flying with rifles??

just getting ready to cut the foam on my 1750 with 2 scoped rifles a CZ550 1-4 power Leupold and a Rem 700 with a Leupold 6.5-20 and will fit nicely along with the suppersor
Use an electric knife! So much easier for cutting foam.
 
Definitely only one case!
The Pelican 1750 is the standard by which others are judged. However, I opted to go with a TuffPak and it’s been on two trips and will go on my next, also additional range use.
There are several features which attracted me to it. First, it doesn’t look like a traditional gun case, as it is basically cylindrical. Secondly, it doesn’t have foam. Instead you put your rifles in well padded soft cases and slide them in. (NOTE: If you get the Pelican, you can remove some foam layers and put cased rifles in) Additionally you can fill around the guns with clothes. I put an insulated jacket and rain jacket in the bottom. Then put in my rifles and a set of shooting sticks. Another trick I found is the molded in side handle is hollow and a cleaning rod (slightly flexed) can be inserted. Well under 50# with two rifles.
The only thing is that inserting and withdrawing the rifles can be cumbersome. You need to either lay the case on it’s side or have a tall ceiling.
 
If you’re taking Delta, from reading on this site and Delta regulations:

1 gun case not to exceed 50lbs., 1 ammo case not to exceed 11 lbs. with case, 1 carry-on with clothing, 1 personal item (backpack, etc.) with electronics/scopes/optics.

It starts at $350 for the extra bag…
I think they allow 2 checked bags since it is a over seas flight, and if you are over weight or over sized then they nail you.I know this past April United allowed 2 checked bags for over seas flights.
 
Pelican Vault V800 worked well for me flying from SA to Namibia. Fit two scoped rifles in their rifle bags/slips. All arrived at the hunting destination and back home with perfect zero. Make sure you have something that locks well with no movement possible on the rifles internally. The luggage handlers seem to do their best to try and stuff it up if they realise there are rifles inside.

All the best
 
I think they allow 2 checked bags since it is a over seas flight, and if you are over weight or over sized then they nail you.I know this past April United allowed 2 checked bags for over seas flights.
You gun case is one checked bag, your ammo case is the other. Both must be checked.
 
You gun case is one checked bag, your ammo case is the other. Both must be checked.
when flying in the US you put your ammo case in your checked luggage bag, on Airlink in So Africa your ammo box goes separately and they do not charge you for it
 
You know better than I, but I was told that it must go separately. Like everything else, I’m sure it goes with who you get and their interpretation at the time.
 
Your 5kg/11lbs of ammo is to be stowed inside a checked bag.
 
The Peli 1750 is a LOT of case to be hauling around.
consider dismantling the rifle/s and putting them in either a Peli 3220 or 3100. Bring a small torque wrench or index the screws prior to taking them apart.
 
My standard advice: (1) keep an eye on eBay for Americase, or 'aluminium gun case', and so on. You can often pick up a bargain. There's someone at the moment selling a 'Thermodyne Shot-Stop' rifle case - I have no idea whether it's any good - but it may, or may not, suit your needs. (2) sendmybag.com if you go overweight. (3) Buy a small handheld luggage scale from Amazon and weigh your luggage.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,221
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top