steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
Well, many in the US and Europe seem to be getting into retro mods--thus making quirky troublesome classics into reliable daily drivers. Not trying to give Kevin Peacock apoplexy by picking on Land Rovers exclusively, but has anyone LS swapped a vehicle in order to improve reliability? There are other swaps and other motors too numerous to list. Wouldn't be surprised to find some Cummins diesel swaps in our ranks, as well! What say ye?

It isn't a Land Rover, but my '69 FJ40 Land Cruiser now has a four speed transmission, disc breaks, and power steering.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't a Land Rover, but my '69 FJ40 Land Cruiser now has a four speed transmission, disk breaks, and power steering.
"Disk breaks" Jeez - Disc brakes

I commiserate since that is an old classic, but some of the 90's? Better swap for something bulletproof than leave the tranny behind in the street!

leave the tranny behind in the street!

I’m afraid that means something very different than what it meant when that truck was new…
:D

Since for whatever reason we can't get the Hilux diesel that the rest of the world has. I have looked at what it would take to build a BT4 cummings inspired toyota 4x4. Have the idea but two many other projects (65 El camino) to make it happen any time soon.

Since for whatever reason we can't get the Hilux diesel that the rest of the world has. I have looked at what it would take to build a BT4 cummings inspired toyota 4x4. Have the idea but two many other projects (65 El camino) to make it happen any time soon.
A smaller offering in diesel would be the Isuzu motor out of a Chevy LUV, or an old VW rabbit pickup? They were once sold here and are still around on the web for sale. The trouble is, are they grandfathered in as drop in drivetrains, or would you have to do a body swap onto the LUV chassis to legally register/pass inspection? Thanks goodness Tx joins Fla and others in abandoning car inspection! The door is now open to experiment?

For the cost of doing some of the major mods mentioned (swapping out engines for a diesel, etc)... wouldnt it be cheaper just to import the truck you want?

I have a hard time cost justifying spending a couple of thousand bucks to import, and then a couple of thousand bucks to ship something like a diesel hi-lux or even a well preserved Land Rover or Land Cruiser..

but.. if Im going to pay the same amount to swap out engines, transmissions, etc..etc.. why not just find the truck you want on your next trip over and work out a deal?

Back in the day in NZ more than half the Land Rovers had Holden 6 cylinders petrol engines fitted & I believe there was a Diesel Mercedes motor that would near bolt straight in ?

I always was thinking of fitting a vintage Land Rover body to a Land Cruiser to make a reliable hunting vehicle with the cool factor for guiding clients but had enough trouble keeping the Cruisers we had going without messing around more.

I think one of the other outfitters did indeed fit a Land Rover to a Hilux chassis ?

@mdwest Understand that but you think getting a elephant approval from USFW is hard try importing approval on said truck. If you got it here you wouldn't be allowed to license it for the road. Could use only off road etc. had a buddy do all the research when we got back from our first safari and the red tape would tie you up forever.

@steve white I looked at those also, but as an old gear head and krazy off roader in my younger years I was looking at something a bit more radical. Custom frame 4x4 maunal transmission, extended cab 85-early 2000's period cab and front clip, flat bed that was setup with gooseneck adapter or 5th wheel hitch mounts, that would have option for stake bed. BT4 with compound turbo's (350-500 HP with 750-800 ftlbs of torque) geared to rock crawl in low range and cruise at 80MPH all day in high range.

I own four 4WD vehicles... HZJ73 SWB Landcruiser Diesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A, 100 series Landcruiser, Ford F350 7.3L crewcab P/U. I have owned many other 4WD vehicles, but these suit my current needs best.

I have, after owning FJ40s, FJ60s, FZJ80s, HZJ70s, and 100 series, come to the obvious conclusion that the Toyota Landcrusier is the most capable and reliable off-highway vehicle that can also be used for over-the-road travel.

As for modifications of vehicles, it's fun to fool with, but there is a load of complications and gotchas that can come along with performance modifications. And some suspension modifications.

Careful what you wish for.

My Willys helping out in the yard...
Jeep. yardwork.jpg

We're looking at the possibility of buying a small "ranch" in E TX in the near future.. nothing huge.. 100-150 acres (the place Im currently considering is about 130 acres).. but definitely big enough that a dedicated ranch vehicle will be in order..

I've got a decent UTV/Side by Side (Polaris Ranger 570 EV) that can do most of the work.. but I've thought an old Willys would be fun to have around as well.. I saw a 1958 Willys truck that was running and looked like it was in really good shape overall go for $9K at an auction recently.. and saw a 1963 USMC "radio" jeep (basically a left hand drive postal jeep with the enclosed top, etc) go for just under $8K that was running and in good condition..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fullhunter

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.