Flying with a fixed blade knife

Earls's Son

New member
Joined
Oct 11, 2024
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
I have a question about flying with a fixed blade belt knife in a sheath. I was recently gifted a gorgeous custom-made knife from one of my closest friends with a "request" for me to take it with me on my next safari. Having said that I've read an untold number of posts here on AH of hunters having stuff stolen from their luggage or gun cases. Based on that and in conjunction with knowing full well that I can't legally be in my carry-on where have those that have taken a belt knife with them stored them while flying that would more than like "ensure" me that it will be there when I get back to the US. I'm flying to Joburg in August and would hate like hell to let my friend down by leaving it stateside, but I'd feel even worse if it was stolen in transit. Can a knife be put in a PVC tube with capped ends and be placed in my "checked bag" luggage or in my locked gun case ? Any insight / advice would be greatly appreciated
 
Different countries have different rules.

In South Africa I put my knife, and a few other things in my gun case. Never a problem.
 
I took a very special custom Damascus bladed hunter with me on my first trip. I literally just rolled it up in a pair of pants. No worries.
 
My vote would be gun case. On my last trip I had a cheap knife get stolen (mine) and a very expensive Untamed knife (not mine) not get stolen. The difference was the Untamed knife was wrapped up in a hat. I think the thieves move quick. They take what they can see quickly I think.
 
Can a knife be put in a PVC tube with capped ends and be placed in my "checked bag" luggage or in my locked gun case ? Any insight / advice would be greatly appreciated
On every safari I take my fixed blade knife.
If I travel with gun, it goes in locked guns case.
If I travel without gun, I just dump the knife in a leather sheeth in checked in luggage.
Once I bought some spears, for souvenirs, dismantled them, and put in checked in luggage.
There was no problem at all, ever.

Having been concerned that knife can be stolen, during any part of voyage to Africa and back, I bought some cheap knife i take on the trips.
Good ones (expensive) I keep at home.

This is my pelican case for safari trip:

1784898337179.jpeg
 
I always travel with a knife, have put both in the gun case and luggage, all locked Pelican hard cases. I think the biggest thing is always use an iTag so you know where you bag is and understand that if it doesn't show up on time it has been held by thieves and you're going to be missing stuff. For some reason they don't seem as apt to break into a gun case, there must be a more severe penalty if they get caught doing that. So far those black jackals in Jo'Burg have gotten me for $2000 camera, $2300 pair of Leica binos and a Surefire flashlight. And by the way, don't even waste you time filing a claim, they will never pay you.....theivery is part of their business model.
 
I always travel with a knife or two. Gun case or in checked bag, I switched to a Luggex Aluminum roller bag and everything stays secure and dry. No issues last trips with anything.
 
I put mine in the my rifle pelican case inside the zip up canvas bag that I keep screw driver tips, gun oil, ect in and we went through Johannesburg and on to Harare and same return route with no problem.
 
I took a very special custom Damascus bladed hunter with me on my first trip. I literally just rolled it up in a pair of pants. No worries.
Likewise, anything I think may be stollen in my check in baggage I try to wrap it up in clothing to make potential thieves have to look for it. So far nothing has ever been stolen from me after all my safaris.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,903
Members
169,463
Latest member
DarrylTeno
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top