Flying Qatar Airlines

I’ve flown on QA twice out of Houston. First trip was in 2019. In spite of having confirmation email for my rifles, they didn’t at check-in. This caused a bit of a delay getting checked in, but not too bad and it was resolved shortly. Somehow they also got our seat assignments switched without telling us, this was more bothersome. Fortunately we noticed this while waiting at the gate for the flight and got it resolved. We did get a hotel room in Doha for the layover and that was a bit pricy. On return, the check-in process was a bit longer than needed with the weapons. Overall I was still pleased with the overall experience and the price at the time was difficult to beat.

Second trip was this past October to Uganda. Only complaint on this trip was again at check-in at Uganda for trip back, slower than it needed to be for certain. Again the price was hard to beat. The flights and the planes have been all I could expect.

The only other airline that has competed in my mind for quality of service combined with price is Emirates. Emirates is also the only airline where check-in for the return leg had a person of competence at the counter and she knew my name before I got there and addressed me as such. All other airlines could learn from them on that has been my experience.

But I would fly with Qatar again and in fact is at the top of my list. Emirates fell out of favor during the Covid years, but prior to was well regarded. I hope they’re back now.

Reading a lot of these post I have found that if a person is flying business class with Qatar they highly recommend them. If flying cattle class they don't.

I flew cattle class, the plane was packed like sardines in a can. That extra 8 hours to Joberg was a pain in the rear. Qatar gave away my seat on the Joberg to Doha return leg and I had to suffer with a middle seat. I am tall and just don't fit into that middle seat. The plane was packed enough that I wouldn't of accomplished a thing by complaining.

If I return to South Africa it will be with one of the airlines that have a direct flight.

Reading a lot of these post I have found that if a person is flying business class with Qatar they highly recommend them. If flying cattle class they don't.

I flew cattle class, the plane was packed like sardines in a can. That extra 8 hours to Joberg was a pain in the rear. Qatar gave away my seat on the Joberg to Doha return leg and I had to suffer with a middle seat. I am tall and just don't fit into that middle seat. The plane was packed enough that I wouldn't of accomplished a thing by complaining.

If I return to South Africa it will be with one of the airlines that have a direct flight.

Don’t count me in that group. I’ve only flown coach with them and save for once about 30 years ago, I never have.

Yep, at 66 I fly business and would recommend Qatar or Emirates over US airlines. Good thing is usually every third flight is free between CC points and mileage points.

I'm thinking +1 on a direct flight. Plus, there won't be the extra $200 transfer fee for the guns from Qatar to American coming back to DIA from DFW. That fee is BS!

Flying Qatar business this April. After last years mess with United, never again.
So much easier for me living 1.5 hours from Houston to fly Qatar. It is only actually 4 hours longer flying time than taking Delta, with the layovers in Atlanta, for me. I got lucky and only have 2 hour layovers in Doha both ways this year.
Houston Customs is a breeze compared to Atlanta and Newark, and no having to recheck bags.

Well said. I won’t be on Qatar this year or until the business class tickets come down out of the atmosphere!
The past couple of years, IIRC, people were quoting ~$5k or so for round trip from IAH or DFW to JNB on Qatar. For 2023, it's close to $10k. Ouch! I am looking at other options with @TRAVEL EXPRESS right now for my trip to Zambia.

I have flown QA the last two years. I just looked at business fares for my safari in November and they are significantly higher, which is what I have heard. Does anyone think fares will start to come down this spring?

Funny I was just looking at flights in September for JNB and the normally approachable Business class Quatar/Emirates flights are twice as much as American. Will keep watching for a bit but most likely go with American at the current price.

HH

I’ve flown on QA twice out of Houston. First trip was in 2019. In spite of having confirmation email for my rifles, they didn’t at check-in. This caused a bit of a delay getting checked in, but not too bad and it was resolved shortly. Somehow they also got our seat assignments switched without telling us, this was more bothersome. Fortunately we noticed this while waiting at the gate for the flight and got it resolved. We did get a hotel room in Doha for the layover and that was a bit pricy. On return, the check-in process was a bit longer than needed with the weapons. Overall I was still pleased with the overall experience and the price at the time was difficult to beat.

