link someone else provided, refers to what appears to be a type of penal code, possibly that of the Netherlands. Which leads me to believe that rules/laws quoted there refer to a person that is out and about in the country, such as a visitor or resident. Not a person passing through the airport with a layover, never leaving the airport, and having checked bags never in ones possession while at the airport?
But it wouldn't be the first, nor last time, that I have been proven wrong and I certainly am not trying to provoke a fight over the matter. Was merely suggesting that maybe that link was as described above and not pertaining to checked luggage and layovers where the luggage is never in your possession.

And I guess I need to be more clear in my posts, even though I made my comments in regards to archery equipment and made those lines in BOLD print. I don't fly with firearms. Nothing against firearms, I have plenty, but if I'm going to Africa, it's with my bows.

Again, no hard feelings on my end, I was merely bringing up the link and what I 'assumed' it was and how it might not be applicable to archery equipment in checked bags for a layover in Amsterdam while flying with KLM.

Happy New Year to All!
PM sent.

https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/...mmunition/weapons_ammunition_dummy_explosives

I believe the last heading at the bottom "With Permission Only" states that you may be able to get permission to transit through the country (airport) with weapons (in your case broadheads) by first securing a permit/license to do so. I did this in 2017 with firearms and was told it was required even though I never left the airport or claimed my baggage.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.34.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.34.44 AM.png
    489.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.34.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.34.47 AM.png
    477.8 KB · Views: 80

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross