For Sale Stunning 700 AHR Bolt Gun

I have to jump in here, frankly against my better judgment. First off, I have frequently commented on this site, that when a member offers something for sale, that unless you are a serious buyer, save the comments. I belong to several similar sites to this one that prohibits comments on the offered item, unless there is an obvious issue. Now that I have gotten that issue off my chest (for the umpteenth time - are you listening Mr. Moderator?), one can enjoy having and shooting the "big ones" without having a credit account at a local chiropractor clinic. I personally own and enjoy and shoot a number of the "big boys" up to and including a 600 NE. Use 5744 and load accordingly. To emphasize my point, even the late, great Cal Pappas did not always light off his big guns with a full charge. He and I communicated before his untimely passing on reduced loads on the 600 - he preferred 4831 with kapok filler; I prefer as noted above 5744 which requires no fillers. Oh, by the way, I am 77, 5-9 and 180 wet.

I have to jump in here, frankly against my better judgment. First off, I have frequently commented on this site, that when a member offers something for sale, that unless you are a serious buyer, save the comments. I belong to several similar sites to this one that prohibits comments on the offered item, unless there is an obvious issue. Now that I have gotten that issue off my chest (for the umpteenth time - are you listening Mr. Moderator?), one can enjoy having and shooting the "big ones" without having a credit account at a local chiropractor clinic. I personally own and enjoy and shoot a number of the "big boys" up to and including a 600 NE. Use 5744 and load accordingly. To emphasize my point, even the late, great Cal Pappas did not always light off his big guns with a full charge. He and I communicated before his untimely passing on reduced loads on the 600 - he preferred 4831 with kapok filler; I prefer as noted above 5744 which requires no fillers. Oh, by the way, I am 77, 5-9 and 180 wet.
Also frankly speaking, you have voiced this opinion multiple times and it is just as ridiculous, asinine and useless of an opinion now as it has been before and no one cares. It does no harm whatsoever to post well meaning or benign comments on someone’s FS thread, unless of course the OP requests that there be none. This will be my last post in this thread so as to not derail it further. Apologies to the OP and GLWS.

Last edited:
Is not this comment a comment that should be prohibited should we choose to prohibit comments in the sale section?

Wouldn’t a potential seller want the comments to keep pushing the sale to the top of the feed? I can imagine that a prospective buyer of this fine rifle would appreciate to know how many are in awe of a nicely built cannon meant to be shouldered only by the boldest of riflemen.

I’m afraid some of the comments are scaring potential buyers away! :D

I mean, come on guys. I doesn’t kick THAT hard! :ROFLMAO:

I sure miss Tom and Cal. They would chime in and put your minds to ease.

I don't understand being the "get off my lawn" guy on this forum of all places. African hunting and big bores is a pretty niche community of folks, and if an item listed for sale sparks a conversation, how is that a bad thing? As the prior post says, every comment bumps this to the top of the list, so the seller is benefited by the dialog.

If you list something for sale and only want comments from interested buyers, say that in your post.

But to get on your high horse about comments from people that aren't going to buy the gun, to only THEN leave a comment about your experience/opinions, WITHOUT HAVING AN INTEREST IN BUYING THE GUN, is laughably hypocritical.

All I know is, if I could figure out a reasonable and even vaguely responsible way to buy this rifle for myself for $8700, nobody here would have ever gotten the opportunity to see it, except maybe in a range report or hunt report thread. This rifle is worth twice the asking price.

I know my .505 Gibbs was intimidating. Just holding the cartridge was intimidating.

But when you look at the width of the stock butt compared to a smaller rifle, you realize the energy is spread out in a wide area.
Many say the .500 category is their max. After shooting my .505 for the first time yesterday. It is not my max. It didn’t bother me at all. I have smaller rifles that hurt more. I’ve shot quite a few .300 and 338 win mags that felt far worse.

Now I will put it on the sticks and shoot it for a group this weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StevieMiel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob