Flight PCR testing getting easier...

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I was concerned as Zimbabwe requires a negative PCR test 48 hours prior to arrival as opposed to 72 hours for other countries. My flight from departure to arrival to Zimbabwe has via Emirates is 40 hours of travel time (15 hour layover at Dubai).

That doesn't give me much time. Basically I have to get the test results the day of travel. Luckily now I have options at LAX, and it might even get better. Just gotta make sure the people in Zimbabwe are aware of the time difference between CA and Zimbabwe.

1615310132571.png

That’s awesome somewhere in USA is actually publishing less than 24 hour turn around. There is testing at Pittsburgh airport too but sign says 3-4 days results but girls at counter told me 2-3 days. I think covid consultants mail in test is still best option where I am located prior to departure.

There is also a Lancet test facility at Harare Airport to cover the eventuality of your 48 hrs expiring en route.
Yeah, but I am hoping to hang out at whatever hotel I end up going to with a single malt that evening than a waiting area for results at the Harare airport.

Hoping you avoid the dreaded false positive test....................FWB

Hoping you avoid the dreaded false positive test....................FWB
I am planning on having one test the day before and another the day of travel. So, I have it covered. Also, there are still 5 months before wheels up so hopefully by that time proof of vaccine might supersede the Covid tests.

I am in the same boat next week. Going to just get it day of departure and hope for the best.

I caveat the above by saying that I have already had covid and now have had the vaccine. Would not typically be that careless before a trip.

I am in the same boat next week. Going to just get it day of departure and hope for the best.

One thing to make sure. I know Dubai requires a written result, and most likely the same for Zim. I'd make sure you can print the result before you get on the plane.

Edit: The testing lab just responded to my question regarding this. The result is a PDF document one can download and print. Business/first class lounges at LAX have printers, so it will be easy to print the results.

Last edited:
I just got back from Hawaii on Sunday. Took a PCR 72 hrs before departure to Hawaii (Hawaii required) and results were back in less than 24 hrs. Took a rapid on arrival in Hawaii (Hawaii required) and results in less than 2 hrs. (they don't call unless your positive. no news is good news) Then another PCR test (voluntary) when arriving back in Alaska and results back in less than 12 hrs.

I am still researching my options for May 28 flight out of Houston. Due to where I live and PCR test availability I am still leaning to Covid Consultants mail in test unless something changes

What happens if the PCR test comes back positive? I assume you're not allowed on the plane? At that point does the trip insurance refund all the expenses? Or just 75% or what happens then?

What happens if the PCR test comes back positive? I assume you're not allowed on the plane? At that point does the trip insurance refund all the expenses? Or just 75% or what happens then?

That’s the one variable we will all face. What if a positive test comes back before departure. Even if it’s a false positive. At that point if it happens I guess hunt is postponed and try and sort out. I thought about doing two tests with different places here in Texas. But if one comes back negative and the other positive you are in same spot. Because it gets reported to state and you won’t be flying out. I plan on allowing enough time before departure to be able to have a second test done and challenge first if it comes back positive

Emirates covers you as a matter of course in regards to ticket expenses. The Safari fees will be between you and the PH.

Now, due diligence is up to you. Personally, I will have the vaccine before I leave. I am also planning on limiting my exposure to unvaccinated people for two weeks prior to my flight date. I am also planning on having a test the day before and the day of travel in case of a false positive.

I was concerned as Zimbabwe requires a negative PCR test 48 hours prior to arrival as opposed to 72 hours for other countries. My flight from departure to arrival to Zimbabwe has via Emirates is 40 hours of travel time (15 hour layover at Dubai).

That doesn't give me much time. Basically I have to get the test results the day of travel. Luckily now I have options at LAX, and it might even get better. Just gotta make sure the people in Zimbabwe are aware of the time difference between CA and Zimbabwe.

View attachment 392383
40 hours of travel time? WTF! This travelling to Africa is getting more stupid by the posts (minutes) here!

40 hours of travel time? WTF! This travelling to Africa is getting more stupid by the posts (minutes) here!
~16 hours LAX to Dubai
14 (not 15) hours layover at the airport (Emirates puts you up at the airport hotel)
~10 hours Dubai to Harare

In reality it is more than 40 hours of travel as I'd have to leave my house 4.5 hours before the flight to get in line to check in 3 hours before flight. I am leaving on July 28th and will be at camp in the afternoon of the 31st, after a 6 hour drive, with first day of hunting starting on August 1. (Zimbabwe is 10 hours ahead, that is the reason for leaving early).

Coming back is not as bad as I have only a little over a 2 hour layover in Dubai and gain 10 hours back. So, I leave Harare early evening of the 22nd and be at LAX afternoon of the 23rd. 28 hours of total travel time, not counting drive from camp.

~16 hours LAX to Dubai
14 (not 15) hours layover at the airport (Emirates puts you up at the airport hotel)
~10 hours Dubai to Harare

In reality it is more than 40 hours of travel as I'd have to leave my house 4.5 hours before the flight to get in line to check in 3 hours before flight. I am leaving on July 28th and will be at camp in the afternoon of the 31st, after a 6 hour drive, with first day of hunting starting on August 1. (Zimbabwe is 10 hours ahead, that is the reason for leaving early).

Coming back is not as bad as I have only a little over a 2 hour layover in Dubai and gain 10 hours back. So, I leave Harare early evening of the 22nd and be at LAX afternoon of the 23rd. 28 hours of total travel time, not counting drive from camp.
Oh, how flying would be much faster with the Concorde SST if they hadn't cancelled it?

Well, it is not the flight time but the routes that add time to getting to various countries in Africa. Direct flights to various countries are non existent.

Also, I don't think the Concorde had the range anyway for a 16 hour (or equivalent at faster speed). It was designed for Heathrow to JFK "commuter" flight.

Well, it is not the flight time but the routes that add time to getting to various countries in Africa. Direct flights to various countries are non existent.

Also, I don't think the Concorde had the range anyway for a 16 hour (or equivalent at faster speed). It was designed for Heathrow to JFK "commuter" flight.
Very true. But since that time, nothing much has changed regarding flight times/layovers. Everything else seems to have gotten faster except the airlines and mail? Ha! Ha!

Has anyone heard about possibly having an additional PCR test conducted BEFORE your departure flight from US, to South Africa (this test will need to be conducted so there is an elapsed time of 72 hours or less upon arrival in SA)? My PH sent me a note this morning advising on having a test taken before my flight leaves Washington DC, besides the one I plan on taking late week for Saturday analysis and leaving the next day.
Also, there is a note concerning the home applied PCR test as not being accepted....I have made arrangements with Covid Consultants, concerned even with taking the kit to my doctor or local Urgent Care for them to collect and ship for me that those results could get denied upon entry.
Link below for the latest update on SA that was sent to me:

https://www.gov.za/covid-19/models/current-alert-provincemetro

I am beginning to get a couple degrees above frustrated right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeauC1305

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross