For the tractor lovers

Wyatt Smith

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
This evening I was disking with the old 9600 ford. This was on a good hard pull, up a hill. Listening to the governor working and the whine of the turbo in cool air is magic to a farm boy.
255AE852-DECE-4CA7-8322-C8541923A28E.jpeg

This evening I was disking with the old 9600 ford. This was on a good hard pull, up a hill. Listening to the governor working and the whine of the turbo in cool air is magic to a farm boy.
View attachment 528445
Yes it is! Especially on something old enough to not have all the pollution crap on it;)

That tractor is just yelling "Let's Go Brandon"!

Nothing like a bit of tractor therapy to melt away the cares of the world!

I grew up on John Deere tractors in the 70's. Started with a B, then a 60. Graduated to a 4020 when I could reach the clutch. Good memories.

This was back when you had to steer your tractors. It took skill and was a matter of pride to plow straight. Cultivating took concentration.

My dad grew up with horses and stayed on the farm because tractors came along.

The first two tractors I learned on were a Ferguson and a Chalmers. Not Massey-Ferguson and Allis-Chalmers! Once I could run straight with those I graduated to green.

I grew up around tractors and the dairy farm of my best friend. I finally got my own little John Deere tractor last year. Work in the apple orchard, planting flowers for bees, and moving big trees are some of the magical uses of a small tractor. I regreso not buying one earlier.

Here is a photo of putting a pallet of 4 very full hives into a minivan for a 2.5 hr drive. (That was an exciting drive.) The tractor also saves our backs when moving wood for the lumber mill.

4897896E-1CB3-4CA9-9987-6DB1B85D1A9E.jpeg
69B56820-3919-4AA0-AC3B-B064D3656AEE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Sweet Allis Chalmers, I known you so long, I feel like I've growed to your wheel"...
I learned to drive on a WD at age 7, I had to jump on the crank to start it because the 6v electrical system was dodgy. Graduated to a 3020 at age 11, life got a lot better. We farmed 500 acres with that 3020 and WD, got an M with a single wheel to go under the cornpicker.

Nothing like turbo whine! Although a Poppin John is an amazing experience to be around. :)

Matt

Very old Fordsons, Farmalls, then onto International on the farms I grew up on and the station I started work on in the 60's and finally the "84 season on sugar cane haulout in Qld when I was there for a while as a change from the building industry, the Alsis Chalmers with 8 ton can bins and ran them full throttle all day from the harvester to the railhead to drop one bin, pickup another and back to the harvester again.

20230416_211856.jpg

20230416_211906.jpg

20230416_212001.jpg

20230416_212017.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 528445
@Wyatt Smith
Driving a truck with a n old 8V92 TT gm motor with 6 inch straight thru twin sports stacks is a memory you never forget either. The high revs of the old gm @ 2,800rpm and the whine of twin turbos is music.
Problem is you could have a normal conversation in the cab it was that bad. Combine that with the rattle of a 15 speed double overdrive road Ranger box and it was truly a cacophony of sounds.
Ah the good old days.
You can shove them where the sun don't shine and give me the comfort and quietness of the new trucks.
Bob

Turning dirt! Puts a smile on your face. An addiction you can't kick.
@CowDoc Turning dirt and the smell of that fresh ploughed earth is amazing BUT driving around in ever decreasing circles is as boring as bat shit no mater what way you look at it. I've done my fair share to dislike it nowadays.
Bob

The first two tractors I learned on were a Ferguson and a Chalmers. Not Massey-Ferguson and Allis-Chalmers! Once I could run straight with those I graduated to green.
@WAB
That's giving our age away mate. I started on an old Fergie TE 20 I think it was. An old mate loved his old Fordson kerosene start petrol run tractor and his old smokey fordson diesel
Bob

@Wyatt Smith
Driving a truck with a n old 8V92 TT gm motor with 6 inch straight thru twin sports stacks is a memory you never forget either. The high revs of the old gm @ 2,800rpm and the whine of twin turbos is music.
Problem is you could have a normal conversation in the cab it was that bad. Combine that with the rattle of a 15 speed double overdrive road Ranger box and it was truly a cacophony of sounds.
Ah the good old days.
You can shove them where the sun don't shine and give me the comfort and quietness of the new trucks.
Bob
A friend once said "Many people over the years have tried to find the most efficient way to turn diesel fuel into horsepower. GM perfected turning it into noise".

A friend once said "Many people over the years have tried to find the most efficient way to turn diesel fuel into horsepower. GM perfected turning it into noise".
That's all I could think of reading @Bob Nelson 35Whelen description of that truck;)

My dad had "the" JD 435 sold from our local dealership. My brother owns that tractor now. I have 4 in various states of repair, 3 or which are running. Plus a little JD 440 ICD, which stands for Industrial Crawler Diesel. Same 2-53 Detroit 2 cylinder, 2 cycle diesel motor. So one if the most unique sounding tractors ever built. @Just Gina has her own JD 435 that she drove in the tractor parade last year. Her's has power steering and a muffler, my best overall condition one has a straight pipe. Bought it that way and can't get the damned thing loose to replace it with a muffler....
Screenshot_20220820-221735_Gallery.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg