FN Mauser bolt?

70worm

AH member
Reaction score
I'm new to Mauser actions, is this normal? Cycles great, just wobbles alot.

They will do that. Never saw one that didn't. Also never had one "jamb" up. Not to say it can't happen though.

They all flop around a bit

Thanks. It hits the stock, but it's a hunting rifle so no big deal I guess. Funny how it cycles so smooth then feels like it's going to fall out. I wonder if Mausers were designed that way for a reason?

Thanks. It hits the stock, but it's a hunting rifle so no big deal I guess. Funny how it cycles so smooth then feels like it's going to fall out. I wonder if Mausers were designed that way for a reason?
I have to admit none of the rifles I have based on Mauser actions hit the stock, as with any used gun purchase I would have a Gunsmith take a peak at it

None of my 3 mausers hit the stock... but all three have a lot of “wiggle” in them when the bolt is fully to the rear..

I don’t think you have anything abnormal going on from what I can see in the video...

Your rifle has a raised cheek piece on the stock that looks a little higher than the stocks on my rifles.. if one of my rifles wore the same stock I would guess I’d get a little contact between the cocking piece at the bottom of the bolt and the stock like you’re getting...

"...I wonder if Mausers were designed that way for a reason?" Yes, reliability is the reason. Keep in mind these were designed for the Military and function is far more important than looks. That built in tolerance allows that rifle to be operated in unreal conditions. Funny that the next fabulous weapon they designed was the German Luger, something with extremely tight tolerances.

The bolt making contact with the stock varies from one stock to the next. Not a variation from one action to another.

I suppose you could take a little off your Cheek piece if it bothers you, Even my New Winchester 375HH wobbles a bit and every Savage I have does the Same. Of course you can ship the gun to me for proper disposal, I'll even pay for shipping:)

I didn't mean hitting the stock, I meant the looseness at the end of the bolt travel being designed in for some reason.

The looseness is normal and makes sense. You have a lot of unsupported bolt when it's fully to the rear. And as others mentioned, the Mauser was designed to cycle even when full of mud, sand etc. I would trim the comb and do a spot refinish to eliminate the contact. Then go hunting.

I have 3 FN Commercial 98s. All are a bit loose with the bolt fully back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,