Fixed power scopes

Started putting Nikons on rifles when Leupold decided to jack the price of the VX-II up 40%. Should have started sooner as I find them brighter than the Leupold. Not sure how many Buckmasters and Monarchs I have, but when they decided to quit making them I bought 3 more 3x9-40s for future use. Still have 1 left waiting for a mount.
While a few rifles wear fixed 4x scopes, I prefer the variables, even though they typically get carried around on 4x or 5x and only get turned up while sighting in or an animal allows some extra time for the shot. More and more rifles are getting low powered variables as the calibers get bigger.
 
Did Nikon ever give a reason why they would have quit making riflescopes? I'm still wondering if they have discontinued the digital Nikon Df, which is the only replacement I consider for my fil cameras.
 
I have a 6x Weaver on a Flags FN in 264 since 1965 without issues. Took 7 elk in Wyoming during the 1970s. Paid $31 for the scope. Never a time did I need a variable power. However, while hunting the Selous with the PH loaner 375 with a fixed 6x in had a suicidal wilderbeast come running directly toward us out of the brush through scattered trees and brush which made it difficult to focus as he was getting close. Wish I had had a lower power scope or open sights. I got him but was seeing mostly hair.
 
I doubt cost is a factor these days as the variables are common and mass produced where the fixed power scopes are somewhat of a specialty item. No doubt variables are a bit heavier and bulkier though but other than on mountain rifles the additional 8oz or so likely isn't that big of a deal and even on mountain rifles, it's nice to have higher end magnification as shots are often long.
I think cost is a factor, especially if buying second hand.

For example, I bought a 2016 production 8x56 s&b klassik (30mm) scope for £325 ($360) for my last rifle. With box and papers, virtually unused.

I defy anyone to find a variable power of that quality for less than twice what I paid.

Fixed powers are unfashionable and therefore cheap.

As for the weight, personally I agree, but a lot of folks are willing to spend a lot of money on a custom gun to knock off that kinda weight vs standard factory offerings, so for some it clearly does matter.

I've used that rifle and 8 power optic from 30 to 300yds hunting, and out to 600 at the range. I reckon its a pretty flexible spec.

In fact, my only variable scope was on my dg rifle. A 1-6 power straight tube.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,571,831
Members
169,424
Latest member
noxivamdk
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top