Second trip was this past October to Uganda. Only complaint on this trip was again at check-in at Uganda for trip back, slower than it needed to be for certain. Again the price was hard to beat. The flights and the planes have been all I could expect.

The only other airline that has competed in my mind for quality of service combined with price is Emirates. Emirates is also the only airline where check-in for the return leg had a person of competence at the counter and she knew my name before I got there and addressed me as such. All other airlines could learn from them on that has been my experience.

But I would fly with Qatar again and in fact is at the top of my list. Emirates fell out of favor during the Covid years, but prior to was well regarded. I hope they’re back now.
Was the room in Doha worth it? I’ll have a 9 hour layover on my trip to Zim and I’m debating on a room or lounge.

The past couple of years, IIRC, people were quoting ~$5k or so for round trip from IAH or DFW to JNB on Qatar. For 2023, it's close to $10k. Ouch! I am looking at other options with @TRAVEL EXPRESS right now for my trip to Zambia.
I think Qatar has gotten too big for their britches after the World Cup! I know off season (anytime but June, July, & August) there can be some deals. Maybe from IAH you can get Emirates but they usually have terribly long layovers. Qatar is near perfect in many ways but the price now!

Any experiences on flying out of Washington D.C. with Qatar to Harare? I'll be meeting with Travel Express at the SCI convention to discuss details.

Qatar is my favorite airline. I don‘t recall the firearms paperwork being too bad. TWG helped me with that part. I did have trouble with one particularly clueless ticket counter agent in Dallas who wanted to deny my checked bag because the travel agent at TWG hadn’t done something. Not my gun case…my carry on! I just refused to leave the line and after 30 minutes he finally deemed my checked bag ready for loading.
Doug,
Pretty much all airlines are like this now. It is hit or miss at the counter whether or not you encounter intelligent life! AA tried to say we had to have Gun permits in hand for RSA last year. I kept schooling her until she changed her mind.

I have only done 4 trips over. Two on Delta comfort plus. United Polaris and Qatar Q suite. Qatar is hands down way better than the others. I will fly Qatar from now on.
Being close to Houston it's a no brainer. With the layovers on the others it's only 3 hours more travel time and Qatar land at 4am in Johannesburg. That gives an extra day basically. Paperwork for guns was not an issue for me. Houston is easy check in and claiming on way back was a breeze.
Mark you have it made departing from IAH. Those of us out in the Wild West are jealous!

During covid they down to 3200 for biz. Was a steal
We got it for $4000 and now we are spoiled. I'll check it every year! Trouble now is that they don't release the better fare classes until closer to departure. This makes it difficult for me to organize a big group of hunters early like I am accustomed to.

My issue is I am flying to JKO (Kilimanjaro) airport in Tanzania and besides QA, choices are limited. Last time, we flew KLM through Amsterdam, which requires an extra gun permit, and also the hassle of flying through NY, NJ or Dulles. We might be stuck with QA going through DFW.

My issue is I am flying to JKO (Kilimanjaro) airport in Tanzania and besides QA, choices are limited. Last time, we flew KLM through Amsterdam, which requires an extra gun permit, and also the hassle of flying through NY, NJ or Dulles. We might be stuck with QA going through DFW.

Have you tried Turkish? Their business is excellent, but it’s not Emirates business. Istanbul airport is super nice, easy to get around and very clean.

Have you tried Turkish? Their business is excellent, but it’s not Emirates business. Istanbul airport is super nice, easy to get around and very clean.

+1

Turkish isn’t Emeriates or Qatar… but it’s nice… and frankly every bit as nice or nicer than any US based carrier in terms of aircraft cabins and customer service/staff…

I haven’t flown Turkish into anywhere in Africa.. but I’ve flown the Dulles - Istanbul route with them a few times and caught them on a few European flights as well as a domestic flight between Istanbul and Ephesus.. and have never been disappointed by them…

I have flown Turkish to Tajikistan in 2018 and it was excellent. I will have to check if they fly to JKO but I don’t think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross