For Sale 11.2X72 Schuler

Interesting. Utrecht is a municipality in the Netherlands and capital city of the province of Utrecht

Perhaps FR. TENHAEFF UTRECHT is actually a small retail sporting good shop that had their name added and sold this rifle.

Where are the proof marks from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale was a good friend of mine and sadly passed away a few years ago and I just acquired it from his brother who is also a good friend.The only other proof mark I can find without removing it from the stock is in this pic there is also some kind of mark on the top of the front receiver ring shown in previous pictures.
5814162538732899416.jpg

The rifle seems, due to its overall appearance, to be an original pre-WWII rifle, only the diopter was installed at a later date. As far as I know, original rifles of this caliber were only produced until before the WWII. There are few modern rifles caliber 11,2x72 Schüler made, above all by Harald Wolf in Belgium, but there must be very few of them. Does not make much sense either, the cartridge is a little outdated compared to what cartridges are available today for big bore rifles. Rifles of this caliber are primarily matters for aficionados and collectors.

It's difficult to say, only based on the photos, who built this rifle; the gunmaker Tenhaeff in Utrecht or a gunmaker in Germany, maybe in Suhl, for Tenhaeff.

Can I see the bolt proofing please and are any parts of the bolt back half numbered to it? Any trade interests?

Sorry you lost your friend Dale. His writeup on the **NOT**PERMITTED** forum was very interesting. He seemed like a good gun guy.
I think Grand Veneur is correct in that the maker could either be Tenhaeff in Utrecht or a gun maker in Germany; I believe the latter is more correct.
If you are able to remove the barreled action without much difficulty, you may find more markings on the bottom metal.
Regardless of who made it, it is a nice mauser actiuon prewar rifle in an interesting caliber. As you friend Dale said, it might not be agood idea to load it to top velocity (I think around 2300fps or so) as the rifle is light for caliber and not a great idea to stress the stock.

Thanks for the interest but I'm not really interested in any trades at this time.I will check the bolt and get pics.

His brother told me he did load up some stout loads and it was very unpleasant to shoot...LoL

Looks like a very high quality rifle for sure. Ammo and the crack at the tang are gonna be the limiting factors here. Still a good value for someone....................GLWS...........FWB

It is a beautiful rifle, and with that cartridge I would be shocked if there were zero cracks honestly. There is a crack at the right receiver as well, this would be nice to see with the action out.

... . As you friend Dale said, it might not be a good idea to load it to top velocity (I think around 2300fps or so) as the rifle is light for caliber and not a great idea to stress the stock.

You will hardly achieve more than a muzzle velocity of 2300 fps when reloading, unless you are working with fast burning powders in pressure ranges that are no longer safe. The bullets have to be set deep otherwise the cartridges want not fit into the magazine, what reduces the capacity of the case, a capacity anyway not very big for a cartridge of this caliber.

You will hardly achieve more than a muzzle velocity of 2300 fps when reloading, unless you are working with fast burning powders in pressure ranges that are no longer safe. The bullets have to be set deep otherwise the cartridges want not fit into the magazine, what reduces the capacity of the case, a capacity anyway not very big for a cartridge of this caliber.
At last a man who knows his rifles and calibers.

Looking forward to pictures. There is something unusual about your rifle and pictures of the proofs below the wood could really help understand what that is. Regards

LoadData has several loads that are in the 2450 fps range and of course, not with fast burning powders. Considering the rifle age and weight, I would be inclined to load down from those velocities.

An OAL of 3.5 (88.90) is theory.

In practice a maximum of 84,5mm is only possible, otherwise the cartridges do not fit into the magazine.

The previous owner sent me this today and said there was more information if he can find it in his Dad and brothers records as they kept very detailed records on their guns.
322718861761240456.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shelia90J

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you