For the Chapstick guru's

Jay T

Reaction score
I new Capstick for several years. We never hunted together but did swap some stories and quite a bit of whiskey. I know his wife donated his beloved 375 and one lucky bastard now sets awake at night stroking it lovingly. My question is what happened to his venerable Lange .470 N.E. double. Everytime I reread his books it keeps me awake what lucky bastard has it and does he know what he has. Thanks Peter not only for your written words but for that one shot of your beloved double and some damn fine whiskey. Say hello to Gordon for me. Keep me a chair around the evening fire. I'll bring the whiskey.

Thanks. We first ran into each other in Rhodesia. Last time was in Atlanta August 14th 1987. A fine evening of story swapping was had. I'm sure him and Gordon Cundill are together looking down and laughing at all of us. I'll probably be there before all of us are ready!!!!

I though I read that the .470 wasn't his, but belonged to the outfitter he PH'd for. But I also thought it was an Evans, not a Lang. My memory isn't what it once was.

I just finished rereading Death in the Long Grass recently and had found myself thinking about what became of the rifles he used. Same goes for anytime I read books about the 'golden age' of safaris. Probably a fair few people out there that own the rifles of famous hunters and don't know it.

Years ago I had the privilege on handling Henry Morton Stanley's signal shot 4 bore rifle. You could practically feel the history coming off it.

His first double rifle was an English William Evans boxlock ejector .470 Nitro Express. It got stolen shortly after he published “Death In The Long Grass”. His second double rifle was also a boxlock ejector .470 Nitro Express, built by Abbiatico & Salvinelli (FAMARS) in Italy for Champlin Arms. Rifle number 763. He retained this one until his death.

Jeff Rann (of Botswana fame) owns it now (or at least he did, as of 2017).

Finally got time to write a bigger and more comprehensive reply.

Peter had a five firearm battery :
- A .275 Rigby
- A .375 Holland & Holland Magnum
- A .470 Nitro Express Boxlock Ejector
- A 12 Gauge
- A handgun

We don’t know if the .275 Rigby was really made by John Rigby & Co. or if it was a generic 7x57 mm Mauser .

His first .375 Holland & Holland Magnum was built by Continental Arms in New York, on an early (pre ‘62) control round feed FN Mauser action. Magazine capacity was five rounds. The extractor wasn’t beveled, because Peter couldn’t load a round directly into the chamber ( by snapping the extractor over the rim ) without risking breaking the ejector. In 1989, he bought a second .375 from the Musgrave factory in South Africa which was built on a military surplus Mauser 98 action , with an octagonal barrel and a Timney adjustable trigger. It had Peter’s personal serial number ( PHC-1 ) engraved on the action in gold.

His first .470 Nitro Express was a William Evans Boxlock Ejector, which was stolen from his Florida home in 1974. His second .470 Nitro Express was bought from George Caswell ( of Champlin Arms ) at an SCI convention at Las Vegas , while he was signing leather bound copies of “ Death In The Long Grass “. This one was an Italian Champlin-Famars Boxlock Ejector ( serial number 763 ).

His first shotgun was a Beretta 12 Gauge 2 3/4” Silver Snipe Over & Under , which was also stolen from his Florida home in 1974. After that , he shifted to a 12 Gauge 2 3/4” Winchester Model 1200 with the Win-Choke interchangeable tubes.

His handgun of choice was initially a 9x19 mm Browning Hi Power semi automatic . Later, he switched to a .38 Special Ruger revolver .

Until 1984 , Peter preferred 300 Gr Winchester Silver Tip soft points and 300 Gr Remington round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids for his .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. He eventually switched to A Square ammunition for his .375 Holland & Holland Magnum In 1989.

For his .470 Nitro Express, he initially preferred using old stock ICI Kynoch 500 Gr soft points and round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids, which were loaded with 150 grains of cordite. After BELL Brass began to produce factory loaded .470 Nitro Express ammunition in 1983, this is what he began to use until 1989 ( when BELL Brass closed down ).

For following up wounded leopards, he initially used British brass cased SSG shotgun shells ( SSG is # 3 Buckshot with a 6.8 mm pellet diameter). He later shifted to # 1 Buckshot (or Spec. SG), after conducting some ballistics tests in 1976 . These were local South African paper cased Swartklip shells. He used the same brand for wingshooting, preferring the following shot sizes:
#9 for doves
#8 for rock pigeons
#6 for waterfowl

Even though he didn’t personally own it, Peter also used a Game Department issued Winchester Model 70 in .458 Winchester Magnum for elephant cropping work ( no mention is made as to whether it was a pre ‘64 control round feed action or a post 64 push feed action ). For this, he used Game Department issued Winchester Super Speed 500 Gr round nosed FMJ solids ( most likely gilding metal jacketed , which was what Winchester was using during the 1970s until they began to use Hornady round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids from 1983 ).

Early in his career, he also used a W.J. Jeffery boxlock ejector in .475 Nitro Express (along with old stock 480Gr I.C.I Kynoch ammunition) which used to belong to the outfitter whom he apprenticed under.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.10 AM.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.11 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.27 AM.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.30 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.31 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.33 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.55.59 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.56.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.56.00 AM.png
    551.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.56.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.56.01 AM.png
    641.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.56.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.56.02 AM.png
    639.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.56.02 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.56.02 AM 1.png
    644.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.56.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.56.03 AM.png
    565.1 KB · Views: 47

- A .275 Rigby
- A 12 Gauge
- A handgun

We don’t know if the .275 Rigby was really made by John Rigby & Co. or if it was a generic 7x57 mm Mauser .

