Front sight hood

Pheroze

AH ambassador
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
5,574
Reaction score
9,982
Location
Ontario
Media
100
Articles
32
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
6
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Is there a real reason to keep this thing on my 798? I am not sure of its purpose. I have a vague plan to practice with iron sights and I have a fibre optic foresight so it protects it. However, not sure if my eyes are good enough. I currently use a 1-4 trijicon and the hood is visible in it.
 
Generally the sight cover is for protecting the sight from being damaged or bent. It is best to remove it while actually using the rifle if it is the removable type.
 
Generally the sight cover is for protecting the sight from being damaged or bent. It is best to remove it while actually using the rifle if it is the removable type.

Thanks. It will slide off with a bit of force.
 
i dont like them and remove them . if they arent removable they soon are :)

Yes, I agree. I don't get their purpose. I have never seen a double with them and there are newer ones that flip back:unsure:
 
The purpose is a throw back to military rifles and to protect the sight when transporting/handling them. Not for when the rifle is being used.
 
Sight hoods are also used to reduce/eliminate glare and over-brightness on the rear face of the sight. Many spring steel clip on hoods on the market today offer little to no protection, but do effectively prevent sight washout. In handguns, an undercut patridge front sight does effectively the same, as it would in a rifle, but while these work great on targets, not many folks want a fishhook on the front of ther firearm in the field.
 
Last edited:
Sight hoods are also used to reduce/eliminate glare and over-brightness on the rear sight.

ok this will probably prove a dumb question.....but how does a front sight hood reduce glare/brightness on a rear sight?......
 
ok this will probably prove a dumb question.....but how does a front sight hood reduce glare/brightness on a rear sight?......

Not a dumb question, just a slip of the tongue (rather fingers) as I was thinking of something else while typing.

I fixed my post, but I MEANT to say "rear face of the sight," not just "rear sight."
 
Not a dumb question, just a slip of the tongue (rather fingers) as I was thinking of something else while typing.

I fixed my post, but I MEANT to say "rear face of the sight," not just "rear sight."

phew i was expecting some real simple answer...:E Big Grin:
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,469
Members
169,567
Latest member
MarvinTeje
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top