Hyde Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
going in April on first time to So Africa and want to take a Gemsbuck and Kudu but with limited wall space (height) that is I need to know how tall the mounts would be from brisket to tip of horns if someone would be kind enough to let me know that would be great. my wife said no mounts unless they are in the barn but I wore her down to these two, (don't know what she will cost me for this) but it will be worth it. thanks Jim

You do realize Africa is life changing and after one safari you will be going back. Maybe work harder on your wife, there will be more mounts inbound. All deserve better than a barn, unless you renovate and make one hell of a trophy room man cave?? Maybe a small duiker shoulder mount, easy to sneak into an abstract spot?

Now to your question. My gemsbuck is 51" from brisket to top of horn. With about 37" horn length. I got lucky and shot a big kudu, 56" horn length, he is 63" brisket to top of horn. Understand that you can change that number some what, having a fully erect mount increases it and mounting in a sneak, semi sneak will decrease it. Gemsbuck on an 8' wall should be OK, a big kudu and brisket will be low. You may look at pedestal mounts, they are great displays for low ceiling rooms.

Sure others can add so you get an average number. You are in for a life changing experience, enjoy your safari, take all in and immerse in Africa, she gets in your soul.

MB

It would cost me about 20% alimony and 1000 per kid child support if I got told I had to put my mounts outside in the barn. Lol. I was always more partial to looking at my Gemsbok than my ex-wife anyway. All kidding aside they do take some wall with 36-40” horns, I have seen a couple with the
head down quite a bit to work out in low ceilings.
7E93624E-E327-4471-92CE-5A6F624FF6C1.jpeg
I haven’t measured but I’m thinking these guys are probably all of 50” from brisket to horn tip. Good luck, maybe when she realizes how beautiful they are on the wall you can convince her of more. Like a beautiful bush pig for the bedroom wall!

Euro mounts are smaller, and cheaper,

Your wife might even like them better !

Thanks for the Gemsbok motivation. I did a Euro mount for mine.
Going to shoot one for meat this Saturday and you reminded me to let my game processor know in advance.

those mounts look great, I showed her where the Kudu would have to go and that did not over well but she could live with the gemsbuck on the wall I want so the kudu and others will have to be Euro mounts.also after 48 years with her 20% would cheap but at this time it is better to keep her

Shoot to fit!
For example, low ceilings but not much in the room so it's ok if it sticks out a long ways....
Screenshot_20211103-011250_Gallery.jpg

Ha ha ha!

Another vote for a pedestal mount.

My 48" Kudu mounts are 59" from bottom of brisket to top of horn.

My longest Gemsbok has 39" horns and he is 55" from bottom of brisket to top of horn. I had him mounted in a "sneak" pose to reduce the height of the mount./..
4jue9bfl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A pedestal mount is a really good idea with low ceilings. The two below were designed to fit in a couple of six-foot high nooks in our previous home. They obviously also work well in a larger space.

pedestal1.jpg

pedestal 2.jpg

A pedestal mount is a really good idea with low ceilings. The two below were designed to fit in a couple of six-foot high nooks in our previous home. They obviously also work well in a larger space.

View attachment 436080
View attachment 436081
a little off topic @Red Leg : that knife behind the gemsbok, on the wall. What is its story if I may ask?

very nice pedestal mounts by the way !

a little off topic @Red Leg : that knife behind the gemsbok, on the wall. What is its story if I may ask?

very nice pedestal mounts by the way !
That is a Confederate D Guard Bowie.

I come by my privilege the honest way - I inherited it. :A Too Cool: All of my ancestors fought for the Confederacy. One died leading his Brigade at Gettysburg, another walked home from a Yankee hospital in Petersburg, and yet another road with Nathan Bedford Forest.

Last edited:
That is a Confederate D Guard Bowie.

I come by my privilege the honest way - I inherited it. :A Too Cool: All of my ancestors fought for the Confederacy. One died leading his Brigade at Gettysburg, another walked home from a Yankee hospital in Petersburg, and yet another road with Nathan Bedford Forest.
I actually suspected that that knife was from the civil war. I had seen a similar one in a documentary once, but it was a very rare left handed one.

A truly special item with lot's of family history, to be treasured for many generations to come. I have read "A stillness at Appomattox" by Catton Bruce and "The Killer Angels" by Shaara. Both are sublime.

My apologies to the OP for derailing the thread a little bit. But this really caught my eye :)

I actually suspected that that knife was from the civil war. I had seen a similar one in a documentary once, but it was a very rare left handed one.

A truly special item with lot's of family history, to be treasured for many generations to come. I have read "A stillness at Appomattox" by Catton Bruce and "The Killer Angels" by Shaara. Both are sublime.

My apologies to the OP for derailing the thread a little bit. But this really caught my eye :)
And he "rode" with Forest - not "road" with him - jeez.

I have several Confederate items among my Civil War era treasures to include an 1863 Richmond musket and an Enfield carried by an identified confederate mounted infantryman at the battle of Haymarket.

Even though it is a novel, Shaara's book may be the best thing ever written about the war. A close second is Shelby Foote's epic three volume "Civil War."

I’m fascinated with the civil war, the house my father grew up in in waynesboro Virginia that was built in 1812 was in the middle of a battle towards the end of the war. When we resided the house we came away with cans of mini- balls and a unexploded cannon ball or 2 . George Armstrong Custer commanded the Union forces. The house is now a museum and in the national registry of historic places.
And he "rode" with Forest - not "road" with him - jeez.

I have several Confederate items among my Civil War era treasures to include an 1863 Richmond musket and an Enfield carried by an identified confederate mounted infantryman at the battle of Haymarket.

Even though it is a novel, Shaara's book may be the best thing ever written about the war. A close second is Shelby Foote's epic three volume "Civil War."

going in April on first time to So Africa and want to take a Gemsbuck and Kudu but with limited wall space (height) that is I need to know how tall the mounts would be from brisket to tip of horns if someone would be kind enough to let me know that would be great. my wife said no mounts unless they are in the barn but I wore her down to these two, (don't know what she will cost me for this) but it will be worth it. thanks Jim
No question a wall pedistal mount is the best to conserve space. Otherwise you will have your animals stick too far out. I can’t wait to get my Buffalo, Nyala and black Impala all three with wall pedistal mounts in my office. I will take pictures so everyone can see how I got 7 mounted animals complete with Zebra rug into such a small office

My 7 animals include a large Kudu and Black Wildebeest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdowall

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!