His first .375 Holland & Holland Magnum was built by Continental Arms in New York, on an early (pre ‘62) control round feed FN Mauser action. Magazine capacity was five rounds. The extractor wasn’t beveled, because Peter couldn’t load a round directly into the chamber ( by snapping the extractor over the rim ) without risking breaking the ejector. In 1989, he bought a second .375 from the Musgrave factory in South Africa which was built on a military surplus Mauser 98 action , with an octagonal barrel and a Timney adjustable trigger. It had Peter’s personal serial number ( PHC-1 ) engraved on the action in gold.

His first .470 Nitro Express was a William Evans Boxlock Ejector, which was stolen from his Florida home in 1974. His second .470 Nitro Express was bought from George Caswell ( of Champlin Arms ) at an SCI convention at Las Vegas , while he was signing leather bound copies of “ Death In The Long Grass “. This one was an Italian Champlin-Famars Boxlock Ejector ( serial number 763 ).

His first shotgun was a Beretta 12 Gauge 2 3/4” Silver Snipe Over & Under , which was also stolen from his Florida home in 1974. After that , he shifted to a 12 Gauge 2 3/4” Winchester Model 1200 with the Win-Choke interchangeable tubes.

His handgun of choice was initially a 9x19 mm Browning Hi Power semi automatic . Later, he switched to a .38 Special Ruger revolver .

Until 1984 , Peter preferred 300 Gr Winchester Silver Tip soft points and 300 Gr Remington round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids for his .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. He eventually switched to A Square ammunition for his .375 Holland & Holland Magnum In 1989.

For his .470 Nitro Express, he initially preferred using old stock ICI Kynoch 500 Gr soft points and round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids, which were loaded with 150 grains of cordite. After BELL Brass began to produce factory loaded .470 Nitro Express ammunition in 1983, this is what he began to use until 1989 ( when BELL Brass closed down ).

For following up wounded leopards, he initially used British brass cased SSG shotgun shells ( SSG is # 3 Buckshot with a 6.8 mm pellet diameter). He later shifted to # 1 Buckshot (or Spec. SG), after conducting some ballistics tests in 1976 . These were local South African paper cased Swartklip shells. He used the same brand for wingshooting, preferring the following shot sizes:
#9 for doves
#8 for rock pigeons
#6 for waterfowl

Even though he didn’t personally own it, Peter also used a Game Department issued Winchester Model 70 in .458 Winchester Magnum for elephant cropping work ( no mention is made as to whether it was a pre ‘64 control round feed action or a post 64 push feed action ). For this, he used Game Department issued Winchester Super Speed 500 Gr round nosed FMJ solids ( most likely gilding metal jacketed , which was what Winchester was using during the 1970s until they began to use Hornady round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids from 1983 ).

Early in his career, he also used a W.J. Jeffery boxlock ejector in .475 Nitro Express (along with old stock 480Gr I.C.I Kynoch ammunition) which used to belong to the outfitter whom he apprenticed under.
You are a fount of knowledge HH, thank you!

His first double rifle was an English William Evans boxlock ejector .470 Nitro Express. It got stolen shortly after he published “Death In The Long Grass”. His second double rifle was also a boxlock ejector .470 Nitro Express, built by Abbiatico & Salvinelli (FAMARS) in Italy for Champlin Arms. Rifle number 763. He retained this one until his death.

Jeff Rann (of Botswana fame) owns it now (or at least he did, as of 2017).

no kidding??? That is really wild to know Jeff owns(ed) that double!

where is the reference to the 275 in capsticks work? It’s not coming to mind?

i believe in his safari planning book he also mentions using a 3006 along with a 375 as a two-rifle gig, but don’t recall what 3006. Likely a model 70?

- A .275 Rigby
- A 12 Gauge
- A handgun

#9 for doves
#8 for rock pigeons
#6 for waterfowl

Wow. Great summary. Thanks!!
Does anyone know the details of the burglary of his home?? Were the guns the specific target or collateral damage with a random break in??

no kidding??? That is really wild to know Jeff owns(ed) that double!

where is the reference to the 275 in capsticks work? It’s not coming to mind?

i believe in his safari planning book he also mentions using a 3006 along with a 375 as a two-rifle gig, but don’t recall what 3006. Likely a model 70?
Screenshot_20210805-024548_01_01.jpg

Death In The Long Grass

On a side note, I don't want to get involved in the whole "Whether Peter Capstick's stories were true or not" debate (it generates a lot of controversy). But I'll just add something, anyway:

Jeff Rann actually took Capstick on a hunt in Botswana so that he could claim to have hunted dangerous game. Jeff told me that Capstick was drunk most of the time and wouldn't go near dangerous animals and Jeff actually shot most of the animals in the movie made of the safari.

I try to stay as neutral as possible, because I'm a huge Capstick fanboy. But If you watch the movie, you can see that Capstick was very shaky and was very afraid when they approached a hippo. It must be remembered that I hunted in some of Peter's old stomping grounds during my African Safaris in the 1970s and 1980s. Some of his claims actually seem to be rather a stretch.

But it goes without saying that Peter's writings did a great deal of good for the African safari industry.

Last edited:
Wow. Great summary. Thanks!!
Does anyone know the details of the burglary of his home?? Were the guns the specific target or collateral damage with a random break in??
No. Because a few trophies (head mounts and at least one leopard hide) were also stolen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross