Frankenstein sight experiment success

deewayne2003

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
So my first .470 NE double was hitting a 12” high and the gunsmith suggested building up the front sight with epoxy putty and then filing it down until it hit true to point of aim.

57A8E55E-F9B0-4D04-8B63-BAA442FF3CD4.jpeg

Then step 2 will be sending it off to him; this way he will know EXACTLY what height replacement sight to install.

A little orange paint for visibility (indoor range) and I brought a #9 file and 200,400 grit sand paper to adjust and were off to the range.

Before pic = 12” high
AA70836B-0F08-4CD5-BCA4-7243431580EF.jpeg

It should be noted that the above group was shot at 60yds, as well as being my first time shooting this rifle I just purchased and my first double rifle as well as first .470NE.

Well for the second set of targets, these were fired at 50yds, standing with a BOG Pod bipod resting on the bench.

A few strokes with the file and fine tuning with sandpaper and I start seeing good results.
F7D5D535-FF76-4F3B-97D0-96628F390479.jpeg

500gr Hornady DGS(solids) Target grid lines are 1”
E047D6DB-1E2F-4AA3-920C-FB4D278A9DDC.jpeg

.22 LR casing for scale
354718AC-4DF4-4CAA-9BE0-8F7E59401846.jpeg

I thought I would share this If someone was dealing with sight issues; because it worked for me.

Now it’s off to the gunsmith for the front sight replacement; which FYI the Smith is the same man who re-regulated this rifle.

Attachments

• 268851CC-3B5C-4BEC-9C56-FF7F91406F69.jpeg
    268851CC-3B5C-4BEC-9C56-FF7F91406F69.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
  • CC139681-FC91-4DB7-8746-FA0B24F19849.jpeg
    CC139681-FC91-4DB7-8746-FA0B24F19849.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I think you have no further worries. I went through a good deal of trial and error with my Ruger No. 1 in .458 Lott. I decided I wanted express sights. Ruger has them or never made anything like that depending on who you talk to on a given day. I am excited for you that you have found the new sight height. I would encourage you to shoot more and see if the honeymoon wears off before making final specs on front sight height. You may learn to control the gun better and the sight could end up being off.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Good deal! If not hunting the gun right away maybe a good idea to leave as is and shoot some with possible or different ammo- just to make sure. However it should be very close since it is just an elevation determination with no windage. The gunsmith will simply center up the new sight same as was the original. I used to do a variation of the same thing with old military muskets that always shot high at 50 and even 100 yards. I would simply tape a piece of thick gray cardboard to the front sight and shoot at desired range with established load. Started tall and cut down until correct height determined. Then fitted a sight of correct height to the front. Did the same with different Mausers and Trapdoor Springfields that had front sights too short and shot way too high with lowest rear sight setting. Found the right height with a temp cardboard front taped on.

deewayne2003

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I agree with you both on shooting it more and with different Ammo before settling on a front sight.

All of the Ammo I fired as of yet, came with the rifle and I have the load data.

I went ahead and purchased 8lbs of powder, 1,000 primers, and hundreds of bullets it’s regulated with; I just need to secure some new brass and I’m done for components gathering.

For now I need to have a trim die ordered for the brass as well as a crimp die. While I double check and test my hand loads + experiment with other projectiles.

once all load development is done, then the rifle will be sent off with a supply of Ammo and the gunsmith will take care of the sight.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
He's a nice guy letting the smith shoot the gun too! I guess he's gotta be extra sure the sight doesn't come off. I can see the emails now, nice gun...shoots well...sight not ready yet send more ammo...just curious why he asked it to be sent to Tanzania...

In all seriousness, I'm envious of your dedication. You've gotten yourself set up to be able to shoot this rifle for a great long period. Much luck and enjoyment!

ve7poi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member SCI
Hunted
British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
Get ahold of krieghoff USA they use to sell WR brass once fired really good brass that they used to regulate rifles with.

deewayne2003

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Well mission accomplished, I finally got the gun sent off and new sight installed.

Ken wanted to double check the regulating so he mount his custom peep sight on the gun and shot both barrels from standing rest @ 50yds.
HQ30qnv.jpg

"I had to walk down there to the target after the second shot to see that it was actually 2 bullet marks!"

Then he mounted the new sight and it's ready to hunt!
4rc0AEE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Like to know how big the aperture is on the peep sight.
If it's not too small you may want to get it.
Or if it has interchangeable apertures.
A true "ghost ring" sight could be very useful on a double.
With results like that, it could be worth it.

ve7poi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member SCI
Hunted
British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
Very nice shooting
Don’t you love it when a plan comes together like that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeraDalzie

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...