general purpose bullet for the 6.5x55 cartridge

I’ve narrowed it down to the 140 gr Partition in my Ruger Hawkeye African behind a good dose of RL 22. Super accurate and hits hard. It’s all I use under the feeder light to shoot hogs at night. Even the really big ones don’t stand a chance. Reread your post and don’t find the Partition too tough, I‘ve shot whitetail, axis, coyotes and even a raccoon with no issues or excessive damage.

ABFBAF78-531A-4DB3-8880-FEF0318FAE72.jpeg

Last edited:
I love my 6.5x55 if i could only have one rifle that would be it, i mostly use 140 grain Speer hot cores they are a cheap bullet in Australia & preform very well on pigs.

Iv used 139gr privi so for hogs, worked well. For anything bigger I’d go with a pronoun 140gr

The coastal blacktail is a small fragile deer. I have taken a number of them with my 6.5 X 55 M96. A 120 - 130 grain cup and core bullet (like the SST or Ballistic Tip) will do better in my opinion than a harder bullet like the Swift AF.

I have taken Mule deer with the same bullets, but the Scirocco ot Accubond in 130 or 140 grain weights might do better on large mule deer or black bear.

The 6.5 Swede is a really fine, accurate cartridge.

I think standard cup & core bullets are fine in the 6.5s. Those bullets were designed for velocities in the 2,700 + or - range. This takes in the 6.5 Jap, 6.5X55, & the newer Creedmor. Use a cup & core in these & you'll be pleased with the results. My favorite is the old Rem. Core Loct, next is Hornadays Spire Point, both in 140gr weight.

Remington Ultra Bonded Core Lokt 140 Gr gets my vote .

Target practice with ELD-X 143, and hunting with Woodleigh 160 gr. I also have a couple boxes of Lapua Mega 155 gr that are still waiting to be opened.

I’ve narrowed it down to the 140 gr Partition in my Ruger Hawkeye African behind a good dose of RL 22. Super accurate and hits hard. It’s all I use under the feeder light to shoot hogs at night. Even the really big ones don’t stand a chance. Reread your post and don’t find the Partition too tough, I‘ve shot whitetail, axis, coyotes and even a raccoon with no issues or excessive damage.

View attachment 410328

Have been using the Speer 140 gr. Grand Slam ahead of IMR 4831/CCI 200 primers out of mine.

WP-20190501-10-01-58-Pro-50-crop-pallet.jpg

For a relatively inexpensive C&C bullet, it has been outstanding.

Red

In my opinion it would be very hard to beat the 140gr Sierra Gameking Soft Point Boat Tail.

Not too heavy and slow, fairly decent BC if you want to shoot out a bit but you won't be driving it so fast it breaks up if you shoot something fairly close in.

ATB,

Scrummy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg