Getting broadheads through Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by tay50, Jun 22, 2019.

1. tay50

tay50 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA, Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, RSA, Limpopo, Free State
    I'm planning on taking my bow on my next trip to SA, I was told you cannot take broadheads in your locked bow case with traveling through Amsterdam? I know I could avoid the Amsterdam layover, but if I can't, I need an option. Is my only choice to ship them to my safari outfitter or will this also cause a problem? Thanks

2. lpace

lpace AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, USA, Canada
    I've heard the story told both ways, so I would be interested in a definitive answer as well.....

3. tay50

tay50 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA, Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, RSA, Limpopo, Free State
    I checked on the AH website and found out that broadheads and folding knives are not permitted through Amsterdam, it actually says bow hunters should avoid this route. I could not find out if you need a import permit to import/export your bow through Amsterdam, it only talks about firearms. I can ship my broadheads no problem, but why? I have never had a broadhead breakout of my bow case and attack anyone yet, but I guess it could happen (eye roll).

4. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    Check with your outfitter and see if he can source the same type of broad head that you are shooting and then if he can have him pick you up some. Then just bring your bow and arrows minus the broad heads.

5. Bos en Dal Safaris

Bos en Dal Safaris SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA, SA Hunter & Conservation
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Botswana
    See if your outfitter can get the broadhead you are shooting this side for you? If it is off the shelf broadheads you are using he will be able to buy them this side for you.
    My best

jeff likes this.

6. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    No permit required for a bow anywhere that I can find. They are worried about weapons and ammunition though.

Fresh off the web today. NO CUTTING EDGES on ARROW HEADS.
    https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/...mmunition/weapons_ammunition_dummy_explosives

Examples of bludgeons, thrust and stabbing weapons, stilettos, switch blades and butterfly knives are:
    • folding knives with more than 1 cutting edge
    • folding knives that are 28 centimetres long in folded position
    • arrows and arrow heads used to shoot with a bow and that have cutting edges that could injure someone

Attached Files:

7. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:

Attached Files:

8. tay50

tay50 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Hey guys thanks for the input, Wayne I noticed you are only using fixed blade heads, I shoot rage 2 blade heads 100 grain, they work great on whitetail. Do you know something I should be considering?

9. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hogpatrol and Bos en Dal Safaris like this.

10. firehuntfish

firehuntfish AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
    I absolutely concur.... My advice is also to leave the mechanicals at home. Over the years, I have seen a disproportionate amount of failures and lost animals due to mechanical and expandable broadheads compared to fixed blades with African game.... Any heavy duty, compact, fixed blade style that is tuned well is by far, the better choice for Africa...

jeff and Bos en Dal Safaris like this.

11. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    I have seen mechanical broad heads fail on elk and in no way would I take them on a plains game hunt in Africa. That is unless you are going to limit your game animals to the thin skin variety. But anything larger than a impala I would want a fixed blade.

jeff, Inline6 and Bos en Dal Safaris like this.

12. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

To answer your question better you should probably list the game intended.

13. tay50

tay50 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I'm really not sure what game I will be trying for, other than warthog for sure, maybe zebra, waterbuck, depends on what Africa give me. I also plan on using the outfitters rifle, because I can't sit in a hide all day, its to boring. I can switch up broadheads not a problem, they are the cheapest part of the hunt IMO, just like bullets. Thanks for the input.

14. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Chances are you can avoid going through Amsterdam. If not you can get plenty of good broadheads in South Africa. A quick look online at http://archersedge.co.za/
    shows both your preferred Rage broadheads and mine, Slick Trick. Honestly both will work, but Rage is gaining a nasty habit of failures while Slick Trick and others don't. There are other shops too, do a little web searching. Have your outfitter pick up a what's needed or if passing by drop in. Good to go.